UKC

Alternative day out in Glasgow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 12 May 2013
I'll be in Glasgow for an appointment next Monday morning. I haven't been for ages and I'd like to spend the rest of the day there but I want to get out of the city centre. Usually I end up in the W end but I feel like a change. Where can I go by tube that has decent pubs cafes restaurants park museum art gallery local history etc. Thanks in advance.
Graeme G 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:

Merchant Square, by far my most favourite place.
OP aln 12 May 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> Merchant Square,

Thanks but I think I can get there without a tube from the City Centre

Removed User 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:

Burrel collection?
Graeme G 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:

Most of Glasgow is bloody awful for pubs etc. the best bits are City Centre or West End.

You could try Govan or Ibrox for the 'local culture'.
OP aln 12 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Useraln)
>
> Burrel collection?

I've meant to visit since it opened and never made it yet! What about food and drink places around there?
OP aln 12 May 2013
> (In reply to aln)
>
> You could try Govan or Ibrox for the 'local culture'.

Spent a fair bit of time round there in the 80's. In one pub in Govan the barmaid let us know it was chucking out time by shouting "Fur fuksake have you c#nts no git homes tae go tae?"

Removed User 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
> [...]
>
> I've meant to visit since it opened and never made it yet! What about food and drink places around there?

Don't know, there's a cafe in the place but no idea what's outside the place.
andymac 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:

What a fragrant ,demure sounding lady.

Thinking about you original criteria ,and kind of struggling to come up with ideas.

Outwith the W end and some of the swanky Merchant City/Ingram St joints
not overly familiar.

Have you been to the Corinthian?

I can certainly think of a few places perhaps not to go to.

What about a wee trip oot to Newton Mearns.see what its all about.

Ha

Graeme G 12 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Useraln)
> [...]
>
> Don't know, there's a cafe in the place but no idea what's outside the place.

A fooking big park!

Graeme G 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:

What about St Georges Cross. The Tenement House is worth a visit.
OP aln 12 May 2013
> (In reply to aln)
>
> What about St Georges Cross.

That's still W end.
 MJ 12 May 2013
In reply to aln:

This is pretty alternative: -

http://tinyurl.com/bqn4b9b
OP aln 12 May 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> This is pretty alternative: -
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bqn4b9b

Not very alternative or very pretty.

Graeme G 13 May 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Father Noel Furlong)
> [...]
>
> That's still W end.

Highly debatable. St Georges Cross sits very much on the boundary.

It sounds as though you know Glasgow pretty well. Given how small the underground is you won't have much ability to get anywhere new. Extend your boundary and you'll give yourself a lot more choice.
Graeme G 13 May 2013
Just realised The Tenement House is in Charing Cross....d'oh!
 craig1983 13 May 2013
In reply to aln:

'The tube' only goes from the city centre - west end - govan area, so you're onto plums if you don't want anything in those areas.
 elsewhere 13 May 2013
In reply to aln:
The new transport museum on the riverside. Underground to Partick so still W End though.

Peoples Palace museum, Glasgow Green and West Brewery/Bar/Restaurant - a walk (E) from city centre

Necropolis, St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art & Glasgow cathedral on E of city centre.

Milesy 13 May 2013
In reply to aln:
> I'll be in Glasgow for an appointment next Monday morning. I haven't been for ages and I'd like to spend the rest of the day there but I want to get out of the city centre. Usually I end up in the W end but I feel like a change. Where can I go by tube that has decent pubs cafes restaurants park museum art gallery local history etc. Thanks in advance.

There isn't masses to do. Once you leave the city centre you start moving into residential areas and schemes and the tube doesn't go near the east of the city although there isnt anything much out there to spend a day unless you want to go shopping at parkhead forge.. West end is the only area you could spend a day doing the stuff you mentioned I am afraid unless you want to head out towards edinburgh I am afraid.
 lynda 13 May 2013
In reply to aln: The Glasgow Southside festival is on at the moment:

http://southsidefestival.org.uk/
 tony 13 May 2013
In reply to Milesy:

How long does it take to get to New Lanark? I presume there's a bus service from the city centre. I've been there a couple of times at the end of the Clydestride race, and I've always thought we should go back and have a proper look.
 Milesy 13 May 2013
About an hour. Always thought it was a bit crap to be honest though but maybe because we got dragged there by the school when younger.

Could go visit Auchentoshan or Glengoyne distillery.
 mike123 13 May 2013
In reply to aln: mother India cafe before or after the big museum opposite . I d half consider a day out in flashed ( what my i phone thought I wanted for glasgee ) just to eat there.
 Milesy 13 May 2013
In reply to mike123:

Both in the west end which I assume he knows about already if he always ends up there.
OP aln 13 May 2013
In reply to aln: Thanks for the replies. I only specified accessible by tube to make the travelling easier. If I was willing to use bus or train would I have other options, what's the S side like? What about Cathcart? I could then have a look at Court Knowe which I haven't been to for over 20 years.
Graeme G 13 May 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to aln)

What about Cathcart? I could then have a look at Court Knowe which I haven't been to for over 20 years.

I think the answer lies in how long it has taken you to go back?
 Fraser 13 May 2013

Agreed! (and I live 5 minutes from it) In the UKC grading system, this one would be a couple of notches below 'Bag of...'
 Fraser 13 May 2013
In reply to aln:

To be honest, there's not that much on the south side except the Burrell, for a (daytime) cultural visit. Nice bars and restaurants in Shawlands though, but it's a pretty compact area to spend a whole day there.

I do rate the Merchant City as a very 'wander-able' place with a decent choice of places to visit and things to see & do.
 Milesy 13 May 2013
If you listen to the property developers Merchant City now runs into Calton. "Merchant City Tongs ya Bas"
 gscw 13 May 2013
In reply to Fraser: You can take lots of buses from Union Street which will take you to Shawlands (good pubs and restaurants) and then you can easily walk to the Burrell Collection which is situated in Pollok Country Park which is lovely and also has Pollok House.
Graeme G 13 May 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to Father Noel Furlong)
>
> Agreed! (and I live 5 minutes from it) In the UKC grading system, this one would be a couple of notches below 'Bag of...'

Like.
Jim C 14 May 2013
In reply to aln: A day in the Glasgow Room at the Mitchell Library.
Failing that, just take a tour around Glasgow through the years on Virtual Mitchell
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/?a=showall&s=gallery

Did anyone mention the House for an Art Lover, worth a visit, you could also do the tour of Glasgow School of Art, and Hill House at Helensburgh is a shortish train ride(if you like Macintosh?)
 jfmchivall 14 May 2013
In reply to aln:

Subway to Ibrox, walk up the road, climb over or squeeze through the fence and explore the old dock then walk around past the science centre and the BBC, over the bridge and up the other side of the river to the new riverside museum (has the old transport museum collection), which is superb.
Jim C 14 May 2013
In reply to jfmchivall:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> Subway to Ibrox, walk up the road, climb over or squeeze through the fence and explore the old dock then walk around past the science centre and the BBC, over the bridge and up the other side of the river to the new riverside museum (has the old transport museum collection), which is superb.

Then Walk out of the Riverside Museum onto the Tall Ship and if it is a good day, they run the launch off the tall ship up the Clyde.
Good day out.
(Take Binos to the RM as they have put a lot of stuff on the walls)
 Fraser 14 May 2013
In reply to aln:

Doh, should have suggested this first off: TCA Glasgow. Sorted!
almost sane 14 May 2013
In reply to aln:
Alternatives to visit:
The Necropolis.
Tollcross park (interesting Victorian architecture in the form of a neo-baronial mansion and remains of a huge greenhouse).
Walk up the Clyde.
Botanic gardens.
Kelvinside museum and art gallery.
Glasgow Museum's resource centre often has events.
Cathedral and museum of religion.
The Burrell

(those that have been said before are well worth repeating)
 ceri's 14 May 2013
In reply to Jim C: House for an Art lover is at Bellahouston Park (as is the dry ski slope), which is across the M77 from Pollok Park where there's a riding school plus Pollok House and the Burrel Collection. Pollokshaws West railway station is on the edge of Pollok Park, or get the tube to Ibrox (I think) and walk past the Glasgow Climbing Centre to cross the M8 via a footbridge and be closer to Bellahouston Park. The 1901 pub near Pollokshaws West at Haggs Rd/Pollokshaws Rd has an attached tapas place but don't expect anything fancy there, I've not been for a while but I expect it'd be pretty quiet during the day. This lot will involve a fair bit of walking though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...