UKC

ukc app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 23 Apr 2013
Anyone else think there should be a ukc app for smart phones?? Would make using it on my phone so much easier
 Alpenglow 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserBoanasBall: I second that!
Green-Winged Orchid 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserBoanasBall: just save it to your home screen. It does the same thing it's just not called an app
 Kimono 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserBoanasBall:
Lovely in theory but please do try to remember that UKC tries its very hardest to stay in the stone-ages in terms of web interfaces.

You may remember the rather long thread a while back in which many people advocated some very restricted but helpful changes...none of which have (so far at least) come to pass
 Kimono 24 Apr 2013
ps one of which was the suggestion that they could make the site easier to use on smartphones...this suggestion has been proposed many times but there are unfortunately some dinosaurs on here who think that absolutely nothing needs to change and that its all perfectly fine as it as
 Only a hill 24 Apr 2013
UKC doesn't need an app. It just needs a more responsive web design, like for example this forum:

http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/

It renders differently on desktops and mobile devices, and works perfectly on both. UKC is an absolute pain in the behind to use on a phone.
 EeeByGum 24 Apr 2013
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to BoanasBall)
> Lovely in theory but please do try to remember that UKC tries its very hardest to stay in the stone-ages in terms of web interfaces.

That is a little unfair. UKC was way ahead its time before Facebook and the like came out.

The question you need to ask, is why would they bother spending several months of time developing an App that would almost certainly generate little or no cash in return?
 Sir Chasm 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Thank you for linking an example of exactly what I don't want ukc to looking like.
KevinD 24 Apr 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

they have these and possibly more for iphone. I vaguely recall a thread about them having difficulty finding someone to work with for android.

http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/seller/ukclimbing-limited.html

interesting how kieran b confuses web interfaces and apps.
 Only a hill 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to Only a hill) Thank you for linking an example of exactly what I don't want ukc to looking like.

Why not? It's a far more usable design than UKC.
> Anyone else think there should be a ukc app for smart phones?? Would make using it on my phone so much easier

It would be good to make it a little easier to use on smart phones for sure. It is certainly on the ToDo list.

Ahead of it at the moment is our Rockfax App which is one of the most important developments we will be making. This is taking up most of our App development resources at the moment.

For site development - there were some good suggestions a few weeks ago on a thread about ways to improve the forums. We wanted to wait for the responses from the survey to find out more emphatically what people what thought of them and we had some questions specifically aimed at forum improvements. The survey ends at the end of the month and then we will have to analyse the data which could take a while.

Things may appear to move slowly but they do move.

Alan
 Sir Chasm 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Well, as you ask: gold stars? ffs, we don't all work in mcdonalds. Multiple colours in posts? wtf? Are you 6 with your first multicolour pen? Avatars? Why? I can read what you're writing, I don't need some tw*ttish cartoon picture on the screen. Multiple page threads? Put it all on one page, y'know, one thread, one page. Embedded pictures? Why? If I want to see your photos I'll open them.
And ukc works on my phone.
KevinD 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

> UKC is an absolute pain in the behind to use on a phone.

which phone?
find it fine with chrome on nexus 4 (tad tempermental with firefox beta).
 london_huddy 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I agree. I've been a member since 2000 and it's my longest standing forum membership and that's down in part to the fact that it's a fabulously clean and clear interface. No avatars or any of that rubbish for me, thank you.

Things like the dpreview.com forums are a complete nightmare to use in comparison, for example.

Yes, it would be great if the fora rendered better on my phone but on my tablet and PC, they're the best I've seen.

Sorry to be so positive (and Alan hadn't been paying me btw, although I'd be up for it ).
 Only a hill 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to Only a hill) Well, as you ask: gold stars? ffs, we don't all work in mcdonalds. Multiple colours in posts? wtf? Are you 6 with your first multicolour pen? Avatars? Why? I can read what you're writing, I don't need some tw*ttish cartoon picture on the screen. Multiple page threads? Put it all on one page, y'know, one thread, one page. Embedded pictures? Why? If I want to see your photos I'll open them.
> And ukc works on my phone.

Steam engines also work just fine, but we don't still use them everywhere, do we?

I'm not saying UKC should copy the design of that site, I'm just saying that responsive mobile web design SHOULD be implemented, because information-dense lists of tiny links is fine for desktop use, but NOT for mobile use where people want to hit links with their fingers and not a mouse pointer. Good grief, it's hardly rocket science.
 Only a hill 24 Apr 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
>
> [...]
>
> which phone?
> find it fine with chrome on nexus 4 (tad tempermental with firefox beta).

Same here. It works, it's just clunky and poorly designed for mobile use.
 EeeByGum 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm: Must resist change!
 ebygomm 24 Apr 2013
In reply to dissonance:

Fine on every phone i've ever used with opera mini (going back as far as a Nokia 3200)
 ericinbristol 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:

+1. Clean format that is fine to use on phones.
 Sir Chasm 24 Apr 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: Aye, if it's new it must be better.
 SimonMarcYoung 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserBoanasBall: Don't get in a great big mood in the forum that you don't want it to change. as has just been stated their waiting for the results of the survey so if the majority don't want avatars and that (me being one of the people who doesn't) then it won't happen, their just trying to wait and do whats best for everyone, they are making changes slowly but surely, it's easy to have a go but i bet half of you would do a much worse job if you where in charge of designing the developments, i know i would.
 Steve John B 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Sir Chasm)
> [...]
>
> Steam engines also work just fine, but we don't still use them everywhere, do we?

I thought you were well into the whole Victorian thing?
 Kimono 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
Good to hear that things are moving along, albeit slowly.
I look forward to the changes when they come
andic 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

I like the format of UKC, it is quite unique. Particularly like the profile feature which is good if looking for partners etc. I would like to have a PM facility (and possibly an email address too as over at Rockclimbing.com) though. I think the UKC code is bespoke though so adding those features may be a big pain in the ass
 Hairy Pete 24 Apr 2013
In reply to andic:
> I would like to have a PM facility (and possibly an email address too as over at Rockclimbing.com) though.

Eh? I thought it did!
 Dave 88 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

That forum you linked was absolutely dump. Also it took ages to load up on my phone. I have no problems with how ukc loads up on my iPhone.

It is highly ironic for you to be advocating modernisation!
 Only a hill 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave 88:
>
> That forum you linked was absolutely dump. Also it took ages to load up on my phone. I have no problems with how ukc loads up on my iPhone.

Having used KUF for about a year I've got to disagree. It's a great forum and I find it far more user-friendly than UKC.

> It is highly ironic for you to be advocating modernisation!

Why? I may be a Victorian geek but I live in the present day!
andic 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete:

Sorry, I mean one as part of the forum so when you log on it is immediately apparent and you can read your messages in/on UKC, I don't tend to use the email account I have registered with except for signing up for spam and forums etc.

And an andic@UKC.com account would be fairly handy too while they are at it, but is kind of cheeky to ask for
 Hairy Pete 24 Apr 2013
In reply to andic:
> (In reply to Hairy Pete)
Ah, I see.

> And an andic@UKC.com account would be fairly handy too while they are at it, but is kind of cheeky to ask for

A tad cheeky! But you never know until you ask
andic 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete:

so true and I do have an @rockclimbing.com account which I use for here as a matter of fact so you never know......
 Kemics 24 Apr 2013

for what it's worth I have no problems accessing UKC from my iPhone. I do however slack extra at work because of that :/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...