UKC

Cheshire Bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Harpyyy 07 Jun 2013
Hi all, me and my friend are looking for some outdoor bouldering spots around the Cheshire area... PREFERABLY outdoor as we really want to try our hand at some real rock. Does anyone know any good locations or guides to look at regarding outdoor bouldering around the Cheshire area? Or... if not... where is worth making the trip to to find plenty of outdoor bouldering spots in the same area? At the moment we're comfortably v5 standard, pushing v6 in terms of indoor sport bouldering.

Thanks all.
 Andypandyroo 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy:

Hi,

Plenty in Frodsham. There is also an area in Helsby.

Frodsham http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1056

Helsby http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=12388

Hope this helps.

Andy
 sxrxg 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy:

You need the Cheshire and Merseyside Sandstone Guide (http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6606) it has all the bouldering in the area and also the routes.

Just remember it is very diffrent from indoors and you may need to lower your grade at first. Also remember that the sandstone is easily damaged so don't climb on it if it is even slightly damp and one final thing remember to clean your shoes before every attempt as the dirt/grit wears away the footholds otherwise (and you are more likely to slip off!)

As well as the local sandstone there are also some other crags fairly close including waun-y-llyn country park and the limestone of ruthin/pantymwyn if you are feeling strong!
 tim000 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy: where in cheshire are you? im in northwich. i have a bouldering mat and the cheshire and merseyside sandstone guidebook. not done much outdoor bouldering mainly indoor(warrington) climbing v3-4. would`nt mind getting out sometime . as well as the plces mentioned ther are some smaller sites like manley, harmers wood and bickerton.
In reply to Harpyyy: Pexhill quarry, near Widnes, is somewhere you should visit. Initially it engenders humility about your capabilities. Thereafter it breeds strong fingers, neat footwork and a new perception about just what you call a good hold.

T.
Harpyyy 09 Jun 2013
In reply to tim000: Hi mate, i'm over in Congleotn... so if i did go to over to Frodsham (which i definitely will at some point this summer) ill drop you a message. Definintely intend to get some indoor under the belt first... ive been out of practice for 6 months now n need to re-train :S
Harpyyy 09 Jun 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo: Thanks thats brilliant, both sites look class definitely going to head over to Frodsham at some point this summer
adam11 09 Jun 2013
Heighley castle, near Alsager. I don't know what access is like these days, but it used to be, 'Here's the Game keeper, hide in the trees'
 Monk 09 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy: if you're in Congleton, then you have the peak district on your doorstep. The roaches has all the bouldering you will ever need and it's only about 25 minutes away.
 steveriley 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy:
All the above are great and close to my heart but you also have the Roaches, Doxey's Pool, Gibb Torr, Baldstones, Newstones, the Churnet Valley close by - some truly outstanding venues.

As well as the Cheshire book, have a look at Boulder Britain, VPubs Peak Bouldering and click around on the interactive map on this site.
 steveriley 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy:
> Definintely intend to get some indoor under the belt first... ive been out of practice for 6 months now n need to re-train :S

PS No, you need to go and climb some stuff outside - it's quite different and you may find it 210% more rewarding. If not you can always go indoors
 Adam Long 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy:

There is a decent local's circuit at Bosley cloud which is right on your doorstep, if you get into routes there's a bit more to go at, but growing up in Knutsford it did me for a few evenings. Central Cheshire is a bit limited on crags but there is a good variety within an hour's travel in most directions.

As others have said, the Staffs grit is closer to you than Frodsham etc, and a better area - loads to go at.
 teapot 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Harpyyy:

As others have said- get yourself to the Roaches area. Once you have discovered outdoor bouldering, then the journey and cost of travelling (and entry) to Awesome Walls will seem second best.

Don`t get put off by not being able to climb the same grades as indoors. my students can often climb v5/6 indoors and not get up a v1/2 on real rock. Don`t even worry too much about grades, just look for cool looking problems and get stuck in.

I live in Macc and if you wanted to borrow a bouldering mat for the summer, then I could lend you an old one. Its pretty weighty as its had its foam replaced with dense foam, but you won`t have long walk ins (assuming you and your mate have access to a car). I have an old battered copy of Peak Bouldering too that you can have.

So no excuses- PM me if interested

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...