UKC

Cheshire mountain rescue, is this a joke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DeanD 28 Apr 2013
I've just found out about Cheshire mountain rescue and that they are not part of the mountain rescue England and Wales.
From what I've been told they aren't trained to the same standards and sound quite worrying.
All of there standard operating procedures seem to be different, so if they turn up to a job with a legitimate mountain rescue team they won't be singing of the same hymn sheet.
Does anyone know anymore on this.
 Big Steve 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: Google finds no results for a Cheshire mountain rescue team, only a search and rescue team http://www.cheshire-sarteam.org. If this is what you are getting confused with, they are not the same thing
OP DeanD 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Big Steve: that could be them.
OP DeanD 28 Apr 2013
My mistake they are called Cheshire search and rescue. I was told they are wanting to push out into the Peak District as well and was wondering if they were epuipt and trained to deal with any situation that they got called to
 steveriley 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:
Well I've seen them out training and they seem to take that seriously. Would you rather they didn't exist?
 Philip 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:

Perhaps you should read their website. Looks like they're recognised by the relevant national body and used by the police.

The peak district has a lot of non-mountain terrain. Perhaps you've never been, but they're aren't many peaks There is plenty of lowland terrain, and a lot of people who go walking with little experience. If someone gets lost or injured on the moors on the west side of the peaks then this group with their waterproofs, 4wd and first aid training are more than enough to find them. It's not like they'll be going up Tryfyn, and you wouldn't call out an MR team for someone lost in the New Forest would you!
 xplorer 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:

You have issues, and I don't mean issues of climber magazine
OP DeanD 28 Apr 2013
In reply to SteveRi:
I think they are a good thing as long as they stay in there area and are trained properly. I wouldn't want to be injured Inthe crag and they turn up with no morphine for me.
OP DeanD 28 Apr 2013
In reply to xplorer: haha love that comment.
 xplorer 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:

Haha feel free to use!
m0unt41n 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: They are members of ALSAR.
Their training and structure looks broadly similar to MR

MREW area coverage
http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/teams-and-regions/regions
cp123 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:
> (In reply to SteveRi)
> I think they are a good thing as long as they stay in there area and are trained properly. I wouldn't want to be injured Inthe crag and they turn up with no morphine for me.

You don't have to accept *their* help and if you are really that concerned I would suggest staying at home.
Green-Winged Orchid 28 Apr 2013
In reply to BIgYeti86: I get the feeling they turned him down.
 steveriley 28 Apr 2013
Odd. Isn't it poor form to have a go at volunteers doing something you don't seem to know much about? They clearly have different training and requirements to say the Edale or Keswick MRT ...who clearly have different training to say the Chamonix rescue people.
 Jon Wickham 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: Cheshire SAR are a member of ALSAR - the Association of Lowland Search and Rescue www.alsar.org.uk . Broadly speaking these teams cover areas of the country that don't have Mountain Rescue Teams but do provide some similar services. This is mainly searching for lost or vulnerable persons in rural and sometimes urban areas. They work under the authorisation of the Police but provide skills (search skills, search management, safety around swift water etc) that the Police don't really have, especially in terms of manpower. Many members are walkers and climbers, who just don't happen to live in mountainous areas of the country.

Good people doing an entirely unpaid, voluntary role who rely on donations for their existence - just like Mountain Rescue Teams. Definitely worth looking in to if you are a walker or climber and want to help your community.
 Dax H 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: Years ago I did some search and rescue from a kayak in conjunction with my kayaking club and the police. We were able to search areas of the river in kayaks that the police were unable to search from their ribs. One of our teams found a young girl, unfortunately it was too late by the time the police got us involved but at least she was found and recovered and the family got some closure.
By your logic we should not have been there at all.
 itsThere 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: what if they are trained to higher standards, what do we do then.
 Redsetter 28 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: It will be cheshire search and rescue, they are members of ALSAR, they are a lowland search and rescue team, very close partners to many other teams
 Big Steve 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Redsetter: That was ascertained nearly 13 hours ago
marmot hunter 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Big Steve:
If your grandad goes missing from home (not in mountainous terrain, just normal areas - woods, farms, outskirts of towns wouldn't you want trained, skilled and experienced people out there looking for him? And these people volunteer, what is the problem?
They're also part of the Local Resilience Forum no doubt, set up to help in any and all emergencies.
There's only one joke, and you're it (the OP not Redestter!)
New POD 29 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:

I'm renting a room, not far from Bosley Cloud, in sight of the cat and fiddle, and inbetween are enough places that you can climb, some of them being UNDER the ground. I'd be happy if they helped me to safety.
 Dave Garnett 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to DeanD)
> The peak district has a lot of non-mountain terrain. Perhaps you've never been, but they're aren't many peaks

And there's more upland to East Cheshire than Alderley Edge. Shutlingsloe is the Matterhorn of the Peak!

I don't know anything about this team but anyone who assumes that search and rescue in Cheshire means checking a few golf courses should have a look at a map with some contours marked on it.

ben b 29 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD: I've had some involvement in the past on training and education with the Cheshire team, and have worked with a couple of team members in their day job. Like every other MRT / SAR I have ever had any contact with they are a bunch of highly motivated volunteers who give up their spare time freely to help others. Whilst they aren't Edale or Llanberis they are, in my experience, good folk who work hard.

"I've just found out about...", "from what I've been told" - sounds like you are passing on potentially ill-informed pub talk / innuendo. Given your stated address, if you have concerns maybe you could become involved and find out for yourself rather than being critical in your posting from a position of little knowledge?

Ben

MonkeyPuzzle 29 Apr 2013
Think the OP may have got the point by now. Just a thought.
 cmgcmg 29 Apr 2013
In reply to DeanD:

If you want a proper 'joke' mountain rescue team then look no further: http://www.pidleymountainrescue.org.uk/

the 'joke' is that they are in the flattest part of the UK. The mountains they help people climb are the everyday problems that disabled and disadvantaged people within Huntingdonshire face.

Only £10 to join so dig deep.

(ALSAR is no joke and definitely has its place in the UKSAR structure)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...