UKC

Portugal surf spots with rented accommodation / camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Gough 03 Jun 2013
Can anybody recommend a decent surfing spot in Portugal or northern Spain with rented accommodation/camping (preferably rented chalet type things) nearby and the possibility of surfing lessons? Being near a climbing spot would be a bonus but isn't essential.
 Mike Stretford 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Steve Gough: Sagres.
 nniff 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Papillon:

What he said. Get in touch with Geeze of this parish who lives locally and is into both the climbing and surfing scenes there.

Sagres has a wide range of accomodation from surfy type bunkhouses upwards. I'm sure there's camping too, but I'm not familiar with any.
 philipivan 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Steve Gough:

There was plenty when we arrived in Lisbon a few years back at spots like Peniche, Supertubos etc. It's a lovely area to surf!
Removed User 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Steve Gough:
another vote for Sagres; but beware that there can be a bit of localism around some of the Sagres breaks. If you haven't already, try looking at magic seaweed ( http://magicseaweed.com/Sagres-Tonel-Surf-Report/128/) for some ideas about accommodation. I've stayed at the Ocean View apartments in Carrapateira and can definitely recommend them.
If you can, hire a car when out there, one of the great things about surfing in the Algarve is that you have 2 coastlines, this giving a lot of options and versatility depending on the weather and swell, but you need to be mobile to take advantage of this. Free camping at a beach called Branco's (barrancos) on the S coast (or at least there was when I was there), but you ain't getting there without a car!
If you are looking for surfing lessons as well it might be worthwhile booking into a surf camp for at least part of your stay as that will sort out your lessons, equipment, accommodation and transport in one package.
cheers
rb
spooky 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Steve Gough: was in Peniche last summer. A developing surf town so plenty of good cheap accommodation and surf schools. A really nice place for a holiday.
OP Steve Gough 03 Jun 2013
In reply to everyone:
Many thanks for the advice - I'll follow up some of those leads!
 mark burley 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Steve Gough: try Ericeira north of Lisbon, that would be my choice.
 Graeme Barr 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Steve Gough: Playa de Rodiles in northern spain was a pretty nice spot with camping just behind the beach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...