UKC

Alpine Insurance, just rescue cover?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 04 Jun 2013
It has always struck me that I am over-insured when I go away with my family, but I climb. I have a family holiday cover which covers 'trekking', but then have taken out the BMC for me whilst I climb.
I have mailed the BMC, and they do not provide just Rescue cover.
Anyone aware if this is available?
Bob kate bob 04 Jun 2013
RCC 04 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
> It has always struck me that I am over-insured when I go away with my family, but I climb. I have a family holiday cover which covers 'trekking', but then have taken out the BMC for me whilst I climb.

It is unlikely that the family holiday cover would payout for any costs associated with a climbing accident. Check the policy wording very carefully.
 beardy mike 04 Jun 2013
In reply to Bob kate bob: +1. Used it before. In anger. It works, its cheap and it gives hut discount
OP JohnnyW 04 Jun 2013
In reply to RCC:

Believe me, I do - That's why I am asking the question.
I took a fall in the Dolomites, whilst BMC covered. Repatriation and medical cover is all well and good, but only for you, not any of the family, as they were on a differnt policy.
Covering the whole family on a BMC policy is very expensive, especially given that they are not doing anything hilly. So you take out a family travel policy, and end up double-covered.

I'll have a look at the AAC. Thought about it before, but went for the BMC
RCC 04 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

> I took a fall in the Dolomites, whilst BMC covered. Repatriation and medical cover is all well and good, but only for you, not any of the family, as they were on a differnt policy.
> Covering the whole family on a BMC policy is very expensive, especially given that they are not doing anything hilly. So you take out a family travel policy, and end up double-covered.

I doubt you would be double covered. If you have a fall, and you are covered by a rescue only policy, then your repatriation/ medical costs would not be covered by your family policy (because it was a climbing accident). Neither would your family's repatriation/ incidental costs for the same reason.

I know that I have always gone with the BMC family policy in that situation for exactly those reasons.

OP JohnnyW 04 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
Done - Bargain, given it covers you all year. Can't understand why I didn't do it before.
 beardy mike 04 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: No brainer innit. Means you can flash your card when you go to huts with the family and most likely get a family discount if you smile pretty
 CurlyStevo 04 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
the limits on AAC are a bit on the low side (but probably good enough!) but on the plus side its a very simply worded policy without a million loop holes.
 paulmck 04 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: agree its on the low side if you want search and rescue but if you can tell the chopper where you are, AAC should be fine (I use it). Pretty sure the helicopter rescue in france is free but medical treatment won't be. I wasn't charged for a chopper trip out of the vallee blanche last year and this has been confirmed by others.
marmot hunter 04 Jun 2013
In reply to paulmck:
Snowcard allow you to have medical and rescue without the baggage etc cover (which is usually covered on house insurance)
They also do partner etc discounts
 timjones 04 Jun 2013
In reply to marmot hunter:
> (In reply to paulmck)
> Snowcard allow you to have medical and rescue without the baggage etc cover (which is usually covered on house insurance)
> They also do partner etc discounts

I bet house insurance won't cover your gear if it gets blown into a crevasse by the downdraught from a rescue helicopter
 David Barratt 04 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: I know it been said, but AAC. That's what I'm doing this year. BMC has just become too expensive.
In reply to David Barratt: Also, Got a 15% discount with AAC in Cotswolds today, you get this with BMC as well but still.
marmot hunter 04 Jun 2013
In reply to timjones:
Never tried but it has paid out for a few bike accidents and losses like that.
BMC insurance is way too expensive! About twice that of Snowcard for us two.
 timjones 04 Jun 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to David Barratt) Also, Got a 15% discount with AAC in Cotswolds today, you get this with BMC as well but still.

Cotswold would give a discount if you showed them a rusty old Dennis the Menace Fan Club badge
In reply to timjones: You do not lie, sir.
 CurlyStevo 05 Jun 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to David Barratt) Also, Got a 15% discount with AAC in Cotswolds today, you get this with BMC as well but still.

no bmc is 10% (or it was last time I went in!)
bradzy_c 06 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Must've been a while ago, it's now 15%.
 CurlyStevo 06 Jun 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:
ahh yes my bad they increased it in September....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...