UKC

Peregrines nesting on Suspension Bridge Buttress, Avon Gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Colin Knowles 08 May 2013
I've just posted this message on ClimbBristol's Facebook page.

"Hi all

We have just had a report that peregrines are nesting on Suspension Bridge Buttress, on the West (Hell's Gates) face.
Once confirmed by our Access Rep this will mean that all climbing will have to cease on the routes between Suspension Bridge Arete and Rock On Ruby until the season is over.

Please spread the word."

You can follow further developments on //www.facebook.com/Climbbristol
 n-stacey 08 May 2013
In reply to Colin Knowles: Please note. this post does not apply to egg collectors or anyone interested in stealing and owning a Peregrine falcon.
Thank you!!!!!! Doh!!!
OP Colin Knowles 09 May 2013
Fantastic News

For the first time in living memory not one but TWO pairs of peregrines are nesting in the Avon Gorge.

It is an incredibly rare event for peregrines to nest so close together.

The established pair are nesting in their traditional site in the Pink Wall section of the Main Wall. Currently they have four young chicks. Posted seasonal climbing restrictions have been in place there for some time.

The new pair are nesting on Suspension Bridge Buttress at the top of the Limbo area. The nest has two eggs. Seasonal climbing restriction notices are being posted currently and will be in force until July 15th.

ClimbBristol works closely with Ed Drewitt who is the local BTO activist who undertakes the ringing of peregrine chicks (http://www.eddrewitt.co.uk/#!peregrines/c1vw1).

This is another opportunity to celebrate the Gorge's unique character as both a climbers' playground and a habitat for rare wildlife.

You can follow further developments on //www.facebook.com/Climbbristol
 hms 09 May 2013
In reply to Colin Knowles: I can't see route 'Rock on Ruby' on the UKC SBB crag listing - could you please relate it to one of the routes that is there. Realistically I guess SBB is pretty much out of bounds, as I don't think anyone does the stuff to the right. I also would assume the Chateau Fitzwarren is out of bounds as it goes only just to the left of suspension bridge arete?
 bpmclimb 09 May 2013
In reply to hms:

According to the BMC RAD the restriction applies to the whole of SBB. However, they do give an end date of 30 June.
OP Colin Knowles 29 May 2013
Sad news about our young pair of peregrines.

The female deserted the nest several days ago.

The male hasn't been able to keep the eggs warm and so they will not hatch.

Ed Drewitt gained permission from Natural England to recover the eggs for scientific research. They will go to https://wiki.ceh.ac.uk/display/pbms/Home who are experts on analysing eggs for shell thickness and pollutants.

Today the eggs were retrieved by our very own BMC Access Rep for the Avon Gorge - Simon Fletcher. See https://www.facebook.com/Climbbristol/posts/600125226665491.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...