UKC

Kinder Downfall area - descents etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 05 Jun 2013
I'm wondering about heading up towards the Downfall area at the weekend to avoid the worst of the heat and the queues. I'm fairly bumbly and we're going to be with at least one novice leader. It's not really clear from the guidebook how hard / scary / unpleasant it is to get down from stuff around there - are there convenient and reasonably sensible descents or is it all "teeter across the steep slippery grass and then downclimb the V Diff"?

I'm all up for a bit of adventure, but it's good to know what you're letting yourself in for...

Thanks!
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I've only played up here in winter but from memory its a long walk round on steep grass or abseil back down each time then walk off the top at the end of the day.
 LakesWinter 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: The descents involve a bit of a walk with some easy scrambling from the Zig Zag area (classic V Diff). The Extinguisher Chimney area has a really easy descent and South Wall is a nice easier route.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jun 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

That's my memory too. ie pretty easy for the sort of person with enough sense of adventure to head up there in the first place
 deacondeacon 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: the crags over by the pagoda etc couldn't be easier to get back down, or Dovestone tor could be a good bet.
OP Ramblin dave 05 Jun 2013
In reply to deacondeacon:
Dovestones and the southern edges are also options, but the downfall area looks like it's got more really top notch routes at the grades we're interested in, namely Zig Zag and South Wall and the Downfall itself for the VDiff leaders and the Great Chimney and Mermaid's Ridge for me.
In reply to Toreador:
Cool, thanks!
In reply to Ramblin dave: Also Twopenny Tube. Because any route on grit where the guide advises you to "bring a headtorch and a picnic" has to be a tempter...
In reply to Ramblin dave: Descents are reasonably straightforward as with any grit crag. YOu might do well to set up an ab rope in the Amphitheatre itself to save loads of walking about, but other than that just keep your eyes peeled and you'll be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...