UKC

Risk assessment: slacklining

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hallidak 16 Jun 2013
Hi, I found a very similar post a while back, but couldn't reply as it was archived. So I apologise now if this is repeating things, I hope it doesn't annoy anyone too much!

I am going to be leading a camp (voluntary, not paid) of 16-25 year olds, and was wanting to use my slackline as an evening activity. I was wondering whether
1.doing a risk assessment, and
2. getting signatures [either their own, or parents if under 18] stating they are aware of the risks (and are responsible themselves for their participation)
would cover my back in terms of potential injuries and claims. I think it's a great activity and would really love to be able to do it, but can't quite figure out if it is worth it. The previous post was in reference to primary school kids, so was hoping someone would have similar experiences with 16's and older, and have any advice to offer to me?

Thankyou
 Cameron94 17 Jun 2013
In reply to hallidak: Making a participation statement and asking them to sign it just shows that they are aware of the risks, it doesn't effect their rights regarding taking you to court.

This is my understanding of it but someone will come along that has more knowledge on the subject.
 deepsoup 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to hallidak) Making a participation statement and asking them to sign it just shows that they are aware of the risks, it doesn't effect their rights regarding taking you to court.

That it doesn't. But for risks that are part of the activity (ie: not brought about by someone's negligence etc..), if they understood those risks they're not going to be successful in suing for compo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volenti_non_fit_injuria
In reply to deepsoup:

What sort of camp is it....? IS it one where the parents (primarily) are expecting the young people will be taking part in adventurous type activities. If that is the case then they will have already signed a form saying they give their permission for their child to take part in these activities and slacklining... if an activity ok'd by the camp organisers would fit this bill.

If it is a camp where they are making music and sticking leaves on a collage you may need a permission form.

Which ever a RA is definitely required.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...