UKC

Gower camp site

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 04 May 2013
Any reccomendations of a camp site attached to a pub or similar? Cheap and cheerful and not a holiday park. Cheers
 Mark Morris 04 May 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: Port Eynon is nice, close to Boiler Slab, fantastic views across the bay and walk along beach to a pub 10 mins at most.

Then there is Llangennith, beach hidden by the dunes, same sort of walk to pub in the village, good for Falls Bay. This can feel like you're in a festival due to the size of it though.

The camp site above Three Cliffs Bay gets lots of mentions as one of the best in UK for views, but the pub is either down the road (narrow and dangerous to walk imho) or down a path that can get really wet/muddy/slippery. I think it's a bit further than the others too, maybe 20 mins?

There are 2 others, one is a holiday park and the other escapes me,nice, quiet place, no pub though.

Mark

OP Cheese Monkey 04 May 2013
In reply to Mark Morris: Nice one thankyou very much plenty to go at there. Heading off Sunday night for a day cragging Monday providing we can get hold of a guidebook today.
 BenTiffin 04 May 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: They sell the new Gower selective guide in Dynamic Rock - just off junction 45 on the M4 if you have had no luck with the guide.
 Mark Morris 04 May 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: No problem, I'd lend you my guide if Aberdare wasn't well out of the way if you are travelling from the South West.

Be nice to see someone use it - I'm laid up with herniated back disc and ain't doing anything for a while.

Where you thinking of heading to? What grades etc?

Mark
OP Cheese Monkey 04 May 2013
In reply to Mark Morris: Many thanks for the offer though! Sorted now, got a selective one from Dicks Climbing -Gower Rock. Apparently the definitive is a little out of date. Coming over from Bristol so not too far, I say South West as I travel and stay all over Devon, Cornwall and Somerset with work. We will probably head to either Tor Bay or Three Cliffs Bay, up to VS I imagine, depends on what I can persuade my girlfriend to second! I'd love to crack on with a few E1s but probably not this day. Looks like plenty of VS-HVS routes for me to chose from and a plenty of VD and under for her.
 robthered 04 May 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Three Cliffs Bay and Nicolaston Farm (just down the road - cheaper and easier to get a spot) are good campsites but not great for pubs. The nearest one - the Gower Inn (I think) serves possibly the worst pint I've had. Can't remember another occasion where I've left an unfinished pint... and the path is a bit of mare. You can trek up over the common to the King Arthur which serves good food and beer. So good I couldn't actually tell you long the walk took...!

Enjoy anyways.
 Mark Morris 04 May 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: Tides will be essential then, if they allow get to Fall Bay at low tide do all the starred routes from the beach, then move to upper tear to do the starred routes there. Even if your guide says Seth is E1 it's a difficult one (so I'm told - by a good friend who climbs harder but fell off it).

Muppet Show around from Fall Bay is a superb E1 - easy side? i was climbing well, but very good!

For V Diff leads boiler slab and Three cliffs are great, with Boiler slab having no tidal problems.

Have a good time.
OP Cheese Monkey 05 May 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: Cheers guys. Tides are ok, low at 10am and guidebook says access approx 3/4hrs either side. Plenty of time! Especially in comparison to some places I have climed at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...