UKC

Short Half Ropes??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kyaizawa 28 May 2013
Possibly a slightly odd question:

I'm looking for a 35m half rope pair, not too fussed about treatment and slightly harder wearing than thinner is preferrable. Thinking about investing for single pitch cragging and to save my GoldenDry Beals for winter/long multipitches (it's also a faff pulling up 60m of rope on 10m routes and even more faff to keep (un)coiling).

Does anyone know if/where I could get some?? (The closest I've seen are the 30m Beal Icelines from needlesports...) And before anyone suggests it, I'm not a fan of folding over a long single - it seems to be a recipe for rope spaghetti on route!!
 biscuit 28 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:

Buy a half and get the shop to chop it with the hot knife ?

OP kyaizawa 28 May 2013
In reply to biscuit: Could do but it still leaves me with a significant chance of getting twisted ropes, as both l/r are the same color - would ideally like a proper "pair" with different colors.
 Jamie B 28 May 2013
In reply to biscuit:

2 x 25m a bit on the short side even for SP cragging, if you think about bigger crags and anchors well back.
 climber david 28 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:
> (In reply to biscuit) Could do but it still leaves me with a significant chance of getting twisted ropes, as both l/r are the same color - would ideally like a proper "pair" with different colors.

Maybe look for a bi-pattern rope from (I think) Beal. stops ropes being the same colour
the real slim shady 28 May 2013
In reply to biscuit: bit of a roundabout way of doing it, but what about getting one of those ropes that changes pattern halfway along and either folding that or getting the shop to cut it? I don't know if you can get them as a 70m but it might be worth looking into?

HTH
 Log dog 28 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa: Find somebody else who wants a half rope for the same purpose and swap half. I was thinking of doing the same as a long half rope is more often cheaper than twins.
 James Thacker 28 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa: As others have mentioned one option is a bi-coloured/patterned rope cut in two. Alternatively Edelrid do the Swift and other ropes in 40m lengths, they might even have them in 30m's. You might need to order through a retailer specifically.

Agree regarding folding, seems like a good idea, but two ropes are much better.
 biscuit 29 May 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Then why not chop a 70m and then you've got a 35m length ? They don't only make them in 50m lengths.
 biscuit 29 May 2013
In reply to Log dog:
> (In reply to kyaizawa) Find somebody else who wants a half rope for the same purpose and swap half. I was thinking of doing the same as a long half rope is more often cheaper than twins.

This may just be terminology problems but twin ropes and half ropes are different and used for different purposes. You shouldn't chop a long half rope and use it as twin ropes.
 Coel Hellier 29 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:

I agree that two 35-m half ropes (of different colours) are really useful for grit and other short cragging, much reducing faff and saving wear on ones longer ropes.

Outside in Hathersage used to do 35m "Infinity" ropes for this purpose, but don't now. Does this mean there is too little demand for them?
 jkarran 29 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:

Left and Right (as opposed to colours) is easy to deal with in practice if you fold a rope, it works fine.

jk
 pebbles 29 May 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier: agree, I have a pair of 30m red and blue respectively ropes which I got by buying a pair of 60s with a friend, then just chopped in half with a hot knife, sealed the ends giving us each a pair of 30s. they are brilliant for most grit crags where there is no need for anything longer, and very nice to only have half the ropeage to carry up the hill
 Sheffield Sam 29 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:

If you email the guys over at beta climbing, who import Sterling ropes they can get you a set of 35m duetto's. Great ropes, really pleased with mine.

Sam
 Blue Straggler 29 May 2013
In reply to biscuit:

You are the first to have mentioned twin ropes though.
 Coel Hellier 29 May 2013
In reply to jkarran:

> Left and Right (as opposed to colours) is easy to deal with in practice if you fold a rope, it works fine.

It works, yes, but it's significantly harder than different colours and significantly easier for the belayer to mistake which rope.
 pebbles 29 May 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier: and a complete bugger if the ropes get crossed
 jkarran 29 May 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier:

I can only speak from my experience and I've done it a fair bit. It's never been a problem for me on either end of the rope. I guess plenty of folk have trouble with Left and Right so experiences may differ.

jk
 jkarran 29 May 2013
In reply to pebbles:

> and a complete bugger if the ropes get crossed

You just tug the one you want, same as when you can't hear or see each other clearly, it still works fine.

jk
 Coel Hellier 29 May 2013
In reply to jkarran:

> You just tug the one you want, ...

But a good belayer will anticipate that the leader is about to clip some gear, and pay out slack. Waiting for a rope to be tugged, and then paying some out is less optimal.
OP kyaizawa 30 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions: I'm in touch with several distributors to get quotes; bicolor/Duodess/DuoTec/ACR, etc. half ropes are really quite tricky to get hold of (plenty in the 9.5-10.5 single rope category) and ironically the cheapest way so far seems to be to be to buy the cheapest set of 50m halves and cut them down...seems a waste, but a lot of companies don't seem to make 35m halves!!
 bpmclimb 30 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:
> (In reply to kyaizawa)
>
> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions: I'm in touch with several distributors to get quotes; bicolor/Duodess/DuoTec/ACR, etc. half ropes are really quite tricky to get hold of (plenty in the 9.5-10.5 single rope category) and ironically the cheapest way so far seems to be to be to buy the cheapest set of 50m halves and cut them down...seems a waste, but a lot of companies don't seem to make 35m halves!!

A matching pair of 35m halves of different colours would be very useful. I'd be interested in whatever you can find out. I'd consider sharing the cost of two 70m cut in half, although that length is probably hard to find in halves too.
 biscuit 30 May 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

My reply was to log dog who mentioned it being cheaper than buying twins.

Would have taken less time to look than it did to type your reply.
August West 30 May 2013
In reply to kyaizawa:

Beal do the Joker rope in 35 (and 70) metre lengths. The 35m is sold as the Scrambler but is exactly the same as the longer lengths. 9.1mm and satisfies the criteria for single, half or twin tope. You might have to shop around to find the Scrambler in two different colours though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...