UKC

TV Series about mountain rescue on the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DMAX Italy has shown a 6 episodes series (dramatically called "Mountain Heroes" ) about the daily working of the Aiut Alpin Dolomites, the mountain rescue organization covering the Eastern Dolomites centered around the so called "Ladin" valleys (Val Gardena, Val Badia, Ampezzo etc, so covering the big places like Civetta, San Martino or LAvaredo).

The format was interesting because the rescue were not scripted, but real, as only limit agreed with the AAD was not to show anything involving fatalities, and the episodes included un rescue plus one mission of routine work on the Alps like mountain anti-avalanche obstacles or refurnishing huts. They do a bit of medical rescue too.

It's in Italian but rather easy to follow, and the images are stunning. And it shows how busy and tragicomic the mountain rescue activity is - in episode 5 they circle Civetta for two hours following the (wrong) indications of a tourist who first saw an emergency that weren't there, and then he saw it on the wrong place. In episode 6 there's the rescue of a young lad suffering from fear of heights whose uncle had the bright idea to take him climbing on the Cima 12 at Lavaredo.

http://www.dmax.it/video/programmi/mountain-heroes/stagioni/1/
 LaMentalist 05 May 2013
In reply to Luca Signorelli:

Grazie Luca , I will watch some of these this evening .
In reply to LaMentalist:
Let me know what you think
 Boogs 05 May 2013

I watched the episode with no rescues , it seemed like an introduction to the crew , Pilots & elikos , some great footage of the Dolomites . Will watch some more later as they are nice short episodes .
 Mike-W-99 05 May 2013
Thanks for that, enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Similar to our own highland emergency but without the continual stock footage of a sea king.
http://www.channel5.com/shows/highland-emergency/episodes
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
>
> Similar to our own highland emergency but without the continual stock footage of a sea king.
> http://www.channel5.com/shows/highland-emergency/episodes

Aaargh, too bad, it tells me I can't watch it from my current location / country. Pity, I was interested.
 auld al 06 May 2013
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
> [...]
>
> Aaargh, too bad, it tells me I can't watch it from my current location / country. Pity, I was interested.

they are available as torrents though
http://katproxy.com/usearch/highland%20emergency/
 auld al 06 May 2013
In reply to auld al:
> (In reply to Luca Signorelli)
> [...]
>
> they are available as torrents though
> http://katproxy.com/usearch/highland%20emergency/
well a couple of the more recent ones anyway

wilkesley 06 May 2013
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
> [...]
>
> Aaargh, too bad, it tells me I can't watch it from my current location / country. Pity, I was interested.

You need a proxy server in the UK. I can set you up on mine if you want. Email me at ian at wilkesley dot net if you are interested.

I am having problems viewing the Dolomite footage. The video player comes up OK, but doesn't shown anything and clicking on play doesn't do anything. Can someone from the UK confirm that they can watch it OK?
 steelbru 06 May 2013
In reply to wilkesley:
Working fine for me, i'm using IE9 on a Windows7 machine in case it's software dependant
 wilkesley 08 May 2013
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks. It looks as though it's using Silverlight, so probably only works with Windows. Doesn't work with either Firefox or Chrome on my Linux desktop, of Nexus 7 tablet.
 Lizard 08 May 2013

Really enjoyed the 6th episode (having visited all the locations)- so handy that you don't need to know italian to follow everything Working my way through the rest now.

Is that via ferrata rescue in ep 6 the north side of Torre Toblino? - looks fantastic from a helicopter!
Annoying Twit 10 May 2013
In reply to wilkesley:

It's playing via Adobe Flash on my mac in Firefox.
Annoying Twit 10 May 2013

To my inexperienced and unknowledgeable eyes, those walls of rock at about 7:30 into episode 5 look truly epic!
cariva 13 May 2013

Well, I liked it very much. I did surprise me in a very positive way! Well produced and well edited as well. Thanks for sharing
 Mike-W-99 13 May 2013
In reply to wilkesley:

> I am having problems viewing the Dolomite footage. The video player comes up OK, but doesn't shown anything and clicking on play doesn't do anything. Can someone from the UK confirm that they can watch it OK?
Only episode 3 onwards is working for me.
 mayhematic 13 May 2013
In reply to Luca Signorelli: I may watch that
In reply to Lizard:
>
> Really enjoyed the 6th episode (having visited all the locations)- so handy that you don't need to know italian to follow everything Working my way through the rest now.
>
> Is that via ferrata rescue in ep 6 the north side of Torre Toblino? - looks fantastic from a helicopter!

Yep. It's the Torre Toblin ferrata
In reply to cariva:
>
> Well, I liked it very much. I did surprise me in a very positive way! Well produced and well edited as well. Thanks for sharing

The great thing about the series is that they could have ended up being morbid, or feeding the viewer with all that "aaaaaarggghhh, muppets infesting the mountains and we're forced to risk our lives to save them". But it's all very relaxed and cool, and it's not creating any impression that climbing is a stupid or irresponsible activity.
 david100 13 May 2013
In reply to Luca Signorelli: I have got it working on IE. turn off smartscreen filter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...