UKC

Old bolts near Compass Point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jhsp 07 May 2013
I was wandering around the beach on the other side of Compass Point (i.e. the Bude harbour side) and found a big old fallen slab. I walked up it, and noticed a double line of old rusted bolts on the blanker right hand side of it. Seemed like a funny old route for someone to have put up. Anyone know more about it?
 Dave Garnett 07 May 2013
In reply to jhsp:

They are probably natural. Some species of barnacle extract excess iron from seawater as a by-product of their filter feeding and deposit it in their oddly shaped outer shell (really a modified carapace). When they die, the rest of the shell decays leaving the rusty iron deposits and a charactistic hole where the original opening was.

They occasionally appear in all sorts of odd coastal locations. It causes no end of misunderstandings.
andyathome 07 May 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:
Alternatively the poster might have spotted bolts rather than dead molluscs? As they said 'bolts'.

I eagerly await a whole series of posts suggesting that bolts appearing on routes are, in fact, completely natural and nothing to worry about...
 Dave Garnett 07 May 2013
In reply to andyathome:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
> Alternatively the poster might have spotted bolts rather than dead molluscs? As they said 'bolts'.
>

In Cornwall, surely not?

They do look like rusty bolts... It's an easy mistake to make.

And barnacles are crustacea, not molluscs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...