UKC

Too much snow on TdMB - good MTB alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jock 12 Jun 2013
Well, the plan to spend 5 days riding the TMB next week isn't looking too good, with snow down to 1800 - any good suggestions for long days out or hut to hut rides in the Cham/Courmayeur area?
Bob kate bob 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Jock: I like going around the PdS, I know a fortnight ago there was still a lot of snow though.

Have a look at these guides http://librairie.vtopo.fr/ You can usually pick up the relavent ones for the area you are in in most outdoor shops (including Deacthalon).
OP Jock 12 Jun 2013
Thanks BkB, I'll check out those Vtopos. Portes du Soliel is our back up plan - we'd like to try & patch together some longer hut to hut xc routes away from the lifts if we can.
 gdp 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Jock:
Hi Jock, I live in Chamonix and have ridden the TdMB...
The snow level is rising, but it's still sitting at just a bit over 2000m and some of the accumulations are going to take a long time to shift. I'd consider heading further south, Finale/Provence sort of way, if you want to link up stuff with big days and not worry about the snow, it's just not really possible here right now.
Saying that, the lifts open in CHX at the weekend so you could just stay in a hostel and have a weeks riding here from the lifts and through in Courmayeur under your own steam. Versant Sud do a very good MTB guide to the Aosta Valley which you can pick up locally. The Chamonix Bike Book is now in it's second edition and has lots of good rides for the CHX valley. And if you want more inspiration, I've got a bike blog, complete with a write up of the TdMB...http://chamonixbikeblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/tour-du-mont-blanc-day-1/
OP Jock 12 Jun 2013
In reply to gdp:
Great advice gdp, much appreciated. Love the write up on your blog; I was disappointed the TdMB was going to be a no-go before, now I'm really gutted! Looks like there's lots to go at around CHX and Aosta - I'll peruse more of your blog for inspiration, ta.
Can you recommend any particular bike shops in Cham or Courmayeur for friendly local info?
 gdp 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Jock:
Well, if you're looking to hire a shiny Nukeproof,fix your bike for free in the workshop, or just have a general chit chat about where to ride, then the new Chamonix Bike Rental ( http://www.chamonixbikerental.com/ ) just round from the Midi in Chamsud is your best bet! (I may be friends with the folks who are running it...) Failing that Legends CHX and ZeroG (employer of Tom, author of both the Chamonix Bike Books) are both in town and Sport Spirit down in Les Houches is pretty good too.
Courmayeur I'm not so good on as I just go through the tunnel then come back the same day, I'm not even sure if there is a bike shop there.
aligibb 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Jock:

Hi Jock,

The lifts will only be open on the weekends here in the Portes du Soleil so you could x country your way around it. maybe not where the lifts are but slightly lower. For example there are a number of refuges in the Abondance valley such as refuge de Bise, and Ubine.

Pays de Gavot which is the area between lake Geneva and the mountains (a thin strip) is clear of snow and great terrain. Or have you looked at the Jura?

I am based in Morzine but have only just moved here from the Chatel side - PM if you want some more info.

Ali

Ali
OP Jock 12 Jun 2013
Thanks folks, all good food for thought - appreciate your tips.
Jock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...