UKC

Good quality camera that is small enough for rock climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My current camera is a Nikon P7000. It takes really nice photos but is just too big for rock climbing. Meaning it gets left behind more often than not.

I've got a big trip to the States and Patagonia planned for later in the year and want small camera, which takes high quality images, that I can keep down my top most of the time.

Criteria:
Shoots Raw
Large Sensor and good lens
Wide angle lens
Small and light
Good battery life.

I can't afford an Sony RX100.

The obvious choice appears to be a Canon s110.

The other option is a Pansonic LX7. I had an LX3 in the past, but it got nicked. My slight reservations are, in a case, it is a bit too big to stuff down my top and I don't really like the lens cover. Saying that if I used it with a traditional case like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Genuine-Leather-Case-Lumix/dp/B003X844UI/... It might solve both those problems. Plus they take brilliant pictures.

What else should I consider?

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I get on well with my Canon G12 - sacrifices small and light for picture quality and easy operation with gloves on. Lives in a case on the back of my harness in all weathers. =o)
 d_b 17 May 2013
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I got my wife a fujifilm f800exr for her birthday. It's a lovely little camera but maybe a bit bigger than you want.
 George Fisher 17 May 2013

I've been 'round the houses' with cameras for climbing

Film compact > DSLR > LX3 (sold to you) > film SLR > Film compact again > iPhone ... Current camera.

Through all this the one I've used the most is a Canon 220HS. Mainly because its tiny, lives on a string round my neck either down a tshirt of jacket. The LX3 was just too big.

It doesn't shoot RAW but wins on size, I actually take it with me and use it mid pitch. For me it just has to be small even if its not amazing quality. It does have a 24mm wide lens which is quite nice too. They must do an equivalent version now.

G

I've a Canon G11 (current model is the G15) which fits most of your criteria except for small and light. For me the main thing was that the controls are usable when wearing gloves, it's more like an old style film compact.

I've biked with it down my shirt front but it's a bit bulky to do so when climbing. Produces excellent shots though and the only time I get out the SLR is if I need to capture fast action or get multiple shots quickly say when taking shots of a race. The images from the G11 are good enough for magazine work: I offered to send the RAW files but the high quality JPEGs were all that were needed.

ALC

In reply to George Fisher:

I didn't buy my LX3 from you...

To the people suggesting Canon G Series they are the same size as my current Nikon and thus too big!
 Adam Long 17 May 2013

Canon S100 is probably your best best. A good bit smaller than an LX, shoots RAW, cheaper than the Sony. 28-105 equiv lens. I use an LX-5 as I don't mind the slight bulk and would rather have the 24mm wideangle and bigger controls. Agree the G-series are too big.

Uh... Sorry about that. Who bought my LX3 then? Nevermind.

Adam did buy my D300 though, I'm like a UKC camera dealer or something.

I decided against the S100 as 28mm isn't very wide and I can't be bothered stitching stuff. It is the right kinda size though.
 GridNorth 17 May 2013
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I have a Canon A1300 because it has a viewfinder which means that when I'm shooting in bright sunlight it's not total guesswork.
In reply to Adam Long:

Cheers Adam. What sort of case do you use with LX5? I suppose the proper lens cover means that I could use it a lot of the time without a case.

What are people's thoughts about buying second hand cameras on Ebay?

Am I right in thinking that a waterproof camera like this isn't going to produce anywhere near as high quality images as an LX7/S110? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FT25EB-A-Compact-Camera/dp/B00B...
 Robert Durran 17 May 2013
> Am I right in thinking that a waterproof camera like this isn't going to produce anywhere near as high quality images as an LX7/S110? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FT25EB-A-Compact-Camera/dp/B00B...

I had one of those (or a similar version) which I lost and now have the Sony weatherproof compact. They both took/take pictures which I am more than happy with (see my gallery) and it is great that they are pretty indestructible and waterproof (I don't bother with a case). The Sony is signifiantly lighter and has a sliding door over the lens which helps stop it misting up.

interdit 17 May 2013
In reply to George Fisher:
> (In reply to TRip)
>

> I decided against the S100 as 28mm isn't very wide and I can't be bothered stitching stuff. It is the right kinda size though.

Powershot S100 is a 5x (24mm - 120mm equivalent).

(The S95 was 28 - 105mm)

Adam Long 17 May 2013

I've just got some generic Kata case that it happens to fit in. In winter I usually have it round my neck and tucked into my jacket. I quite like the way it has a proper strap that means it sits like a 'proper' camera when doing that.

I doubt that linked camera will be bad - they don't seem to make bad cameras nowadays - but you will presumably lose RAW output.

Buying second-hand is great as a rule, I've only ever bought one new camera. I had a couple of bad experiences with ebay with items being not as good as described and tend to stick to camera shops now. The good ones are competitive with ebay and you get a chance to check it out and return.
In reply to interdit:

Quite right. It was the s90 I was thinking of. The s100 wasn't out back then.

In that case an s100 would do everything Tom needs.
 Mike-W-99 17 May 2013
If you are quick the canon ebay outlet store has some reburbished s100 with 1 year warranty.
nikkormat 17 May 2013

I have a Panasonic LX5, and recommend it (or the LX7). I have replaced the lens cap with an auto-type (google JJC ALC-5B), and it fits in a Lowepro AW30 case, if you cut out the internal divider.
How long does the battery on the s100 last? That's quite an important consideration.
 jasonpm 18 May 2013
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I've got an s100, battery lasts about 2-300 shots even with GPS feature on. Great camera by the way.
In reply to jasonpm: cheers. Do 'fake' spare batteries work in it? Or do I need to buy expensive genuine canon ones?
 Mike-W-99 18 May 2013
Decent quality clones seem fine in an s95.
 The Lemming 18 May 2013
> (In reply to jasonpm) cheers. Do 'fake' spare batteries work in it? Or do I need to buy expensive genuine canon ones?

I've got the version two model's down, the S90, and I use generic batteries for all my cameras. I have used 7DayShop for the last 10 years and never had a dud battery. All the generic/fake batteries last as long as the original branded batteries.

http://www.7dayshop.com/

I've also bought a few from Amazon as well. In fact I have NEVER bought a branded camera battery as they are just too expensive for what they are, a battery with a logo.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=15783&setcurrency=...

This seems like a very good price. Has anyone purchased from them before?

Cheers,

TR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...