UKC

New In UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Domen 14 May 2013
Hello,

I just move to UK from continent and want to do some Rock climbing in Peak District. I just don't know how is with safety are the climbs prepared so that i just need qiuckdraws or i will need Nust, hex.... And on the top of the climb is there already Carabiner in or is something different.

THX for all the infos.

Domen
 Darron 14 May 2013
In reply to Domen:

For the vast majority of crags in the UK there is no fixed equipment and you will need 'trad' equipment.

Darron 14 May 2013
In reply to Darron:

By the way. This site has a database of most/all climbs in the UK. You could access this for crags in the Peak and see if they have a sport grade or trad grade to indicate the style for that crag. but as I say - most are trad. Give it a go - you'll enjoy it
 Ramblin dave 14 May 2013
In reply to Domen:
There's a bit of bolted climbing in the Peak, but the trad is much better!

Where are you based? You might find that joining a local club is a good way of getting into trad: you can borrow gear off the people you climb with for a bit, and they tend to be happy to to teach keen trad novices the basics.
Domen 14 May 2013
In reply to Domen: Hi,

First thx for all your quick replay's!! I am based in Milton Keynes and will stay here about 2 years. I am already climbing indoor but nothing can compare
to climbing in the nature.
I am not used to climb this style where i am coming from it is all drilled.

But i will buy equipment and give it a try....i just need to climb

Domen
 climber34neil 14 May 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: to be fair "a bit of bolted climbing" is a rather misleading statement, there is a wealth of sport climbing with a rich history in the Peak District which has been at the forefront of standards for any years , just look at routes like the prow, revelations , Mecca, Hubble, mutation at raven tor, zeke, caviar, dangerous brothers at rubicon to name but a few. In addition to fantastic venues of millers dale, cheedale and water cum jolly which have enough sport routes to keep anyone occupied for a lifetime and also with a quality that as good as anywhere in the uk in terms of the climbing, there are extensive venues spread all across the peak, both natural crags and quarries. The latest peak limestone guide is packed full of quality sport routes, so you could conceivably just have a rack of clips and have a great time if sport climbing is your thing, but combine it with grit routes and bouldering and you will soon be moving north from Milton Keynes and dtaying for much longer than 2 years.
 Jon Stewart 14 May 2013
In reply to climber34neil:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave) to be fair "a bit of bolted climbing" is a rather misleading statement, there is a wealth of sport climbing with a rich history in the Peak District which has been at the forefront of standards for any years , just look at routes like the prow, revelations , Mecca, Hubble, mutation at raven tor, zeke, caviar, dangerous brothers at rubicon to name but a few. In addition to fantastic venues of millers dale, cheedale and water cum jolly which have enough sport routes to keep anyone occupied for a lifetime and also with a quality that as good as anywhere in the uk in terms of the climbing, there are extensive venues spread all across the peak, both natural crags and quarries. The latest peak limestone guide is packed full of quality sport routes, so you could conceivably just have a rack of clips and have a great time if sport climbing is your thing, but combine it with grit routes and bouldering and you will soon be moving north from Milton Keynes and dtaying for much longer than 2 years.

Very grade dependent though, isn't it? Below 7 everything without exception is worthless, the low 7s I've done in Cheedale were all mediocre at best, but on the other hand people do seem to get excited by the hard routes.
 Ramblin dave 14 May 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Yeah, I'd imagine that someone who'd consider having a crack at Mutation or Hubble probably wouldn't need to ask on UKC whether there's any bolted stuff in the Peak...
 stewart murray 14 May 2013
In reply to Domen: You could join a local climbing club. Most have evening meets at a wall during the week and go away for weekend meets to Wales, Peak, Lakes etc. By joining a club you get to partner someone experienced in climbing placing protection - nuts, friends and get introduced to climbing areas around the country.

Here's a link to a Milton Keynes Club http://www.mkmountaineering.org/club-events/ , though i don't have personal knowledge of them.
 climber34neil 14 May 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: I would agree that most of the quality routes are in the 7s and up however there are plenty of routes that are well worth doing across a wide spectrum of grades. Coral seas at harper hill is a great route for 6a, megalithic man also springs to mind, long wall has a good selection of quality routes from 7a , and horseshoe car park is always busy . The quality lower grade routes are there, they just take a bit of finding. Something for everyone I think

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...