UKC

Advice on the Tirol and Dolomites in late May/ early June.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
doniceti 12 May 2013
I've got a bit of holiday for the last week of May and first of June, and have been considering heading to the Tirol or Dolomites with a party of six. Our hope was to do a multi day mountain walk, but we have been struggling to come up with routes that won't still be substantially snow covered around then. If anyone on here knows of a good route through that region likely to be passable at that time of year any advice would be much appreciated.

Our back up plan is to base a camp somewhere with a good selection of walks and climbing areas - we were considering the Zillertal. Any thoughts on a good place to choose would also be very helpful.

Thanks!
 Toerag 12 May 2013
In reply to doniceti: lechtaler hohenweg? get Kev Reynolds 'walking in the alps' book. If you look up one of the long distance E paths or the new Adlerweg in Austria you're more likey to find info on snow cover.
 FrJ 12 May 2013
In reply to doniceti:
I've used the Karwendeltal in late June before now (just N of Innsbruck). A number of the key passes are a bit lower than elsewhere in Tirol so more likely to be free of snow.
There is also a lower level walk, "via della pace", I think, which runs along the old front line in Trento that again runs at a lower level.
On a smilar basis, Arco should give excellent climbing and some via ferrata, and plenty of camping. Early season too so should be pleasantly warm but not too busy.
 Null 12 May 2013
In reply to FrJ:

I agree. This season is good either for ski touring on high ground, or pre Alpine walking and rock climbing. Arco is an ideal base for what you want.
 joe2708 16 May 2013
In reply to doniceti: Are there any good longish walking routes (5-6) days that anyone knows about starting from Arco?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...