UKC

galdhoppigen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
redsonja 25 Apr 2013
has anyone done galdhoppigen in Norway? I was wondering if crampons are needed (in august). it looks like there is a section of glacier to cross. from spiterstulen. thanks
 thomm 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
I climbed it in August many years ago on a school trip. I don't think we had crampons or axes. Amazing landscape. Sorry I can't remember anything useful!
 Toby_W 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: Go up Glittertind (next door), stunning and you can look across at the queues of people walking up the less pretty tallest mountain.
If you can also do the walk beteen the two lakes (famous, Peir Gynt) as it's very pretty too.

Cheers

Toby
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I have done it twice in the summer. Axe and crampons were not needed, though the huge guided crocodiles had them and were roped together!

The peak (and a crocodile): http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/81766410
The view from the top: http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/81766421

Chris
 Simon Caldwell 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I was in one of those crocodiles, many years ago. We were roped together, but didn't have axes or crampons, even though this was September and the snow was hard and icy. The route across the glacier was so well stepped that they weren't needed. But walking independently up other hills, axes and crampons were essential.
 sbc_10 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Great pictures Chris, these shots bring back distinctly similar memories of looking across the Fjords and ice fields. I will dig out my pictures and upload them for Heidi.

SBC.
 Solaris 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Descended the voie normale years ago: some families seemed not only to have no axe or crampons but to have left the family husky to carry everything, except boots, socks and bikini bottoms...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Not sure if you know, but there is a cafe on top, staffed in the season. Sells hot drinks and various souvenirs.

Chris
 Doug 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: Only been there in late winter/spring (café barely visible & very shut) - we skied from Spiterstulen but climbed the final ridge on foot. Didn't use axe or crampons but could imagine they might be useful if the snow was hard névé
 coldfell 28 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: My vote goes for Glittertind too - only a few metres lower but beautiful, snowy and with only herds of reindeer for company. it was cold enough last August for hotaches in hands. Spiterstulen is a wonderful lodge which offers facilities for wild campers for a very small sum - there is a cooking hut with stoves, toilets and showers and we were made welcome to come and sit inside by the huge log fires in the evening. Bessegen Ridge was also a stunning trip, we went in the opposite direction to the boat load and again had it to ourselves until we passed them. Knutshoe nearby although of modest height is really quirky and has some challenging scrambling as well as outstanding wildflowers - there is a great campsite nearby at Gjende by the Sjoa river.
thanks for reminding me of a great trip I made last August with my daughter who booked a last minute cheap flight to Oslo.
redsonja 01 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: thanks for replying guys and thanks for the fab photos chris. I cant wait to go
ScottD 01 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Remember being overtaken by a young girl in shorts and vest as i bollocked all the correct hill gear up the thing.
so no is the answer from me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...