UKC

Air freight to Nepal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon59 02 May 2013
I need to air freight about 2000kgs to Kathmandu Nepal for early August, can anybody recommend any companies.
 Martin Bennett 02 May 2013
In reply to jon59:

Not a recommendation as I haven't used any of 'em yet - just contacted 'em for advice and estimates, but here's a line copied from my email to my friend in Kathmandu who wants stuff sending soon:

" . . . I felt the bloke at “Anglo Pacific” seemed very professional but so did the “Allfreight Services” guy, and there was a cheaper quote from “Crown Freight” - a bloke called Colin who seemed also to inspire confidence even though maybe he’s a one man show(?) . . . . . "

So there are the names of 3 companies who were prepared to deal with a member of the public from a home address - the household name companies I tried tended to shy away unless it was business to business, or were extortionate.

If you google the names above you should get their web pages with contact details. I hope this helps - remember I've no experience of their actual performance, just that on the 'phone they're personable and informed people you can understand. Good luck.
OP jon59 02 May 2013
In reply to jon59: cheers I give them a try tomorrow
 Morts 15 May 2013
In reply to jon59: I have previously had great luck using the standard courier pompanies such as FedEx (more expensive but reliable) and TNT (took slightly longer to arrive than the Fedex) I had everything sent to an agent in KTM who I paid a small fee to arrange pickup etc. from Airport upon arrival (If I remember correctly I paid $50.00 cash for this service)

The biggest hassle may be (can be/ but not always) to get the stuff released from the Airport which could take quite a few hours

Although I have always received all my stuff and nothing has ever disappeared or been lost/damaged

Morts
OP jon59 16 May 2013
In reply to jon59: Thanks for all the info everyone, I have gone with DHL who seemed to provide the best service, I am however in-loading a lot of equipment into Nepal. My freight is 1000kg at 4m3 outward, and 600kg 3m2 return with a quote of £1980. Top tip it's cheaper to send your kit in boxes than expedition barrels due to wasted space, you can pick up barrels in Kathmandu for $40-50.
 Tom Briggs 16 May 2013
In reply to jon59:

As mentioned above you will need an agent in KTM to get it out of customs.
 Damo 16 May 2013
In reply to jon59:
> (In reply to jon59) Thanks for all the info everyone, I have gone with DHL who seemed to provide the best service, I am however in-loading a lot of equipment into Nepal. My freight is 1000kg at 4m3 outward, and 600kg 3m2 return with a quote of £1980. Top tip it's cheaper to send your kit in boxes than expedition barrels due to wasted space, you can pick up barrels in Kathmandu for $40-50.

That price seems reasonable by DHL standards, but as Tom has said, actually getting it out the other end is often the tricky bit.

Barrels in Thamel for around $20 each. Get the small ones as the big ones are usually too big for porters and too heavy when full (and awkward to lift). They're often used to import bulk juice, so you may need to wash them out before use and dry them properly - all of which takes time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...