UKC

The Blue Lagoon is no more (Harpur Hill)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-22843481

It's a shame really as it was useful means of sterilzing the residents of the immediate area, and consequently a great way of reducing the amount of inbreeding going on.
 Bulls Crack 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky:

"It was absolutely beautiful..."?

Blimey - easily pleased!
In reply to Bulls Crack: The blueness of the "lake" did lend a kind of alpine aura to the crag. I gave up climbing there when someone was killed by a block falling off of a popular route, so that makes it even more Alpine.
 Dave Garnett 11 Jun 2013

The Black Lagoon has a certain frisson too though.

Apparently it looks more gray than black so the bleach may be working already.
 teflonpete 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Frank the Husky)
>
> "It was absolutely beautiful..."?
>
> Blimey - easily pleased!

They'll be banging on about the tranquility of the pond at Lawrencefield next!
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> They'll be banging on about the tranquility of the pond at Lawrencefield next!
I wonder if anyone has ever taken a fishing net down to the Lawrencefield pond to fish out what must be a pirates treasure of dropped climbing gear?

teflonpete 11 Jun 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
> [...]
> I wonder if anyone has ever taken a fishing net down to the Lawrencefield pond to fish out what must be a pirates treasure of dropped climbing gear?

Give it another couple of years and it'll probably be heaped up over the water's surface!
Clauso 11 Jun 2013

The pool at Lawrencefield is one of only 5 locations in the UK - the others being Brothers Water, Haweswater, Red Tarn and Ullswater in the Lakes - that harbours the schelly (Coregonus stigmaticus); a rare breed of freshwater whitefish. It was thought to have been transferred there by construction workers involved in building the dam at Haweswater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schelly
 Dave Garnett 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:

You had me going for minute there!
That's a shame. It was a nice colour.
I must admit, I had a dip in there a few years ago on my first visit to harpur hill. No signs were in place at all, we'd never heard it was toxic and other people were swimming in there.

Nobody else on here gone in unknowingly?

Clauso 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I've recently taken to posting similar items on the Springwatch forums. My ultimate goal is to have Chris Packham read one out live on air.
KevinD 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Clauso:

> I've recently taken to posting similar items on the Springwatch forums. My ultimate goal is to have Chris Packham read one out live on air.

then you need to start wikisalting and not just rely on laziness.
Clauso 11 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:

My previous attempts at modifying Wikipedia have usually been thwarted fairly quickly... Even my modification of Michaela Strachan's page to include the fact that she was once a Butlins knobbly knees contest winner, as a child, was soon overwritten.
 wilkie14c 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar:
> That's a shame. It was a nice colour.
> I must admit, I had a dip in there a few years ago on my first visit to harpur hill.

Jesus, you better get your tadpoles checked out bud! I've a bottle of that water in the shed I use for disolving stubbon nuts and bolts....

Bulls Crack 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar:
> That's a shame. It was a nice colour.
> I must admit, I had a dip in there a few years ago on my first visit to harpur hill. No signs were in place at all, we'd never heard it was toxic and other people were swimming in there.
>
> Nobody else on here gone in unknowingly?

No, but probably better than the climbing
 Timmd 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
>
> "It was absolutely beautiful..."?
>
> Blimey - easily pleased!

It did look quite other worldly and beautiful, I thought.
 Al Evans 12 Jun 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
> [...]
> I wonder if anyone has ever taken a fishing net down to the Lawrencefield pond to fish out what must be a pirates treasure of dropped climbing gear?

One summer the pool dried out and we were all frantically searching in the mud for swag, other than a few partially corroded pitons nothing useful was found.
In reply to Clauso:
>
> The pool at Lawrencefield is one of only 5 locations in the UK - the others being Brothers Water, Haweswater, Red Tarn and Ullswater in the Lakes - that harbours the schelly (Coregonus stigmaticus); a rare breed of freshwater whitefish. It was thought to have been transferred there by construction workers involved in building the dam at Haweswater.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schelly

I was up at Lyn Idwal on Saturday and I'm sure I saw some in the water there as well. Do you think they could have established themselves further afield or were they just up from Merseyside for the week-end?
Clauso 12 Jun 2013
In reply to colin struthers:

If it was in Llyn Idwal, and originating from Lancashire, then I suspect that you may have observed a Peat Schelly (Guitaricus buzzcockii).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...