UKC

Stopping disco/jelly legs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Riley 26 May 2013
I've been finding a lot recently that my legs start shaking really quickly compared to how pumped my arms get (nearlly never).

Does anyone have any advice for how to stop this/ lessen it?
 The Pylon King 26 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley:

drop your heel.
 JLS 26 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley:

It's generallly a simptom of fatigue ie tried legs from running or something. Dropping your heels and much a possible helps a bit.
OP Alex Riley 26 May 2013
Thanks for the tip, sounds about right as it usually happens when I'm trying balancing on small stuff.
In reply to Alex Riley:
There might be some relationship to fatigue, but there must be a lot more to it than that as (in my experience) it mainly seems to happen to inexperienced or nervous people. I had it occasionally when I first started climbing even though I was a lot fitter then than I am now. Now I never get it.
 JanBella 27 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley: happened to me on first E2 6a lead... i dropped the heal, concentrated on the breathing and repeated top rope, top rope , top rope. once it stopped ( literally few seconds ) i was happy to carry on climbing
 Nathan Adam 27 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley: it generally happens to me while i am shitting myself, but i've also had it from tired legs.
 The Ivanator 27 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley: Campus everything, problem solved.
OP Alex Riley 27 May 2013
Thanks for the help guys, I was climbing an e1 5b and e1 6a when I noticed it and to be fair I was bricking it on both, so that probs contributed quite a bit. Thinking about it as well, once I calmed down it went away untill the next point of terror :P
 Rachel Slater 27 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley:

I usually look down at the offending leg and say "stop it" in my head to it in a very stern voice. I'm not joking, this definitely works for me and it stops straight away!
 Nathan Adam 27 May 2013
In reply to r fizzle: I tried this today and can testify that it works, which i never thought it would but it does.
 jkarran 28 May 2013
In reply to Alex Riley:

Relax. Get into a position that minimises the stress on your calves (and ideally your mind), get the balls of your feet on the holds, drop the heels, relax your legs and take some deep breaths to compose yourself. Once you've settled down take whatever action is required to improve your situation, be it resting longer, putting in gear, climbing down, or pressing on to a better position.

Tired legs seem more prone to it but that's sometimes unavoidable.
jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...