UKC

weather in alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuart58 07 Jun 2013
is the snow really bad looks quite low down on all webcams
 walts4 07 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58:
> is the snow really bad looks quite low down on all webcams

Yes, totally, excessively low & depressingly low for the time of year.

At least 4 weeks of sun before normal service resumes unfortunately
 chris bedford 07 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58:

But could be a great year for snow / ice / N.faces....
Whymper couloir in August?
 paulmck 08 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: Depends what you want to do and when you are going. In Chamonix, Mont Blanc summit is only doable on skis at the moment but I climbed chere couloir, contamine-grisolle and cosmiques arete all in the last week. Only the midi and montents lifts are running at the moment. A rockfall has delayed the opening of the lift on the italy side to the torino hut so its the lift situation thats the limiting factor in that area at the moment. No idea what its like in switzerland though and the ecrins could be fine as well.
 paulmck 09 Jun 2013
In reply to paulmck: Torino lift now opening so that increases your options if you can get over to the Italian side.
 alexm198 09 Jun 2013
In reply to paulmck: any idea what the north face of the Tour Ronde is looking like?
In reply to alexm198: Just been to the guides office. It has been in great condition the last few days but high wind and snow last night (and maybe tonight) have blown away all tracks and raise risk of wind slab.

We're hoping to head up and over tomorrow so will report back.

Everything off the Midi is in great condition, lots of teams on Pointe Lachenal, Cosmiques Arete and Chere. Some teams on Left Edge and Contamine Mazeaud. Also, people going as far as the Rognon on the Midi-Plan traverse but no further as too much snow
OP stuart58 09 Jun 2013
In reply to cmaradcliffe: Are there still lots of snow around le tour area I read somewhere that the route up to albert premier was avalanche risk
In reply to stuart58: Yep, snow shoes needed. People are going up there but mostly for glacier practice and sleeping at altitude. I don't think many routes are being climbed up there but not 100%...
bradzy_c 10 Jun 2013
In reply to cmaradcliffe: Is Blanc looking like a complete no-go for the rest of this week? We have the three monts route of the gouter route on the cards for next week.

Cheers.
bradzy_c 10 Jun 2013
In reply to bradzy_c: or*
In reply to bradzy_c: You really can't tell - it has rained/snowed the last two days with the next 3 set to be scorchers. This makes any snow route unpredictable and unstable.

I think the only people who have made it up MB have been on skis but that is just hearsay...

There is plenty to climb though, just need to be a bit flexible with objectives
bradzy_c 10 Jun 2013
In reply to cmaradcliffe: Many thanks. I'll check into the OHM and get the low down when I'm there.
 thomaspomfrett 11 Jun 2013
In reply to bradzy_c: Any updates on conditions in Cham? Heading over on Thursday...
OP stuart58 14 Jun 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett: present conditions anyone
 malstewart 14 Jun 2013
We were at the Torino refuge yesterday. About six teams did the N face Tour Ronde, talking to one guide afterwards he said it was the best conditions he had seen on the route for many years. We were on the normal route and it was in perfect condition. There were lots of people doing the walk across from Midi to the Torino.
Hendofan 18 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58:
Yeah Saas Fee was awful 3 weeks ago. Got nowhere near any summits, very depressing. The woman who works in the safe said its the snowiest spring she'd ever seen.

OP stuart58 18 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: bump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...