UKC

How to clean a compass that did battle with boiled sweets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bit of a bizarre one... I foolishly stored my compass in a ziplock bag with some emergency boiled sweets. Over time these sweets disintegrated, turning my compass into a hideous, sticky mess. I have tried scrubbing, soaking overnight in Fairy liquid and repeated washes, but the compass plastic remains very sticky and translucent rather than transparent, and the string is very rigid.

String can be replaced, but does anyone have any suggestions for salvaging the main part of the compass without stripping any of the markings/glow in the dark stuff from it?
 SteveoS 17 Jun 2013
In reply to Pink Marshmallow:

Freeze it off or Melt it off?

Also try a solvent like nail varnish remover?
 aln 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Pink Marshmallow: Buy a new compass.
woody0606 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Pink Marshmallow: Lakeland sell something called 'Sticky Stuff Remover', might be worth a go.
Alchemist 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Pink Marshmallow: you could try dissolving it in an ethereal solution such as a strong whisky, vodka or methaol if you have any. glucose is known to have good solubility in these solvents.
 marsbar 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Pink Marshmallow: Stupid question maybe, but before you try any nasty chemicals, did you use really hot water?
Hot water may do it. Don't use nail polish remover, acetone will melt the plastic.
 cuppatea 18 Jun 2013

I was thinking of a strong solution of dishwasher chemicals, but that may well have an effect on the softer parts of the compass.
 James Malloch 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Pink Marshmallow: Suck/lick it?
In reply to Pink Marshmallow: Put it in a box with some hungry ants.

How do you tell if an ant is hungry though?
Thank you all for the ideas! Now to try (some of) them out...

Moral of the story is definitely to eat any sweets left over from a day in the mountains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...