UKC

Picos de Europa camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ive heard mixed views on camping/wild camping in Spain in general. Possibly going to the Picos de Europa in the summer for some walking/climbing while inter railing in spain. Does anyone know what the score on wild camping is in Spain? Also, was thinking maybe not to take a tent and manage with a bivi bag as we wouldn't be camping that much and it would save a lot of weight to just bivi
Thanks!
silo 28 May 2013
In reply to Charley17: I think you are ok as long as your more than a couple of kilometres away from a campsite.
 jules699 28 May 2013
In reply to Charley17: Dunno bout wild camping but remember staying at an awesome camp site near Potes that had an awesome shower block playing dance tunes 24/7, a great bar, pool etc!!! Push out the pennies lad!!!
 Monk 28 May 2013
In reply to Charley17: I've not been to the picks for a long time but we used to wild camp with no problem. There's no one there to stop you. The main issue is water - there aren't many stand about.
 GrahamD 28 May 2013
In reply to Charley17:

A few years ago I know but we had absolutely no problem at the site in Fuenta de and have subsequently had a family holiday staying at a really nice site near Potes. We usually headed up on the cable car and bivvied 2 or 3 nights at a time up high near the main climbing areas. We were usually driven down to the site by lack of food/beer and/or being rained on!
 Howard J 28 May 2013
In reply to Charley17: We wild-camped without any problems. The only other people we saw were other walkers and climbers, and we never saw anyone who might have objected. Most of the others we met were bivvying, but we took tents as we were up there for a week. Most of the time it stayed dry, but when it rained, boy did it rain! Forget My Fair Lady, the rain in Spain falls mainly on the Picos.

The main problem is finding somewhere with a water supply.
In reply to Charley17:

Was out at Santa Marina de Valdeon last summer. We headed out with the intention of bivvying around the back of the Jermoso refugio, but actually encountered the police patrolling for wild campers.

You can stay around the edges of the refugios, and the general word is so long as you're well away from the roads and only stopping a night, you're OK. But that definitely wasn't being tolerated in mid-August last year.
 1234None 28 May 2013
In reply to Charley17:

We wild camped for a couple of nights last year fairly close to the naranja de bulnes hut. No problems at all...and plenty of other people around who looked like they'd been there for more than a few days...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...