UKC

Middle aged men shouldn't......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 22 Jun 2013

...do triathlons

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-20/men-over-40-should-think-twice-bef...

Put it in the cycling forum but could easily be in the running one.

Some interesting points raised.
 dale1968 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: He was not fit it took him nearly four hours to do an oly triathlon! he obviously was not fit enough to compete and was not doing the training...
 Graham Mck 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: .....take too many of these, especially once they are cheaper

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22990247
 nniff 22 Jun 2013
 JamButty 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: sorry am I missing something, the main character Mr McClintock died over 6 months after doing a tri. In addition he's a senior MD so that can't be a stressful job can it!

tenuous link to say the least.

Not that I'm worried I'm 44 next month and do these silly things as well. The swims the easy bit

Brass Nipples 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Unfit people shouldn't do 5k runs but millions do for charity.
 The New NickB 22 Jun 2013

What a lot of drivel, it even says in the article that there is no link. As others have said, the guy clearly wasn't fit, four hours is super slow even for a 55 year old.
 Frank4short 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: I think Kenny MF Powers put it best youtube.com/watch?v=Ns6YSvCsVJM&
 Enty 22 Jun 2013

Do you know Jethro who uses UKC quite a bit? Great photographer?

His dad Roger just won the European Tri Championships - in the Age 70-74 age group!!!

E
Removed User 22 Jun 2013

As someone who is 49 and just about to do a Tri, I clearly don't agree with the article's main point but I found that some of the issues raised such as the 20 mile limit per week for running etc. to be interesting points for discussion. I run at least 20 miles per week in addition to cycling and swimming.
 alasdair19 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: overtake me on climbs despite having a bigger belly....
 Chris the Tall 22 Jun 2013
Yep, once you are over 40 it's time for slippers and golf, far too risky to do any exercise
 Nutkey 23 Jun 2013
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> As someone who is 49 and just about to do a Tri, I clearly don't agree with the article's main point but I found that some of the issues raised such as the 20 mile limit per week for running etc. to be interesting points for discussion. I run at least 20 miles per week in addition to cycling and swimming.

Approaching 40, about to do a Tri sometime soon (though it'll be in a pool, still learning to swim), and while I don't usually run >20 miles in a session anymore, I still race on limited training (I'm unclear from the article whether that's supposed to be better or worse).

The bit about the guy not being fit is irrelevant, and those who pick on that to discount the article are kidding themselves that they'd give the article any credence if the guy was fit. If the article had bulletproof evidence, and said that if you ran >21 miles next week, you were guaranteed to die in six months, would you stop running?

Hell no. Neither would I. It's just an article in a paper, and I ENJOY RUNNING.
 Brass Nipples 23 Jun 2013

Take underage schoolgirls out of the country
 the power 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: got to die of something
Antigua 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> Unfit people shouldn't do 5k runs but millions do for charity.

Last charity 5k I saw most people were walking or at least 'running' as fast as most people walk.

dale1968 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Antigua: that's what I see, people walking slowly and those pretending to run, I have took the dog out for faster walks..
 GrahamD 24 Jun 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

> What a lot of drivel, it even says in the article that there is no link. As others have said, the guy clearly wasn't fit, four hours is super slow even for a 55 year old.

I think it depends on your definition of 'fit' and 'super slow'. Four hours doesn't look 'super slow' to me.

Henry Iddon 24 Jun 2013

One thing people should be aware of in their 40's is the increase in possible heart arrhythmias - particularly effecting those who have done a huge amount of endurance sports in the past and still maintain a high level of fitness.

Its touched on in the paragraph about 'Heart Tears'.

Conditions such as Artial Fibrillation.

http://www.atrialfibrillation.org.uk

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/4/371.2.abstract

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=108859...

I know - I've got it, have had one ablation and am waiting on another.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...