UKC

I'm looking for a PAYG internet via dongle - help me!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 15 May 2013
Once again I ask the UKC collective for their knowledge and experiences. Yes I've googled but can't seem to even find how much a top up costs! I do not want a contact, I have blistering BB via virgin that I'm happy with but I need to be able to use the internet <website building, testing etc> over the next couple of months and most of this work will be away from home and no internet. I'll not be using loads of data, I bet a gig will last me a fortnight or so. I can get a dongle from the bay-of-E easy enough but how does pay per use top ups work and cost across the different networks etc.
What do you have? How do you find it? Examples of data use?
Thanks in advance, you just can't beat UKC for first hand experience! :-D
 rustaldo 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: i used to have one from 3 that was payg and pretty good.. think you can just walk in and get one for like 20quid with tenner credit..
Bellie 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: I have a T-moble dongle, which I can use £2 per day, or £15 for a month... limit of about 3gb but if you go over you can still browse - just can't download between 4pm and midnight.

Now though I have a PAYG 3 phone, with all you can eat data, so just use my phone as an internet hotspot and tether it to my computer via wifi.
KevinD 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Until i switched to unlimited data on my phone I used a three dongle from time to time.
You can buy a Three Sim card with 3 gig of data on it which lasts for three months from Amazon for about 11 quid.

I found it was more cost effective to just buy new Sim cards rather than top up the existing one.
 rallymania 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

used to use a three dongle

it looks like about £20/30 to buy with a free 1gb top up

http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Plans/Pay_As_You_Go

if you are going to use regularly then it looks like the 3gb for £20 that last 3 months is best VFM from them

or you can get one of those mifi things for a little bit more money
 StuDoig 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
I just bought one on 3 from nearest supermarket to the site I was working on. Cost £40 with 3Gb of credit. Most of the providers will have cost per minute on their websites. Credit was put on via internet portal or by voucher.

GiffGaff have a list of prices for mobile data on their site and gives examples of what 500Mb, 1Gb etc mean in real terms - Usage info should be roughly the same for everyone.

I was sending quite a few large docs, on the e-mails for 4 days and one of the managers stole it to use to make an internet call and not used up all the credit yet.

Cheers,

Stuart
 Dan Arkle 15 May 2013
If you have a smartphone you should be able to use that instead on your current (or an upgraded) data plan.
OP wilkie14c 15 May 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
Yea I have a HTC but the tethering is pants, its really slow and makes it unusable when hooked up to my laptop. I had a HTC before this one and that was the same. It isn't even a windows thing either as its just the same on linux
OP wilkie14c 15 May 2013
In reply to rallymania:
i'm liking the look of that plan, 20 quids for 3 months and 3 gig. I guess i have to buy a dongle extra though
 Only a hill 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Hi Paul, going by the dongles we sell at our store I'd recommend the Three network. As someone mentioned above you can get a PAYG dongle for £29.99 which includes a 1GB starter pack, and after that runs out topups are £10 for 1GB or £15 for 3GB.

If you're willing to sign up to a monthly rolling contract you can actually get 1GB a month for £7.50 or 10GB a month for £15, which is just about the cheapest anyone does it I think...
OP wilkie14c 15 May 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Thanks for this, I'm thinking the dongle plus starter pack and see how much I actually use. It could well be that I'll be done with it after 2 months with say one additional £15 top up so for those 2 months I'd have 4 gig <1 gig plus an addtional top up of 3 gig> for a total of £45 ish <I guess the dongle could be reused in the future if required>
I really can't see me using 10 gig in a month, not even half!
Any comisson in it for you if I go through TCW?
OP wilkie14c 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
The 3 starter pack + 1 gig is 25.79 with free P&P on ebay
In reply to blanchie14c:

Similar but different situation.

We'll be in the UK for 6 weeks this year, we will need 2 x phone sims and 1 dongle for an ipad.

The phones will be used for local and international calls, the dongle will not be for downloading chunks of info, mainly for surfing and keeping a small forum running.

Any advice?
OP wilkie14c 15 May 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
That 3 starter kit seemed the best deal for me, cant help about phone sims only to say my daughter has a giff-gaff sim only and gets shed load on mins and unlimited texts for 15 a month PAYG
 Rachel Slater 15 May 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
I have a 3 dongle on a £15 monthly rolling contract which gives me 15gb a month. No worries of it ever running out and so cheap too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...