UKC

New ferry link for the W of Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 02 May 2013
http://www.calmac.co.uk/Default.aspx.LocID-00inew00z.RefLocID-00i00r00a.Lan... Looks like a good idea for the economy of the area and would save a long drive.
 Andy Nisbet 02 May 2013
In reply to aln:

It sounded good, but then I looked at the map and if you're coming from the north, it's probably both cheaper and quicker to drive.
OP aln 02 May 2013
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> It sounded good, but then I looked at the map and if you're coming from the north, it's probably both cheaper and quicker to drive.

You're probably right about that but as I live in the Central belt it would be handy for me. And as the majority of the Scottish population also live here I think my comment in the OP still stands. It could also encourage folk from S of the border to visit a beautiful and often neglected part of the country.

Ramblin dave 02 May 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Andy Nisbet)
> [...]
>
> It could also encourage folk from S of the border to visit a beautiful and often neglected part of the country.

I was just thinking "wow, that could encourage me to visit a beautiful and often neglected part of the country"!

Would it also become the quickest route from south of the Central Belt to Islay and Jura, or would that still be quicker the current route?
OP aln 02 May 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to aln)
> [...]
>
>>
> Would it also become the quickest route from south of the Central Belt to Islay and Jura, or would that still be quicker the current route?

Don't know about that.
andymac 02 May 2013

Will be a welcome boost for the Kintyre economy ,for sure.

To my shame ,as a resident of Argyll ,I have never been down to that part of the kingdom.

Cuthbert 02 May 2013
Much quicker driving to Kennacraig via Loch Lomond which is about 2 to 2.5 hours. A nice way to go though and I am looking forward to using it.
Removed User 02 May 2013
In reply to aln:

I'm thinking it's the kind of link that would appeal to folk on holiday who want to do a bit of touring. Drive to Ardrossan, ferry to Kintyre and then up the peninsula and on to Oban etc before heading back down South.

I hope it's a success, Kintyre and Knapdale are both beautiful and a little overlooked.
 Cuthbert 02 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:

I wondered if the limited running of this route (3 days a week) might be so that the vessel could be used to go to Ireland the rest of the time?

However the Isle of Arran is getting quite old now and surely heavy on the fuel so it remains to be seen if it can provide service at a decent cost. I hope this service is well supported by the public.
 Andy Nisbet 02 May 2013
In reply to aln:
>
> You're probably right about that but as I live in the Central belt it would be handy for me. And as the majority of the Scottish population also live here I think my comment in the OP still stands. It could also encourage folk from S of the border to visit a beautiful and often neglected part of the country.

Sorry it wasn't supposed to be a negative comment. I've only been down there once to climb and I enjoyed it. I'll go again.
 Loughan 02 May 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: Yep, a ferry to Ballycastle would be immense for me getting to Scotland and opening up Fairhead to others
 Phil1919 03 May 2013
In reply to aln: Would fit in well for a cycling tour. Is there any grit on Kintyre?
 Philip 03 May 2013
Two years ago, coming from England, we went to Islay fro Ardrossan via Arran and the Campbeltown peninsular . This new route would cut out Arran. Depending on cost it may not save much, and you add a drive, although you cut out the one across Mull.

Is there much to see/do in Campbeltown ?
 Phil1919 03 May 2013
In reply to Philip: Save it for a slow bike tour.
Douglas Griffin 03 May 2013
In reply to Philip:

> Is there much to see/do in Campbeltown ?

There's the Springbank distillery, for starters...

tony 03 May 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

and hop over to the west coast for an epic beach at Machrihanish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...