UKC

BMC gets reorganised

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So Dave Turnbull is the new "chief officer", Andy McNae is "chief executive" of the spinning-off commercial bit, and Grimer is in charge of guidebook production.

Does this make any more sense to anyone now? Slightly longer version at the UKClimbing news page.

Charles
tony 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor:

doesn't "BMC gets reorganised" make a bit of an assumption?
John Kirk 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor: I couldn't believe how low the salaries offered were, especially considering the duties involved. The BMC is a vital organisation for Uk climbers. This is no reflection on those now in post, but would have limited the field somewhat.
Graeme Alderson 09 Nov 2001
In reply to John Kirk: Low salaries, long hours. Could it be that BMC are actually committed to their jobs and see it as more than just a 'job'
 tobyfk 09 Nov 2001
In reply to John Kirk:

don't fully understand this. what will commercial BMC concern itself with? which side of the fence is the guide book business? who owns the shares of the 'commercial' BMC ?
John Kirk 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Graeme Alderson: I suspect they are very committed to their jobs, and the BMC does excellent work. My point was simply that the jobs were underpaid against the job specifications, which I read in detail.
 alex 09 Nov 2001

I think the Guidebooks are still under the "BMC" bit. The commercial bit isn't being floated - so no share deals there! The commercial bit is just about making things more efficient - it will provide services for the BMC, MLTB, MCI, MCofS, and have more freedom to explore new options.

This means more and better quality publications, improving insurance cover, etc. The next issue of Summit has 2 pages on all this - due out on the 15th Nov.

tobyfk 09 Nov 2001
In reply to alex:

Alex all companies have shares whether they are publically-listed or private. What I meant was who owns new 'commercial' BMC. If it is wholly-owned by 'old' BMC then it would seem spurious to consider it a separate entity. If it is not wholly-owned then another set of questions arise .....
In reply to tobyfk: MCofS, MCofI, BMC plus the various Mountain Leader Training Boards will 'own' the new entity.
Dennis 09 Nov 2001
In reply to alex:

'...new options.' Read: Pristine areas in which to sink its fangs...

Dennis M.
 tobyfk 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

very 'Third Way'. What's the point?
 alex 09 Nov 2001
In reply to tobyfk:

And the BMC is also pleased to announce that Dennis has been appointed as publicity and PR officer.
Dennis 09 Nov 2001
In reply to alex:

What, with their £250,000 headquarters in West Didsbury - under threat. You must be jocking - surely?

Dennis M.
Dennis 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Dennis:

Sorry alex: '...you must be jocking...'? That was the Brandy and Lovage talking, I meant - joking, of course...

Dennis M.
In reply to Dennis: Get real Dennis, our building is worth far more than 1/4 million, didn't you know that property speculation is one of our 'other options'.
In reply to John Kirk: Definately underpaid.
In reply to tobyfk: Economies of scale is I believe the phrase
Rob D 09 Nov 2001
Some people are committed and want to drive things forward, but are supported by people out of their depth.
Dennis 09 Nov 2001

Sorry, I did not want to allude to; include your other multi-million pound property aquirement (under an EC Directive - supposedly) at this point in time... Speculation inproperty, as you say, being another of the BMC's option's.

But then, what the membership do not know, will not hurt them - will it?

Dennis M.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Dennis:
Did you day the offices cost £250 000? By a strange coincidence that very close to the amount of money that was sloshing about in the Guide Book Committee's funds - so that's why they were disbanded – obvious when you know!
Wheels within wheels

Chris

CENSORED 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor: What a cynical mud slinging little thread!!

In reply to John Kirk: If you think those posts are underpaid try teaching or nursing!!
John Kirk 09 Nov 2001
In reply to CENSORED: Neither is very attractive, and it's not just the lousy pay.
Chauvi 10 Nov 2001
In reply to Chris Craggs:
I don't think that the guidebook committee has been disbanded Chris, not unless you have some really up to date news. (A bit like your misleading news feature about Horseshoe Quarry last year or a tongue in cheek dig?)

I'm sure that we'd all like to congratulate Niall on his appointment as Guidebook Coordinator to support the work of the (remaining) guidebook volunteers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...