UKC

Goodbye to Richard's bike book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 14 Jun 2013
Seems that Richard Ballantine of 'Richard's Bike Book' fame has died, Maybe some of the youngsters don't remember this book but for many cyclists in the 70 & 80s it was our bible

"Sex," as one interviewer asserted, "had Dr Alex Comfort. Cycling had Richard Ballantine."

RIP, if there's a heaven, I'm sure he'll be cycling around

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/07/richard-grant
 Duncan Bourne 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Doug:
Very sad.
I still have his book on my shelf it is a classic
 More-On 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> (In reply to Doug)
> Very sad.
> I still have his book on my shelf it is a classic

Indeed and it is. Worth a read by anyone even remotely interested in two wheeled transport.
 Nevis-the-cat 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Doug:

Indeed - i was bought a copy as a kid and then got three paper rounds to pay for all tyhe bike bits I needed.
It had pride of place on my desk, next to the Parkers price list and my jar of bike pennies.

He had a strange obsession with Stevenage
 cousin nick 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Doug:

Yes, I still have my paperback copy, complete with black, grease stained pages. IIRC there was a short section on defending yourself from, and ultimately killing, a dog!!
Classic.
RIP Richard.

N
 MG 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> He had a strange obsession with Stevenage

It's a great book and definitely quirky. I remember a section stating that drivers of certain cars had small penises. Also somewhere the front a reprint of an article where a cyclist cycles along a bridge parapet.
 John2 14 Jun 2013
In reply to cousin nick: That's right. You administered the coup de grace by stuffing your cycle pump down its throat.
 More-On 14 Jun 2013
In reply to John2: Or kicking it in the ribs...
Removed User 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
> (In reply to Doug)
>
> It had pride of place on my desk, next to the Parkers price list and my jar of bike pennies.

Likewise, except my cycling equivalent of the Freeman's underwear section was the Freewheel catalogue.
 Bloodfire 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Doug: amazing. Only a few hours ago I was just describing the various graphic ways of killing a dog as mentioned by the great Mr Ballantyne... What a legend!

His description of car drivers is no better!
 Horse 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Doug:

Sad news.

If I look across the kitchen to the bookshelf I can see a copy on the bottom shelf.
 David Alcock 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Doug: I had that. Taught me how to take it all to bits and better still, put it back together again. RIP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...