UKC

Lyngen touring; a trip report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 21 May 2013
I've finally written a blog post from my Lyngen trip a couple of weeks ago. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/05/lyngen-in-may-ski-mountaineeri... It's some reflections of the area and trip, I'll do a part II in the next couple of days which actually says which peaks we did and how in order to give some more specific advice for anyone planning a trip there. Members of the Eagle Ski club will also see a report in their magazine soon because two of those I was with, Dave and Roger, are ESC members. Enjoy!
 Doug 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:
"I think it might be time to bite the bullet and accept I just don't have the money and/or the access to good lift skiing to get better at telemarking and try AT kit as an alternative."

Heresy !

Sounds like a good trip to somewhere I've been wanting to visit for years(but try some wider tele skis
 d_b 21 May 2013
In reply to Doug:

Another heretic here. I recently came to the same conclusion & have decided to flog my telemark boots.
OP TobyA 21 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: So as it seems you haven't been burnt alive or suffered a similar grisly fate at the hands of the telenofundamentalists, who are you finding it? And what gear did you get? I'm horrified at the price of kit, but tele gear isn't any better - particularly if you want to go down the NTN road.
 d_b 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I haven't got anything yet, just got disillusioned enough to get rid of my tele stuff on the grounds that I will never be a good enough skier to do what I want with it.

I plan to hire kit for a year or two until I have decided it is worth buying again & exactly what to go for.
 Scomuir 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Nice photos - it's a great part of the world. Small thing though - Blåtinden isn't on Lyngen, as I am sure you know. It had one of the coolest summit "cairns" i've ever seen.
 d_b 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA: Out of interest, where were you staying?
 AdrianC 21 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Fix the Heel. Fix the problem.
OP TobyA 21 May 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> Small thing though - Blåtinden isn't on Lyngen, as I am sure you know.

No, it's Balsfjord but it was only about a 15 minute drive from our house in Lakselvdalen. Amusingly, most of the peaks we did (including our route up Jiekkhevarri aren't in Lyngen district, although you hit the district line on the summit. Looking the map, actually even our house was in Balsfjord district although it all feels like Lyngen.
 AG 21 May 2013
In reply to AdrianC: personally i like the freedom to choose between paralell and tele turns....but thats for different discussion !...Lyngen is one place i'd love to go .....for some serious tele skiing
OP TobyA 21 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: A farm called Mobakken in Lakselvdalen. My friend booked it all, so I don't have details but can find out if you want to know.
 Mark Bull 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Another tele to AT convert here (which just means I'm slightly less rubbish these days!). Good effort on doing Jiehkkevárri: that's big day!

We had a great week skiing some of the lower and easier stuff around Tromsø in April: some photos here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/14623510@N03/sets/72157633439788474/

HeMa 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to davidbeynon) So as it seems you haven't been burnt alive or suffered a similar grisly fate at the hands of the telenofundamentalists

It's because we're still sharpenin' the pitchforks, gettin' some extra tar and feathers... and proper nasty, highly cuttin' rope to tie you up...

HeMa 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Scomuir)
> [...]
>
> No, it's Balsfjord but it was only about a 15 minute drive from our house in Lakselvdalen. Amusingly, most of the peaks we did (including our route up Jiekkhevarri aren't in Lyngen district, although you hit the district line on the summit. Looking the map, actually even our house was in Balsfjord district although it all feels like Lyngen.

Lyngen is also name of that peninsula... everything north from Oteren to Laksvatn (via Nordkjosbotn) road is consered Lyngen from a geographical point of view...

But it's original name is Yykeä btw (not Lyngen).
OP TobyA 21 May 2013
In reply to HeMa:

> Lyngen is also name of that peninsula... everything north from Oteren to Laksvatn (via Nordkjosbotn) road is consered Lyngen from a geographical point of view...

We were actually looking at the geological map whilst there because I noticed the big monolithic cliffs above where we stayed (so on the west side of Lakselvdalen) looked very different to the other rock around there. Turns out that it is a big intrusion (I think that's the word geologists use isn't it?) of sandstone there. It made sense because I suddenly realised the rock looked a lot like all the pictures I've seen of Zion and Canyonlands in the US. Not sure if its horrible quality though or not.
 HeMa 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to HeMa)
>
> [...]
>
> We were actually looking at the geological map whilst there because I noticed the big monolithic cliffs above where we stayed (so on the west side of Lakselvdalen) looked very different to the other rock around there. Turns out that it is a big intrusion (I think that's the word geologists use isn't it?) of sandstone there. It made sense because I suddenly realised the rock looked a lot like all the pictures I've seen of Zion and Canyonlands in the US. Not sure if its horrible quality though or not.

Yah, south of Lakselvbukt... and then on the western flank... pretty close where you start going up Midtagstind.

I think it's pretty much utter crap... like most of the rest there...
 Doug 21 May 2013
In reply to TobyA: intrusion is a word used by geologists but I don't think you can have an intrusion of sandstone

hopefully the pitch, tar, hot wax & feathers are brewing nicely
 mchardski 22 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:

>>A farm called Mobakken in Lakselvdalen. My friend booked it all, so I don't have details but can find out if you want to know

Hey Toby A. this info would be happily recived. i was in Lyngen in april, stayed at Magic Mountain Lodge - which btw was excellent -, however Lyngseidet is far away from the SW of Lyngen. It is great for accessing North, west, east Lyngen, Kafjord etc., but not good for Lakselve etc. For next time, it would be good to have a base down there.

Thoroughly recomend magic mountain lodge. Great food served every night and can go for 2nds and 3rds. Breakfast also great and can make packed lunch.
 Dave 22 May 2013
In reply to mchardski:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> >>A farm called Mobakken in Lakselvdalen. My friend booked it all, so I don't have details but can find out if you want to know
>
> Hey Toby A. this info would be happily recived.

This is where we stayed http://www.lakselvdalenutleie.com/81677906 I have a phone number for some other accomodation there so please mail me if you want that too.

Nice report Toby, of a most succesful trip.
Dave
 Dave 22 May 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> Blåtinden isn't on Lyngen, as I am sure you know. It had one of the coolest summit "cairns" i've ever seen.

Agreed. Completely amazing construction.
 d_b 22 May 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I was curious as I was there in April. Probably won't be back for a couple of years unfortunately.

We spent 10 days at Svensby Tursenter, which was comfortable and cheap: http://www.svensbytursenter.no/

and a few days at Sørheim Brygge, which was palatial but quite expensive: http://www.sorheim-brygge.no/

Both good bases for northern lyngen.
 mchardski 22 May 2013
In reply to Dave:

Thanks a lot Dave, i,ll save that link for next time
OP TobyA 12 Jun 2013
In reply to all:

Part II of my report, some more pics, maps and descriptions of what we did and didn't ski up each day: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/06/lyngen-in-may-ski-mountaineeri...

Mark Bull 12 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Nice one, enjoyed reading that!
 James Thacker 12 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA: Good to read that Toby.
OP TobyA 12 Jun 2013
In reply to James Thacker: Did you do the same route up Jiehkkevárri James?
 James Thacker 25 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA: Hi Toby, yup same route up by the look of your map.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...