UKC

Climbing trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 23 May 2013
Anyone know of any good stretchy climbing trousers with an elasticated waist and loose fitting. Zipped or no pockets would be good so that there is nothing to interfere with the harness. Not Ron Hills they look obscene on a man of my build, sorry I meant age and I don't know if anyone has noticed but they are not cheap any more. The best I've seen are Mammut Pordoi Pants but they are very expensive and hard to get hold of. Alternative track suit bottoms makes I've seen seem a little TOO baggy and dare I say, look like the ones chavs wear in the street. I know that's politically incorrect but I can't think of any other way to describe them.

Everything you see in the shops seems to be cut for hiking and not climbing.
Richard88 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth: i just bought a pair of troll onmi trousers and would definitely reccomend them! Waist is not elasticated but has an internal belt so you can get the waist perfect. Made in Britain too which is always nice and the price is relatively decent.
OP GridNorth 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth: The trouble is they have belts and whatever fastening type is used it ALWAYS interferes with the harness. Not a big deal but I can't understand why it's necessary. I would rather have belt loops which give me the option of a belt that I can remove with no press studs and no fly.
 Rick Graham 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to GridNorth) The trouble is they have belts and whatever fastening type is used it ALWAYS interferes with the harness. Not a big deal but I can't understand why it's necessary. I would rather have belt loops which give me the option of a belt that I can remove with no press studs and no fly.

I agree. Everything is too complicated.

I find the only practical option apart from one (or two) pairs of tracksters is,

find something that fits and cut out/stitch over all the crap,

or buy something off the womens department, less features and wider in the leg for a given waist = better flexibility

regards Rick ( size 16)
DemRavens 23 May 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: Thanks for the tip re women trousers from years of martial arts training I have thunder thighs and always suffer, normally go up 3 to 4 inchs around waist to find a fit!
 Oceanic 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to GridNorth) The trouble is they have belts and whatever fastening type is used it ALWAYS interferes with the harness.

The belt on the Troll Omni pants is really low profile. I don't find that it interferes with my harness at all. They are not stretchy, but I have never felt that they restrict my movement.
OP GridNorth 23 May 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: Hi Rick. There is no way you are a size 16. your bust is only 32 B I'm not giving away my identity on here but I do know you. Not in the biblical sense of course.
 cuppatea 23 May 2013
In reply to

Good tip re ladies trousers. I nearly ended up with a female harness due to my thunder thighs, but they all seem to be lilac or pink
Shhhh!
 cuppatea 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Do male Americum climbers with big legs wear ladies pants?
 Rick Graham 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) Hi Rick. There is no way you are a size 16. your bust is only 32 B I'm not giving away my identity on here but I do know you. Not in the biblical sense of course.

Size 16 in ron hills. Bargin prices and good colours too.
 Rick Graham 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) Hi Rick. I'm not giving away my identity on here but I do know you. Not in the biblical sense of course.

No need to tell everybody, I've worked it out though.

regards Rick
 Jonny2vests 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

If I'm just going local cragging, I usually just wear jeans or similar. Cheap and hard wearing.
 Dopey_172 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:http://www.craghoppers.com/womens-mens-outdoorwear/kiwi-pro-stretch-trouser...

I have two pairs of these and I find them to be brilliant. The zip or button do not interfere with my harness at all, they are not too tight and not too baggy and they are super stretchy. They do seem to be cut more for walking with a baggy hem but I always roll mine up and its works perfect.
 Rick Graham 23 May 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to GridNorth)
>
> If I'm just going local cragging, I usually just wear jeans or similar. Cheap and hard wearing.

After suffering on a windy day in tracksters and envying after my Decathon keks, a friend now climbs in jeans bought for £3 on Preston market.
 Jonny2vests 23 May 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
> After suffering on a windy day in tracksters and envying after my Decathon keks, a friend now climbs in jeans bought for £3 on Preston market.

Exactly. Good enough for Seb Grieve.
OP GridNorth 23 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Jeans and other cotton trousers are fine for cragging but I was looking for something a little more practical for mountain routes. Cotton in the mountians is a bit of a no no.
 iksander 24 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Take a look at Outdoor Research Ferrosi trousers, very light, stretchy, tough, quick drying mobile and comfortable. Tiny seams, so low bulk and no faff under a harness although they have belt loops and a fly. They have low profile elastic at the ankles so you can cynch them down for rolling up when climbing, or close them around your boots when walking like gaitors. £48 from F&T
 Siderunner 24 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
Just bought some excellent Karrimor stretchy soft shell type trousers, very thin, in black, for 35 quid reduced from 70 in Keswick. They do have a silly Elite logo on one leg, but otherwise are ideal, very simple with few extraneous pockets and zips. Only one silly leg vent that they should have left off.
 Roberttaylor 30 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Buy ronhills, spend the money you save on additional ronhills. Shame I can only find them in black.
OP GridNorth 30 May 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor: Surprisingly I have done. I was surprised to find that there were alternatives to the ubiquitous blue with a red stripe that I came to hate and make fun of. I got some black ones that are slim but not so tight that they will traumatise young girls at the wall. Not cheap though.
 Martin Bennett 30 May 2013
In reply to iksander:

Hello Grid. How're you doin'? As you know I also wear the OR Ferrosi trousers. I find them the best I've had for comfort. Very light and not very durable so best in mild conditions. (For Alpine rock routes I like the Mountain Equipment and Sprayway stretch softshell pants I have).
As Iksander said, the waist, fly etc don't seem obtrusive. I don't wear a belt with them. I've just bought another pair for when the existing ones give out. And I've got the shorts. And the jacket!

Oh no! I've just had a thought. If you were to get them and we found ourselves climbing together again we'd have the same pants, the same harness, the same shoes and the same quickdraws - we'd look like Howard and feckin Hilda!

Have you looked at running gear, Ron Hills aside? In the eighties when I refused to wear Ron Hills but tracky bottoms were in vogue we wore some by Sub4 - much more stylish. I've still got a pair.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...