UKC

[ACCESS] BBQs in Northumberland!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 odox 22 Apr 2013
I was climbing at a rather busy Kyloe Out on Saturday and my partner pointed out a BBQ which was underneath the Saint's Wall area.

I politely and calmly asked the 'perpetrator' to move the BBQ away from the rock, at the time the flames where licking over the roof. He did so without argument.

I'd imagine this guy wasn't really a climber (if he was then he should know better) - more someone who'd come along with others. PLEASE REMEMBER to educate your friends before taking them along to the crag with you. Apart from the obvious damage to the rock this can cause access issues and at a worse case scenario, a banning of all climbing at the crag.

As the crag was already at a high capacity - I counted 22 cars parked - incidents like these only strain access issues on private land.

Please be responsible and take responsibility for you and anyone you bring along for the ride.
 Mike-W-99 22 Apr 2013
In reply to odox:
Thanks for that, we carried out their mess which had been "hidden" under a bush. Assumed it had been from a few days ago.
 Roberttaylor 22 Apr 2013
In reply to odox: I was there on Saturday and saw no evidence of the BBQing, I was mainly at the other end of the crag though. Good effort to the guy who carried it out.
 JDal 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Just so people are aware, Kyloes Out and In and most of Back Bowden are on private land and not Open Access land, so we are climbing at these important crags by the goodwill of the landowner. BBQ's here are a stupid idea.
 Fiona Reid 22 Apr 2013
In reply to JDal:

Indeed, a number of years back I observed BBQ being carried out in a metal supermarket shopping basket (I doubt the supermarket donated this knowingly!!) by a group from one of the local Unis. Basically a basket full of hot coals burning straight on the ground, how intelligent! The fact this was taking place a few metres away from the trees beggars belief.
 Roberttaylor 22 Apr 2013
In reply to odox: Also, Kyloe out is a lot nicer now that the trees are gone.
 Roberttaylor 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid: Pro tip, if you light a fire and turn a metal shopping basket upside down over it it makes a superb grill for sausages.
OP odox 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
Unbelievable! If that's the same group then that's really out of order. I guess that's another problem with BBQs, once they are lit they take a long time to cool down for removal.

Another reason for discouraging them around crags.
 Dave Ing 23 Apr 2013
In reply to odox:
> I guess that's another problem with BBQs, once they are lit they take a long time to cool down for removal.

A few litres of water soon cools them down enough for the cool ash to be spread at the base of desirable plants as a fertiliser. May not be as good with paraffin-impregnated / instant light briquettes
 toad 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Ing:
> (In reply to odox)
> [...]
>
> A few litres of water soon cools them down enough for the cool ash to be spread at the base of desirable plants as a fertiliser. May not be as good with paraffin-impregnated / instant light briquettes

Disposable BBQs do a lot of cumulative damage if they are sat directly on the ground, regardless of the fire risk
OP odox 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Ing:
>to be spread at the base of desirable plants as a fertiliser.

Ha, believe me we don't need any more fertiliser at Kyloe Out - we've only just cleaned up the place from overgrowth a few years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...