UKC

Tent help wanted ( 5 weeks in the Lakes)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevedude888 01 May 2013
Hi all
From July-August i will be staying in the Lakes for 5 weeks. I am looking for a bombproof/very waterproof (Having experienced Lake District weather!) tent, that will be comfy for me and a fair amount of gear to live in for the time (3-5 man ish?). Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated.
Cheers, Steve.
 martinph78 01 May 2013
In reply to stevedude888: If weight isn't an issue and you are staying in one spot then I can recommend the Outwell canvas tents. Or Khyam tents do well.

Do NOT bother with a Hi-gear tent from Go outdoors. They are rubbish (as you'd expect, although I though a weeks on a campsite in August would have been ok for any tent).
 Carolyn 01 May 2013
In reply to stevedude888:

Depends a bit on what you want...

Wild Country Monsoon might be worth a look - Good deal here:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/wild-country-monsoon-4-tent-783175

Not the biggest, but one of the more waterproof/robust/generally suited to British weather without being exceptionally massive. Sort of a scaled up backpacking tent.

That's fairly lightweight and portable. If weight/size isn't an issue, then there are of options - eg Vango, and the Wild Country tents with steel poles - and you'll get more living/storage space. Go Outdoors website might be as good a starting point as any, though I'd also search eBay for collection only bargains close to you.... our big one was around £50 and in perfect condition.
 Carolyn 01 May 2013

x-post with Martin..... when I suggested looking at Go Outdoors, I meant for Vango, etc, not for their own brand (which seem to be near permanently half price "bargains")!
 Carolyn 01 May 2013

And one more thought, before I go back to proper work - some bigger tents will be fairly tricky to pitch by yourself. I can do the Monsoon fine, but would struggle to do our Wild Country Homestead without another adult.
OP stevedude888 01 May 2013
In reply to stevedude888: Cheers for the advice! Wild country have some decent looking ones going pretty cheap so may be tempted by them.
 koolkat 01 May 2013
In reply to stevedude888: i have a monsoon you can hae for £99 few years old and groundsheet could do with retaping but flysheet is a new 1 i replaced the old 1
Tim, the Grey 01 May 2013
In reply to koolkat: Vango Equinox 350 used to be ENORMOUS, and I never had any issues with mine.
Sold it on after 5 years solid service...
 Highball_Mike 01 May 2013

I'd look out for a second hand Helsport Lavvu or similar. Spacious, Strong, very waterproof and with the bonus of beng able to have a stove/wood burner to help dry things off.

I love mine

Mike

almost sane 03 May 2013
In reply to stevedude888: if you are going to be in one place for 5 weeks, I recommend a bell tent. These allow you to air the tent and let the grass grow whilst you are still camping. They are also very strong, resisting wind and rain with no worries. You can even get them with fittings for wood burning stoves.

They should last well, too.

Have a look at http://www.belltent.co.uk/
 forcan 03 May 2013
You don't mention whether you're on a camp site, wild camping, staying in one spot or moving about a lot...

Camp site long term, use a big family tent (budget is from Halfords to the sky!) and take chair, table, lilo/camp bed etc.

Camp site short term, 3-4 man dome tent + some comforts

Wild camping, not carrying too far, 3 man tunnel, as light as you can afford.

Wild camping always moving about, Laser Comp!
 Sam_in_Leeds 03 May 2013
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/omega-350-tent-p183910?gclid=CNXAiL60-rYCFdHMtA...

Now I've got permission from Mrs Sam_In_Leeds I'm looking at splashing out on one of the above.

Seems pretty good value for £127. Seemed pretty big inside too when I went tent window shopping but packs down small enough.

Alloy poles too always better than fibreglass ones and it's got that TBS system so should be reasonably stable

I'm only tiny (5"7 ish) and I could sit in a chair in it.

10% off in GO OUTDOORS this weekend may be worth looking in to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...