UKC

Press Up Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elrond 15 May 2013
Anyone tried the Sally-Up press up challenge??
ice.solo 15 May 2013
In reply to Elrond:

not as yet, still trying to get my head around this one: 5 x hand clap pushups every 30secs for 10mins.
OP Elrond 15 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

That sounds like a brutal challenge!! Does it not also do your wrists in though?
ice.solo 15 May 2013
In reply to Elrond:

hasnt done mine - tho ive only made it to 7...
a good warm up is vital.
 nw 15 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I always thought less was more in terms of power production excercises, i.e don't chase reps but go for explosiveness. So not 100 reps (if I understand correctly). Of course sometimes these challenges are just good to do for shits and giggles.
ice.solo 15 May 2013
In reply to nw:

im not sure. i think for real world applications (depending on what ones 'real world' is of course), power production needs to be progressively stretched out towards endurance. especially for something like a plyometric as it pretty rapidly hits a threshold - the next step is to make that threshold last longer (for endurance based stuff at least).

but yeah, its gotta be based off solid actual power production first.

i think what the 5/10 clap-push sort of thing does is train recovery as much as power, in the context of power.

and agree - shits n giggles is needed to keep things interesting.
 nw 15 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Ya that threshold is the problem with body weight excercises isn't it. There are some good progressions though. Someday I fancy having a serious crack at one arm push ups.
 Keendan 15 May 2013
In reply to nw:
> (In reply to ice.solo) Ya that threshold is the problem with body weight excercises isn't it. There are some good progressions though. Someday I fancy having a serious crack at one arm push ups.

Definitely a good progression, if a little straining on the shoulder/back.

In fact that's a good reminder, I think I'll train them again for a bit

It feels much better to be doing sets of 6-12 one armers than doing countless normal ones.
 henwardian 16 May 2013
In reply to Elrond: Yup. Never made it more than about 20 seconds in though

I think you should be able to get progression with pressups just by putting some weights on your back, no?

Also, if you can do one hand push ups, try 1 hand and 1 leg pushups:
youtube.com/watch?v=b3oJSFYNRv0&
 joeldering 16 May 2013
In reply to Elrond:

Managed 1:50! Loved it though, will try again tomorrow!
ice.solo 16 May 2013
In reply to nw:

The equation for breaking thresholds applies same for BW as for loaded weight: increase resistance, speed, duration, complexity and stress.

Lots if ways to upscale pushups without adding load; use rings/med balls, raise the feet, destabilize the feet and hands, race the clock, pre-stress, increase range of motion etc.
andic 16 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

let your kids sit on your back, they get heavier as you get stronger, if you want to mix it up jut have more.
 The Lemming 16 May 2013
In reply to nw:
> Someday I fancy having a serious crack at one arm push ups.

I was able to do those when I was a teenager during karate sessions.

Maybe if I did not do these then I would not have shoulder impingement today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...