UKC

UKC App - it's time, surely?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich Preston 21 Jun 2013
I think we'd all agree (granted, we're biased...) that for climbing around Britain, UKC is one of - if not the - best resource available.

So are we overdue a UKC mobile app? It's not my area, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who've got the technical skills to be able to design one.

Personally, I'd love to have the info at my fingertips when out and about. And it'd be great to be able to add climbs to your logbook as and when you do them, rather than tick them all off when you get back that evening or at the end of a weeks trip.

I use RunKeeper for running and biking - it has a button to add a photo once you click that you've finished a run, before saving it to your profile. That'd be awesome too. Could all integrate very nicely.

It's something I'd happily pay a couple of quid for!

Any thoughts?
In reply to Rich Preston:

Hi Rich

We are working on an App that links Logbooks and Rockfax guidebooks. It is a huge project though which we need to get right so it is taking time. We hope to release it this year - Android and iOS.

After that we intend to produce something else for UKC content although we haven't put much planning into that as yet.

Alan
 Milesy 21 Jun 2013
When I get away climbing I want to be away from the computers and technology that make up the rest of my life. I am happy to deal with it afterwards, and most mobile phones have advanced enough browsers you can get on the regular site with a little zooming and scrolling anyway.
 pebbles 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy: the logbooks dont work well on android mobiles though - the 'select climb from dropdown' function which is clunky at the best of times is next to impossible on mobile
 Kimono 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Rich Preston:
Just to save everyone a lot of time and bother reading and posting on this thread I sha just summarise the 2 schools of thought on this and then we can just close the thread ok?!

1) a UKC app would be great for viewing the site on a mobile device, making it much easier to browse and read without the need to keep scrolling in and out.
Lets do it please!
2) why do we need an app or indeed change of any type at all. UKC has worked fine for the last 326 years just as it is and there's no need to change anything.
In fact I would prefer it if we could eschew modern technology altogether and just post out printed copies of the forum.

You can maybe guess where my sympathies lie
OP Rich Preston 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks for that, Alan! Sounds great - I'm looking forward to it.

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...