UKC

Giro on Eurosport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a13x 12 May 2013
Hey,

Ive just taken out the online Eurosport thing to watch the Giro, anyone know how you watch repeats on there? Cant work it out.

Cheers, Alex
interdit 12 May 2013
In reply to a13x:

You can't.

You watch what is on the schedule, as per people watching on satellite / cable.

There is some video on demand on the player, but it's random old programs - eg. a two part summary of last year's Giro. None of this year's stuff is on there.
 bluebealach 12 May 2013
In reply to a13x: You usually get a shortened version of the previous day racing immediately before the afternoons live action.

I see that today's action 12/5 (or shortened version thereof) is being shown at 7.30am tomorrow morning - 13/5
OP a13x 13 May 2013
In reply to a13x:

Ah I see. Cheers.
 niallk 13 May 2013
In reply to a13x:

The highlights seem to be at funy times this year.

You can however use the rewind function (just next to the play/pause button). I don't know how far back it goes, but turning on at 6:30 I can get at least the last hour of that day's stage (maybe more, not tried).
 Alun 13 May 2013
In reply to a13x:
I subscribed to the Eurosport online player for a month last year to watch the Giro, expecting a BBC iPlayer level of quality. Unfortunately the Eurosport player falls way short of that mark and, hearing that it has not improved much since then, I didn't bother subscribing again this year.

woolsack 13 May 2013
In reply to a13x: I subscribed last July to what I thought was only going to be one quarter of Cycling.tv and these buggers have been billing me ever since under an unrelated name that I thought was Skype
Add to that that there seems to be no actual content that is paid for that seems any different to that that they offer for free. I'll be taking it up with my card issuer as their (Cycling.tv) T&Cs doesn't mention recurring billing anywhere
 Fredt 13 May 2013
In reply to a13x:

My only problem with the Eurosport player is that the commentators seem to have absolutely no idea what is going on.
They make random guesses at identifying riders,

For example, yesterday, I was avidly watching the times that the Wiggins group were behind the peloton, and commentators seemed to be about 10 minutes behind in reporting the shown gaps. And they never even mentioned that he had rejoined the peloton, and were still not sure after the finish!
Kipper 13 May 2013
In reply to Fredt:
>
> ... and commentators seemed to be about 10 minutes behind in reporting...

Eurosport commentators have always seemed a bit behind, as if they're just watching the action on a small screen in a studio somewhere (in all sports) although they've got slightly better in recent years.
 Jim Hamilton 13 May 2013
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to a13x)
> I subscribed to the Eurosport online player for a month last year to watch the Giro, expecting a BBC iPlayer level of quality. Unfortunately the Eurosport player falls way short of that mark and, hearing that it has not improved much since then, I didn't bother subscribing again this year.

I assume it must be a lot better than the Eurosport links you get from Steephill tv ?
Talius Brute 13 May 2013
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

I think David Harmon is just about the best cycling commentator there is. Shame he's not reporting on the giro this year, but he really is excellent. He and Sean Kelly make a great pairing.

Overall I'd take Eurosport commentary for road cycling over anything the BBC has ever done, or Liggett and Sherwen (although I do still like them from time to time).
 Bergvagabunden 13 May 2013
In reply to Talius Brute: I'd agree with that - I watch the winter sports on the same channel , I've always found them very knowledgable
> I assume it must be a lot better than the Eurosport links you get from Steephill tv ?

I was wondering that. I seem to be able to watch all the Giro coverage I want via the free links on http://www.steephill.tv . What does the online subscription thing offer you extra?

Alan
 Alun 13 May 2013
As far as i have seen, steephill.tv offers only highlights snippets. (I'm more than happy to be corrected).

In that sense it is already better than online eurosport, as on demand highlights are sorely lacking from the europort offering.

What you do get with eurosport is full live coverage. What i did last year was tune in for the last 20 mins of each stage. I really missed an on demand highlights show though.
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Jim Hamilton)
> As far as i have seen, steephill.tv offers only highlights snippets. (I'm more than happy to be corrected).

Steephill.tv don't offer any coverage but they do have a useful links page

I have watched the Giro live every day so far via one of the many links on this page - http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/#live

Choose your language, click on the full screen icon to get rid of the overlay ads.

Alan
 Jim Hamilton 14 May 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> (In reply to Jim Hamilton)
> [...]
>
> I was wondering that. I seem to be able to watch all the Giro coverage I want via the free links on http://www.steephill.tv . What does the online subscription thing offer you extra?
>
I assume that as the Eurosport link comes via other websites (Stopstream etc) the picture quality is terrible - the direct RAI link is much better. You may think it worth paying the extra if you get picture quality equivalent to RAI and English commentary.
 Lhod 14 May 2013

I've been watching some of the live footage on the links via steephill and the quality has been fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...