UKC

Book of Eli

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 14 Jun 2013
This is one of my favourate films. I have a question though.

Was Eli blind?
 goose299 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
yes. doesn't it show that really obviously at the end?
 cuppatea 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Yes but he had the hearing of a bat.
OP Blizzard 14 Jun 2013
In reply to goose299:

It may have been obvious at the end, but throughout the whole film he didnt act like a blind man. Very far fetched.
 goose299 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
Watch it again. There were loads of subtle hints to it
ice.solo 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

90% silly arty garbage, 10% inspired greatness i thought.

Blind? Wasnt that the entire crux of the narrative?
 WILLS 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard: was he blind or hasn't he found specsavers since he broke his last pair of glasses.
Seriously though he must have been blind. Solaris offers herself to you and you refuse! You have to be blind!
 The Lemming 15 Jun 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> Yes but he had the hearing of a bat.

And cat-like reflexes when killing cats with a bow and arrow. The cat must have had a bell on its collar to give its location away.
 xplorer 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Yes.

I may be mistaken. But wasn't Eli in the bible blind?
 Ridge 15 Jun 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to cuppatea)
> [...]
>
> And cat-like reflexes when killing cats with a bow and arrow. The cat must have had a bell on its collar to give its location away.

Didn't he keep making dolphinesque clicking noises prior to shooting down vultures or slicing up baddies?
OP Blizzard 22 Jun 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Aye being blind was the entire crux of the narrative indeed. When I saw it the first time, thats what hit me, but having watched it 3 times now, despite a brillant script its simply so overstretched in terms of credibility. How does a blind man fight like that? Hence my reason for questioning his blindness on my second viewing.

It is a very inspiring original film tho.I remember being very impressed when I saw it on release at the cinema.
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

the blind fighting thing is just an accepted part of the whole 'oooh ahhh ness', like whats in lots of kungfu films and allusions to the biblical stuff.

i thought the twist about the book being in braille was quite cool, but honestly, the rest of the film i thought was unoriginal - to the point of distraction. every little thing in it seemed to be lifted cliches from some other cult classic ranging from mad max to eraserhead. interesting story but uninterestingly told i thought.

script, agree there tho, the main narrative was engaging (tho i thought the secondary stuff was cliched spagetti western).

maybe im too cynical and should have just watched it, instead i missed the good elements by nit-picking. worth a second watch as you say.
 aln 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
> ( How does a blind man fight like that?

Daredevil.
 kevin stephens 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
I got bored after the girl escaped from the truck, returned to the shot up house to look for the shot hero and caught up with him walking the road West.

I guess the baddies only got the cover of the bible stuffed with some old phone directory instead and the hero made off with the contents?

What happened next?
 xplorer 23 Jun 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

The bible was Braille, he had read and remembered the full bible. He died......
 kevin stephens 23 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
Thanks, glad I bailed when I did; crap film
 Blue Straggler 24 Jun 2013
In reply to aln:
Blind Fury!
 aln 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to aln)
> Blind Fury!

Based on the 17th!!!! Zatoichi film. That's a lot of sequels.
 brokenbanjo 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Only good thing was the admission that the religion is a method of controlling people. Apart from that, pretty grim.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...