UKC

The State of current Limestone Guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ned taylor 29 May 2013
Am I right in thinking that the only in-print/ current guidebooks to the Peak District/ North Wales/ Yorkshire areas are the Rockfax Peak Limestone, and Clwyd Limestone guide, and A55 Sport Climbs?

Does anyone know if or when any new Yorkshire Guides are due out or if there is going to be a re-print of the Rockfax Northern Limestone?

I am in need of some Limestone inspiration for the summer, and was disappointed to find so few guides relative to the state of near total Grit coverage.

Cheers All
Apologies if this is the wrong forum.
In reply to ned taylor:

I thought that the YMC definitive Yorkshire Limestone guide was still in print or certainly available in the shops. The Rockfax northern Lime and the YMC guide hit the shelves about the same time.

The Rockfax Clwyd guide is basically the definitive guide - the autor Lee Proctor occasionally posts on here. I don't think there's a current guide in print to the Ormes. The A55 guide covers the smaller crags east of the Ormes.

For the Peak, the Rockfax guide is your current best bet. No idea when the BMC guides to peak lime are due (if ever)

For South Lakes Limestone there's the FRCC guide to Eden Valley and S. Lakes Limestone. This is about 18 months old now.

ALC
In reply to ned taylor:

ALC's reply is spot on. From a Rockfax point of view, our schedule is now taking shape for the next two years as below (wrt limestone):

North Wales Climbs (including best of the Ormes, Castle Inn and Penmaen Head) - October 2013
Clwyd Limestone (new updated edition) - Late 2104
Yorkshire Limestone, including South Lakes - Some time probably in 2014

Alan
OP ned taylor 29 May 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks for the swift reply.
I guess I'm not too concerned really, I just wanted something shiny and new to get some inspiration whilst I'm sat in work.
It's hard to complain given the relentless production of Rockfax guides, and the sterling BMC work on all the peak guides.
Looking forward to the Ormes guide.
 Blue Straggler 29 May 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
>
> Clwyd Limestone (new updated edition) - Late 2104

Are you waiting for the physical topography to change?!
 Ally Smith 29 May 2013
In reply to ned taylor:

The definitive North Wales limestone guidebook is still being written, but due to a difference in opinion, the main author is banned from posting on here, so you might not hear a lot about it from UKC.

Said author has also recently injured himself, so might have some spare time on his hands to go about finishing it off some time soon???

All profits from the definitive guide will go back into the local bolt fund which is how things like the Diamond via ferrata and new staniless steel steps into pigeon's hole have been funded. A worthy cause i hope you'll agree?
 Al Evans 29 May 2013
In reply to ned taylor: I'd like to see a coherent reply from the BMC to this question, their performance since the last set of Peak Limestone guides has been lamentable, I'm sure if the CC had responsibility an excellent series of definitive guides would be out by now.
 Mike Stretford 29 May 2013
In reply to ally smith:
> (In reply to ned taylor)
>
> The definitive North Wales limestone guidebook is still being written, but due to a difference in opinion, the main author is banned from posting on here, so you might not hear a lot about it from UKC.
>

Who's publishing that one?
In reply to Papillon:

Well it doesn't look like it's the CC: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/eshop/guidebook-prep.php

ALC
 snoop6060 29 May 2013
In reply to Papillon:

Pete Harrison I think: http://thesend.co.uk/apps/northwaleslimestone.php

Alan - do you have a list of crags that will be covered in your forthcoming north wales guide?
 The Ivanator 29 May 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to ned taylor) I'm sure if the CC had responsibility an excellent series of definitive guides would be out by now.

Are you sure? CC Swanage due 2010/11/12/13/??
 Shapeshifter 29 May 2013
In reply to snoop6060:

I wish somebody would get on and publish a comprehensive N.Wales Limestone guide insted of all this....after you, no after you dear boy..no I insist...well now I've lost interest....well then so have I.

A selfish climbing public awaits!!
 Simon Caldwell 29 May 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
The next BMC Peak guides are currently being worked on - we met some of the team at Stoney doing some new routing (hopefully they'll remember to check the old ones as well).
I'd be surprised if it saw the light of day this decade, but then I'm a miserable old sceptic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...