UKC

Recommend me a tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 10 Jun 2013
Need to buy a new tent.

The spec is:

Big two man tent which will take 3.
Will withstand a force 10 gale and horizontal rain.
Entrance porch big enough to change winter out of winter gear (high enough to crouch in).
Not that bothered about weight, within reason.
Can be erected by one person.
 Mikkel 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

one of Hillebergs tunnel tents?
 graeme jackson 10 Jun 2013

We recently bought a vango omega 350 from Go outdoors and were really pleasantly surprised at it's ability to withstand horizontal rain and high winds a few weeks ago. Loads of porch space and easily big enough for 3 normal sized adults. £150. you could get the EOS 350 for £99 which saves on some of the material specs but it's essentially the same tent.
 Adam15 10 Jun 2013

Have a look at the Vango Chinook 300, good size and very stable
 Mark Torrance 10 Jun 2013

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/trispace-tent/

Not too expensive. Not too heavy. Tough. Big for two but fine for three (and just about possible for two adults and two kids). Very quick and easy to pitch. Big porch. Big bag.

iksander 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: Budget?
 nniff 10 Jun 2013

http://tinyurl.com/nqnmzuz
Should do the job. Not light mind.

Removed User 10 Jun 2013

We have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT. We could easily have got by with a 2, but the 3 was on some daft special offer. Ticks all your boxes, masses of space and light for its size. In high winds it is noisy but it stays up.
 LastBoyScout 10 Jun 2013

I've got a Vango Equinox 250 - loads of guy lines and the TDS system means it's pretty solid. Huge porch.

Fine for 2, cosy for 3, but there's a 350 if you need more room.

Bit on the heavy side, but easy to pitch on your own.
 The RigPig 10 Jun 2013

A 2nd for the Vango Omega 350, I've had mine a few years now and it's never let me down. Bags of space and plenty of room to get changed out of wet gear in the Porch.

Nath
cb294 10 Jun 2013

If you have the money I would recommend the Hilleberg Saivo, a tunnel/dome hybrid tent. I have the Tarra (the smaller, two man version), and it is the most bombproof tent I have ever owned. Much more stable than the already good Hilleberg tunnels. Although my Keron 3 is a robust tent I would definitely add a second set of poles if I expected force 10 gales. Sideways wind can kill the tunnels if the pegs get pulled out of soft ground.

The porch of these hybrids is bigger than that of comparable dome tents.

I also liked the look of the Vaude Power Atreus (which would have been much cheaper) but it was slightly too big for my needs.

CB
almost sane 11 Jun 2013
The new Lightwave T25 Arctic looks tasty.
almost sane 11 Jun 2013
If you go onto the Outdoor Magazin web site, they have tests of tents before a wind machine, measuring the wind speed at which it collapses.
A surprise in terms of strength was the Robens Goshawk. Three hundred quid, and the tent stayed upright in 100km/h winds.
 getandy 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: I have a Mountain hardwear trango 2 which I can definitely recommend. It is strong has a fair amount of space in the porch, fully geodesic design and lovely and roomy. the hundereds of pouched are also a great touch if you are like me and tend to misplace things when you are in a messy tent. the only downside is the weight and the price. it will set u back about £450 and is not really a light weight tent by any means but you have said the weight it not a problem.
 dek 11 Jun 2013
One of the NF dome/geodesic jobs. Spacious, and Amazing in high winds! Thought about Nanok tents, used in the arctic?

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/nanok/nanok-tents.html
Removed User 11 Jun 2013

Many thanks for all the recommendations. Lots to look at, I'd never even heard of Hilleberg before.

I was thinking of an upper price of maybe £400. Niff, the garden shed would probably be out of that budget and a bit heavy although it does look very comfortable.

ice.solo 12 Jun 2013

TNF V25. proven beyond all doubt. not too bad a price, available easily.

> Big two man tent which will take 3.
easily. 4 without much hassle

> Will withstand a force 10 gale and horizontal rain.
easily. used in himalayan high camps all the time.

> Entrance porch big enough to change winter out of winter gear (high enough to crouch in).
just. intentionally big enough to use as a toilet space.

> Not that bothered about weight, within reason.
5 and a bit kg.

> Can be erected by one person.
easily. do it myself maybe 20 times a year. can do with fly attached if wanted.

jonnyblindsign 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: I got a Marmot Asgard fairly recently, not had it out in a gale yet but its stood up to some fairly bad weather and feels very solid and ticks most of your requirements. I've managed to put it up on my own very easily and has a good solid portch. It is normally sold above your budget, but I got lucky and found an ex-demo version for about £250.
 d_b 13 Jun 2013

Ortik Jetstream 2 will tick those boxes. Only drawback is that it isn't light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...