UKC

Gore-tex Active Shell vs Pertex Shield Plus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 24 May 2013
Gore-tex Active Shell vs Pertex Shield Plus

Anyone know the breathability and durability differences?

Cheers,
BR
 gear boy 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: hard to answer as you are comparing a 3 layer system with a 2 layer system,

the active shell should feel more breathable due to having a lining on the inside which helps stop you noticing condensation build up,

a 3 layer in theory should be more durable than a 2 layer, but then active shell weighs more than most shield plus jkts with equivalent features

if you have the budget to spend on active shell then go for it, but IMO as a lightweight waterproof than will spend more time in a pack than wearing it then a shield plus jkt is plenty breathable enough and durable enough
 martinph78 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: I can only comment on the active shell and say I think it is awesome. Totally waterproof (and well tested!) and yet very, very breathable. The best shell I've owned, and I've had a few over the years.

Durability...seems to be doing well although it is thin and does cut quite easily (snagged mine on a trekking pole tip). No signs of wear under pack shoulders though. I wouldn't buy one for professional use as I think it would wear out, the Pro Shell would be better for that.

ice.solo 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

gore is cagey about ASs breathability (measured in grams thru a 1m2 pice per day). ive heard its about 14,000g/m2/24hr. proshell is 12,000.

shield + is rated at 20,000 g/m2/24hr.

shield + comes in various forms with different textures. i wore a shield + jacket all winter (when appropriate for conditions) and liked it a lot, finding it very breathable. as gearboy said above - a layer of non-clammy micromesh makes a fabric feel and work better, and my shield + jacket has a 'peach fuzz' inner that works the same.

AS lasts longer as its simply heftier.
 Jon Wickham 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: There are differences in the durability of various AS garments, with Arc'teryx being the most durable, and some of the cheaper brands/lightest garments being less so. The Pertex Shield is generally more packable. What are you looking to use the garment for?
OP Alpenglow 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: I have a ME Pulsar Jacket (softshell), I just need something I can keep in my bag and put on when it starts raining pretty heavily.
I could do with it being pretty durable as it would be used for Scottish Winter and multi-pitch mainly.

I was thinking something like the ME Firefox or the Rab Kinetic.

Cheers,
BR
OP Alpenglow 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: So I suppose packability and durability would come before breathability.
 gear boy 24 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo: if you use shield + with just a T-shirt it will still get "clammy" on the skin before Active shell, but it is good

but as said comparing this stuff is hard

didn't want to talk about MVTR tests and that opens a-1 and b-1 can of worms !-) Lab test vs real use varies a lot

gear boy 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: breathability argument is a bit out the door if you are using it to throw on over a gore softshell...
 ripper 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver:
> >
> I was thinking something like the ME Firefox or the Rab Kinetic.
>
>
Could be wrong but I don't think the Firefox has a full helmet-compatible hood - be worth checking if that's important to you. I bought a Berghaus Velum fairly recently, as a shell to carry and throw on if it rains hard. too early to talk about durability but I like it so far.
OP Alpenglow 24 May 2013
In reply to gear boy: I think my softshell is Powershield Pro. Not sure whether that makes any difference though. I'll take a look at the Berghaus Velum.
 dutybooty 24 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: Firefox is a very nice jacket. Have one, now replaced with a rab demand pull on. But I still use it on quite a few days out.

Hood is fully helmet compatible.
 Jon Wickham 25 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: I can see why you would want something light and packable, but if you want durability then I wouldn't suggest Shield + or AS to be honest either. I would also mention that if you expect to be wearing a thick softshell underneath then the cuts on the AS jacket may be a little too neat, s feinately try on beforehand. WL Gore would say that AS isn't really suitable for the use your after, but if you feel compelled to go down that route then I would look at the Arc'teryx Alpha FL/Beta FL or Haglofs Spire.

To be honest I would look at a lightweight Pro Shell jacket which will only be maybe 100g heavier than the AS alternatives. Look at Arc'teryx Alpha LT or Haglofs Spitz for starters.
 Jon Wickham 25 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: P.S. New Gore-tex Pro comes out in September. It is more breathable and lighter than current Pro Shell (which it replaces), which makes it an even more compelling alternative to AS and Shield +.
OP Alpenglow 26 May 2013
In reply to blackreaver: After extensive internet searching, I think i'm going to go with the Berghaus Mt Asgard Jacket or Rab Momentum Jacket.

Thanks for all your advice,
BR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...