UKC

Bike Bling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 27 Apr 2013
Hi I'm looking at getting some new bike parts mainly looking at new wheels and seat post and saddle, looking at spending around £400 on wheels and new tyres and probably a carbon seat post, anyone got any recommendations.

Thanks

Andy
 Chris Harris 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:
> anyone got any recommendations.

Yes. Tell us what kind of bike it is for a start.

OP Andrew W 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Harris: This is the bike at the moment https://www.dropbox.com/s/bywarlb6tty2npf/2013-04-19%2013.10.09.jpg cannondale six13 with shimano 105 groupset and mavic open pro rims on shimano 105 hubs
 mr rob 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

What are you hoping to gain by spending money?
OP Andrew W 27 Apr 2013
In reply to mr rob: Reducing weight in the wheels mainly for climbing and a better saddle position from a new seat post.
 mr rob 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

Why does the seat post have to be carbon to offer a better saddle position? What position are you trying to change it too? looks fairly forward now, does the current seatpost have a layback on it?
 mr rob 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

Ohh and if you want to loose weight, loose the gaiterskins and get some normal road tires as opposed to puncture resistance
 andy 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W: Has anyone mentioned RS80 wheels? Dura Ace rims/Ultagra hubs for £340 a pair from Planet X.
andymac 28 Apr 2013
In reply to andy:

The Ultegras get a good write up.

Thinking about them myself
OP Andrew W 28 Apr 2013
In reply to mr rob: The gatoskins weigh 220g per tyre compared to 205g for the 4000s so I would be only looking at loosing 30g in total.
OP Andrew W 28 Apr 2013
In reply to andy: I was looking at the RS80 wheels and they seem fairly good value and I would end up saving about 300g off the wheels which would be quite nice.
 nniff 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

i bought a pair of RS80s a few weeks ago from Planet-X, with Michelin Pro-4 tyres (as recommended by Enty), some carbon and titanium skewers (pointless bling) and some lightweight tubes.

All half price, and transformed my bike. £400 all in.
 sleavesley 28 Apr 2013
In reply to nniff: what bike?
 nniff 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

A fairly ordinary alloy 105-equipped Trek of a certain age
OP Andrew W 28 Apr 2013
In reply to nniff: Where did you find the Pro-4 tyres as everywhere I look they are all around £28 each.
 JLS 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

I was going to say forget the seat post and saddle and spend all the money on the wheels...

But then I noticed you have platform pedals!

Spend the money on Look pedals (£40) and Sidi shoes (£130). Then save some more for wheels!
 JLS 28 Apr 2013
In reply to JLS:

Or is them spd pedals?
OP Andrew W 28 Apr 2013
In reply to JLS: SPDs on one side platforms on the other as they came from my commuting bike, I'm using them with road shoes at the moment and have no reason to complain.
 nniff 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W:
> (In reply to nniff) Where did you find the Pro-4 tyres as everywhere I look they are all around £28 each.

I paid £20 each at Planet-X a few weeks ago
OP Andrew W 29 Apr 2013
Has anyone used Vittoria Open Corsa EVO KS tyres as they seem to be a good price but not sure if they will withstand the general abuse fairly poor roads or if I would be better with a more puncture resistant tyre.
 Hephaestus 29 Apr 2013
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to andrew549)
>
> i bought a pair of RS80s a few weeks ago from Planet-X, with Michelin Pro-4 tyres (as recommended by Enty), some carbon and titanium skewers (pointless bling) and some lightweight tubes.
>
> All half price, and transformed my bike. £400 all in.

Snap! Good set up, and the weight reduction makes a big difference.

All I'd say is that the RS80s aren't the stiffest, and I got a fair bit of wheel rub when out of the saddle.

However, for the price I guess you have to take the rough with the smooth. And they are light.
 Richard Carter 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Hephaestus:

Just out of curiousity, how much do you weigh? Just I loaned my bike to a friend and he said the same about the RS80's, but I've never noticed anything myself. I was wondering if it's because he's heavier (I'm 70Kg, he's nearly 90Kg).

I have a cross bike with 32 spokes on each wheel and they don't really feel any stiffer either. That said I use an old Itera plastic bike as my commuting bike at the moment, so any other wheel is rock solid by comparison!
OP Andrew W 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: I weigh about 65kg and not a massively powerful rider so not too concerned if much heavier and more powerful riders find some flex in a wheel set.
OP Andrew W 30 Apr 2013
Has anyone got any reccomendations for general use tyres I'm not looking to race and don't feel that I need the full puncture protection of gatorskins or similar so looking for somthing inbetween if there is any availiable.
 Hephaestus 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to Hephaestus)
>
> Just out of curiousity, how much do you weigh? Just I loaned my bike to a friend and he said the same about the RS80's, but I've never noticed anything myself. I was wondering if it's because he's heavier (I'm 70Kg, he's nearly 90Kg).

Generally tip the scales at about 75kg. I thought they'd be okay, but had to slacken the brake calipers to accommodate the flex.
 andy 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Andrew W: Conti GS4000 - seem light enough and reliable. My brother swears by tubeless - and RS80s will (I think) take them ok.
 Escher 30 Apr 2013
In reply to andy: Second GP4000s, they feel much nicer on the road than Gatorskins and are pretty robust.

BTW about RS80's, I vary between 61-63kgs and they flexed for me too, but I do ride out of the saddle a lot. Trashed mine in a crash so they went in the bin. Bought some handbuilts (Velocity A23 rims) which weigh the same, ride much nicer, are more robust, easier to service and stiffer. Won't be buying low spoke factory wheels again as if you put them too much out of true then they go in the bin.
OP Andrew W 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Escher: I was looking at the GP4000s and so will probably get them but might stay with the current wheels and probably go to hope pro 3 on mavic open pro or similar rim at some point in the future.
OP Andrew W 06 May 2013
I've been quoted £400 for a hand build wheelset coming in a 1340g would this be a reasonable value or is it possible to find lighter wheels for less.
 Enty 06 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

Sounds good - what components?

E
OP Andrew W 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty: I can't remember but they all seemed reasonable will have another look when I've got a bit more time.
 Richard Carter 07 May 2013
In reply to Escher:

I'm obviously not riding hard enough! LOL
OP Andrew W 20 May 2013
Has anyone used carbon tubular rims from China as they look good value and could be built into a very light wheelset.
 woolsack 20 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:
> Has anyone used carbon tubular rims from China as they look good value and could be built into a very light wheelset.

Yes, I took a chance on a pair of tubular 88mm deep wheels for my TT bike and they haven't disintegrated yet and they have done a season of TT's so far. I've been using the cork Zipp brake blocks. I also went the whole hog and bought a TT frame after the wheels arrived. That also has been fine and gets quite a bit of interest at events. I did get clobbered for VAT on that though
OP Andrew W 21 May 2013
In reply to woolsack: Where did you get yours from as there seem to be a lot of people selling similar parts.
 woolsack 21 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W: Carbon Zone. Expect to pay VAT and duty. I think HMRC are wise to the $80 sample thing.

The wheels and frame were a bit of a punt really, I was willing to write it off to experience but it has worked out well. The saving was such that I could grace it with DuraAce without selling a kidney.

It's pretty much a dead ringer for a Pinarello Graal
 nniff 21 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

By way of an update on my RS80s - I hadn't noticed anything about flex, but at the weekend I did two stupid steep hills (steep for me at 20% at any rate) with just a few miles between them. The first was OK in a miserable sort of way, but by the top of the second I was totally trashed and style and rythym had gone completely out of the window (as had things like power, of which I've heard other people speak). Consequently the bike was at all sort of stupid angles as I struggled to keep going, and then I got a bit of wheel rub.

The cure is clear - slacken the back brake off a touch, get stronger, get fitter and lose a few of my 73kg. Nothing wrong with the wheels!
OP Andrew W 21 May 2013
In reply to nniff: I'm now looking at getting a set of carbon tubs build up which should be possible for around 1.1kg whilst still coming in at about £350-400
 nniff 21 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

They sound suitably sparkly!
 Enty 21 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:
> (In reply to nniff) I'm now looking at getting a set of carbon tubs build up which should be possible for around 1.1kg whilst still coming in at about £350-400

Beware! Cheap carbon wheels matey.

E
OP Andrew W 21 May 2013
In reply to Enty: Any stories about cheap carbon failures, I know extended periods of braking can have very bad effects with rim failures. Is there anything else to be aware of with cheap carbon.
 Guy 21 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W: If you are not racing then I would say forget carbon rims and especially tubs. Tubs are PITA for general riding. Carbon rims in general are very poor in the wet when braking so you might get up the hills a bit quicker but you will be descending like Wiggo rather than Nibali.

Good tyres are not so much about the weight saving but the extra grip and hence confidence you get from them.
OP Andrew W 21 May 2013
In reply to Guy: I'll probably scram the carbon idea then and go with some clinchers.

At the moment the bike weighs 8.7 Kg so could save around 600g fairly easily.
OP Andrew W 23 May 2013
What tyres does anybody recommend I was looking at these as they both seem to get good reviews and be good value at the moment.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=85815
or
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-tyres-and-tubes-bundle...
I don't race but just want something a bit more confidence inspiring than the gatorskins that I have at the moment.
 nniff 23 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

I got Michelin Pro 4 on Enty's recommendation - they're certainly light and I'm getting braver - I nearly went round 'The Bend' without touching the brakes this morning (40mph tight downhill blind left hander - not one to get wrong) - they're sticky.

I did have one that developed small longitudinal tears/splits after 100 miles but that was swapped out no question under warranty. The other and the new one are fine. I'm happy.

Having said that, and looking out of the window, I think I might just find out what they're like in the wet this afternoon. Not so happy
OP Andrew W 23 May 2013
In reply to nniff: How are they for puncture resistance as I don't want to be continually mending punctures.
 nniff 23 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

Haven't got one yet!

Mind you, 42 miles in the pouring rain tonight and it might be a different story.

Is that enough ying and yang not to hex myself? We'll see.....
OP Andrew W 23 May 2013
In reply to nniff: OK I'll give them a try and see how I find them.
 Enty 23 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

Talking of Bling - my new shoes just arrived

E
 nniff 24 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

Happy days!

nniff 25 May 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

Very happy days! Just basic Sidi for me
OP Andrew W 31 May 2013
In reply to nniff: I've been looking at wheels again and would like some opinions on this
Ambrosio Excellight S.S.C. Rim 430g
Novatec a291sb-sl and F482SB-SL hubs 288g
built up on dt swiss revolution and aluminium nipples
It seems like a very light wheel set for not much money as rims can be found for £42.75 and the hubs for £92 and spokes and nipples for 42p and 12p each. Which would mean that the wheel excluding building would be about £210 for a wheel that looks like it would come in at around 1430g. Unless I'm missing anything that looks like a nice set of wheels for not very much money.
OP Andrew W 01 Jun 2013
In reply to Andrew W: What spoke count do people recommend I weigh 66kg and not a particularly powerful person so was thinking that 24/28 would work, possibly with stans alpha 340 rim.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...