UKC

Photos on Cloggy last Sat on Shrike and Axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Hutton 10 Jun 2013
Would the climbers, 2 guys who did the Axe and Shrike and 2 girls who did Shrike like to get in contact with me as I have some of the best photos I have ever taken they might like to see.

Or if anyone who knows them please let me know
In reply to Mike Hutton: Hi Mike, the 2 guys were Mark Almack and Chris Todd, and the two girls, Gwen Lancashire and Anna Gilyeat. I'll show them this link.

Can't believe how busy Cloggy was this weekend!

Dunc
 Morgan Woods 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Hutton:

"best.....ever" so why not just post 'em in your gallery?
OP Mike Hutton 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Because I am a professional photographer and I don't give photos away fro free
 krikoman 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Hutton:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
>
> Because I am a professional photographer and I don't give photos away fro free

Booo!!
 ctodd 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Hutton:

sent you an email mike.

chris.
 LeeWood 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Hutton: Then you're making use of UKC for commerce ??
 JJL 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Hi Mike

Just to be clear here - are you going to charge them for the shots? Is that the plan?

Lots of people post here to (re)unite photos with their subjects and no money changes hands...

J
 The Pylon King 10 Jun 2013
In reply to LeeWood:
> (In reply to Mike Hutton) Then you're making use of UKC for commerce ??

If you post them up here anyone can get hold of and you use them.

I would suspect he just wants to send them to the climbers involved only.
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to Mike Hutton)
>
> Hi Mike
>
> Just to be clear here - are you going to charge them for the shots? Is that the plan?
>
> Lots of people post here to (re)unite photos with their subjects and no money changes hands...
>
> J

Maybe it's his plan to charge, maybe it isn't but it's nothing to do with you unless you're one of the climbers involved. Mike's a decent guy and he has to make a living. If he chooses to ask for a payment that's his call. On the other hand if he offers them the shots for free that's his choice too.

Lots of people certainly do post to "reunite" photos and subject, but 99% of those people have regular salaries and aren't professional snappers.

The "..." at the end of your post implies that Mike would be out of order to charge but it's really none of your business what he does (you'd be surprised how many people expect to get professional climbing photography for free).

J1234 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike Hutton:
Mike is a hell of a nice guy and does a lot of guidebook work, see Yorkshire Grit, Over The Moors, Skye Guide, Rockfax et al and puts an awful lot into climbing and the community, he is one of the good guys, and we as a climbing community would be much the poorer without his efforts.
 Banned User 77 11 Jun 2013
In reply to sjc: I don't see the issue at all.. charging or not. In running photographers normally charge, they email you with a list of pics they have and costs.. (normally exorbitant) I've never bought them but just because I'm the subject I don't see why I shouldn't pay..

1 or 2 are free and that's great, but its their call.
 LeeWood 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky: So, like any other professional he's entitled to pucrchase a premier post
 Enty 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky:
> (In reply to JJL)
> [...]
>
> Maybe it's his plan to charge, maybe it isn't but it's nothing to do with you unless you're one of the climbers involved. Mike's a decent guy and he has to make a living. If he chooses to ask for a payment that's his call. On the other hand if he offers them the shots for free that's his choice too.
>
> Lots of people certainly do post to "reunite" photos and subject, but 99% of those people have regular salaries and aren't professional snappers.
>
> The "..." at the end of your post implies that Mike would be out of order to charge but it's really none of your business what he does (you'd be surprised how many people expect to get professional climbing photography for free).

Well said - some comments on this post are making me shake my head.

E
 LeeWood 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Enty: Yes, they're making me shake my head also. I'm a nice guy too, what privileges am I entitled to? A Premier Post costs a mere fiver.
In reply to LeeWood:

1) is he actually selling it? He may just want it to have limited distribution so he can sell it to others. We don't know.
Even he is:
2) He can't pay a fiver to advertise every picture as the chance of uptake must be small. 1 in 10? So £50 outlay..

Enty 11 Jun 2013
In reply to LeeWood:

I think what has got me bewildered is why this miniscule issue would get someone uptight in the first place.

Anyhow, I'm out of here - it's 25° - bike or climb??

E
J1234 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Enty:
Both, cycle to the crag
 LeeWood 11 Jun 2013
In reply to IainRUK: A risk in payback is a normal undertaking in business. I've just sown a line of carrots; I assure you that success rates are low. The man stated his intentions.
In reply to LeeWood: No its not. If you are selling a jacket, it will fit 2-3 million people in the UK.. you have a sizeable market..

Here his market is 1-2 people. So he wants to find out who they are either to offer it for free or sell it just to them.

Good luck with the carrots..
 jon 11 Jun 2013
In reply to LeeWood:
> (In reply to IainRUK) ... The man stated his intentions.

Did he?

abseil 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky:
>...you'd be surprised how many people expect to get professional climbing photography for free.

And not just photography professional help - other professionals are often expected to help for nothing too. One example I've seen, lawyers.
In reply to Mike Hutton: I get fed up of people just "asking for advice" too. Even on the phone.............. FFS I am a professional and need paying for what I do. The other one is "hi mate, can you do me a favour?" My usual answer is what can you do for me?" They look at me thinking it's a wind up, a joke.

The usual favour I want in return is money in my till. Bartering can work but usually they have nothing to offer.

Other day I had a guy poll into work mid day who had a gear shifting problem and his seat wanted adjusting, plus his tyre needed more inflation. Bear in mind at this point he had ridden 20 miles in from the next town. No please or thank you, he just expected me to "help him out". As "part of the cycling community that we all belong to.............."

I reminded him quite clearly that this wasn't a service halt for tourers and that my "cycling community" started and finished at my doorstep. Scanning his bike, clothing and equipment I asked him which part of his local cycling community he had bought them from............. "Oh I don't use shops, just the internet. Shops are too expensive........"

He pedalled away a lot faster than he arrived............wanker.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...