UKC

Top (sensible) posters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Graham 23 Jun 2013
I think its time to encourage sensible considered posts.

Lets start a list of the top (sensible) 40 posters.

Off the top of my head to kick off with a few.

Gridnorth
Dave Kerr
Paul Mitchell
Alan James ?
jon
Offwidth
Al Randall
Neil Foster
 Run_Ross_Run 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
I notice that Rich Grahams name is not on ur list.
OP Rick Graham 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
That is not for me to say.
I have to confess though to occassional mischieviousness.
 Puppythedog 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I sense some mischievousness currently and mirroring some that i have seen from you on a different post about grades and grit
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) I sense some mischievousness currently and mirroring some that i have seen from you on a different post about grades and grit

Really? Refresh my memory.

Back on thread. Straight as a die.
 aln 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: ice.solo
In reply to Rick Graham: It's nice to be appreciated Rick, thank you. I stopped posting on here, apart from selling a few items, because I got sick of the abuse especially from people who did not read what I had posted and then went on to misrepresent what I had said.
 Puppythedog 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: I'm lucky enough to be able to get advice from you in person. A good source of advice as long as we avoid each other's politics
In reply to puppythedog: I know what you mean Karl. All the best Ghengis.
 Sharp 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
>...people who did not read what I had posted and then went on to misrepresent what I had said.

That would make a good banner for ukc sometimes! (or probably just forums in general...or life in general if you want to be pessimistic about it!)
 browndog33 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I nominate Tall Clare.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
jcm
> (In reply to Rick Graham) It's nice to be appreciated Rick, thank you. I stopped posting on here, apart from selling a few items, because I got sick of the abuse especially from people who did not read what I had posted and then went on to misrepresent what I had said.

Hi Al,

I get the impression sometimes that folk do not take the time to read posts properly and carefully.

It must be a generation thing.

regards Rick
 jon 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Sensible.... I suddenly feel very old.
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Rick Graham)
>
> Sensible.... I suddenly feel very old.

Not as old as I felt at Kilnsey the other year, surely?
 jon 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

No. Of course not.
 Bacon Butty 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

You've missed off the No. 1 guy...
Luca Signorelli!!!
 Skyfall 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

> Luca Signorelli!!!

Good call
 deepsoup 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
Maybe there should be an annual David Hooper memorial prize for good humoured sound advice. (Especially when offered to people who're probably either trolling or complete numpties.)

You missed John Arran off your list.
In reply to Rick Graham: Tall Clare and TobyA
 GridNorth 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I would agree about Luca although his advice tends to be alpine focused. You should be there as well although you can be mischievous at times.
An update of all the nominations so far.
>
> Gridnorth
> Dave Kerr
> Paul Mitchell
> Alan James
> jon
> Offwidth
> Al Randall
> Neil Foster

Rick Graham
ice solo
jcm
john arran
Tall Clare
Toby A
Luca Signorelli

David Hooper memorial prize
PopShot 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I would have thought that Postmanpat was up there.
 nw 23 Jun 2013
> jcm

Sensible? You high?
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

What am I doing on that list? All I do is make inane points based on little except a love of furry animals and mildly pretentious books.
 Tony the Blade 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

I'd like to nominate CurlyStevo and Andy Nisbet if I may. Always come up trumps whenever I need Scottish climbing/walking tips.

DaveHK 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thank you sir.

You obviously didn't see the thread that got pulled recently and earned me a bollocking from the mods!
 tom.e 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: Jon Stewart
 bluebealach 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: Off-Duty He may not give you the answers you want, but the accuracy of his posts are usually pretty much spot on!!
 Jon Stewart 23 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) I would have thought that Postmanpat was up there.

I'm actually going to agree with you. The Postman and I do not see eye to eye on political matters, but I always really enjoy the discussion.
In reply to Rick Graham: I think that nominees should be restricted to posts about climbing. See what I did there, submitted yet another sensible post.
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2013

Exactly. <excuses self>
 Dervey 23 Jun 2013
In reply to bluebealach: I'd agree with that. Offduty seems to have the ability to cut through swathes of irrelevant and useless information to get to the heart of an issue.
 MJ 23 Jun 2013

I think that nominees should be restricted to posts about climbing. See what I did there, submitted yet another sensible post.

That means, that anyone who posts on this thread will be automatically excluded.
 bluebealach 23 Jun 2013
> (In reply to Rick Graham) I think that nominees should be restricted to posts about climbing. See what I did there, submitted yet another sensible post.

Sensible?? Did I miss something when although it is UK 'Climbing', it has several different thread topics......cycling, photography skiing culture ect.....

Al, sorry mate but one mark off for a not so sensible post!!
 Jon Stewart 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Dervey:
> Offduty seems to have the ability to cut through swathes of irrelevant and useless information to get to the heart of an issue.

I agree.

On climbing-related matters, Johnny2vests knows his ludicrous Brimham HVS sandbags from his sea-cliff E-grade romps.

Bull's Crack is also one of the least likely people on here to recommend to a visiting American that they spend their holiday in Horseshoe Quarry, for which he should be applauded.
 xplorer 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

What a wonderfully diverse list you have there.......

Quite frankly I'm surprised I'm not at number one
 Rob Parsons 23 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Yep. I'm nominating xplorer.
In reply to bluebealach: I know but I don't really care about other topics. If I felt that I had something useful to contribute to say the state of the Labour Party or the economy or religion or cycling I would dive in but my experience is limited to climbing and anyway other forums dedicated to those particular topics deal with them much better than UKC. Except of course when I can't help myself and "bite"
 xplorer 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thanks for getting the ball rolling

There'll be coming out of the woodwork soon........
In reply to xplorer:
>
> What a wonderfully diverse list you have there.......
>
> Quite frankly I'm surprised I'm not at number one

You might be number one in the other list.
 The Ivanator 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: The Ex-Engineer knows his stuff and would be my nomination.
 Mick Ward 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

> David Hooper memorial prize

This for wisdom, humanity and general good humour. David had acute reservations about this place at its worst. But at its best (e.g. Barry Brewster thread)...

> Luca Signorelli

I pondered a particular (Alpine) question for over 40 years. There were only two people who could have answered it - and only one who could have been guaranteed to give a truthful answer. I dallied too long and both died of old age. Gave up. Emailed Luca. Comprehensive answer in 10 minutes! (Because he had asked the question of the right person.) And a most surprising - and humane - coda to the answer.

Agree with the above on the list. I suppose my own list would be the people on here with whom I'd most liked to have climbed:

Norrie.
Sloper.
Jon.
Enty.

Chris Craggs never fails to give sound advice. Brian A - a stunning canon of climbing related images and a remarkable person. Tall Clare never fails to add to the gaiety of nations.

Mick

PopShot 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I would currently place Sam In Leeds in the top 5.
 bouldery bits 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

IainRUK
 xplorer 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Pretty predictable choice, I actually laughed to myself when seeing the list.

You and you're not so merry men I see.

You're a funny bunch
 xplorer 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

jcm

He certainly needs eradicating from that list you have.

I get the idea you're letting age decide who's "sensible"

The only sensible UKCer isn't a UKCer
 The Pylon King 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
> I think its time to encourage sensible considered posts.
>
> Lets start a list of the top (sensible) 40 posters.
>
> Off the top of my head to kick off with a few.
>
> Gridnorth
> Dave Kerr
> Paul Mitchell
> Alan James ?
> jon
> Offwidth
> Al Randall
> Neil Foster

How Boring
In reply to xplorer:
>
> jcm
>
> He certainly needs eradicating from that list you have.
>
> I get the idea you're letting age decide who's "sensible"
>
> The only sensible UKCer isn't a UKCer

If you look at the original post, it only contains eight names to kick things off.

All the rest have been contributed by others.
Removed User 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

In no particular order:

Eric 9points
Jim Fraser
Jon Stewart
Ice Solo
The New NickB
Sutty (yes, I know...)
Douglas Griffin
Gordon Stainforth
Alyson
Mooncat
Slugain Howff
Tall Clare
Mick Ward
Postman Pat (yes!)
Bruce Hooker (also yes!)
Drunken Monkey
JKarran
for starters
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

woohoo! a vote for ice.solo is a vote for fun! japanese cheerleaders in every home!
 nw 23 Jun 2013
In reply to ice.solo: what no cosplay maids?!
ice.solo 23 Jun 2013
In reply to nw:

For card carrying members, yes.

Vote 1, the AKB48 party.
 SteveOc 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

birdie num num seems like a sensible chap.
 Puppythedog 23 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer: does that chip on your shoulder throw you off balance when you climb? I've seen a few of your posts but held off until now. You seem to think a lot of your opinion and have several excuses for why others do not.
needvert 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Dunno if sensible is the right word for them but rgold and ice.solo I trust to not be full of shit on climbing matters.
 aln 24 Jun 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> woohoo! a vote for ice.solo is a vote for fun! japanese cheerleaders in every home!

That's why I nominated you! And I like your realistic and sensible attitude towards psychedelics.
 xplorer 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

You are deluded, you would have to be an idiot not to see the trend.

Get off that very small pedestal you're sat on
 Jonny2vests 24 Jun 2013
In reply to The Ivanator:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) The Ex-Engineer knows his stuff and would be my nomination.

He does know his stuff, but he's a bit of a robot

Rgold is practically a climbing forum legend, he really is just always right and is superbly articulate. Take for example his reply to the idiotic 'bolts in the UK, why not?' Thread;

As an American, I have tremendous respect for the UK's ability to control bolting. To quote Royal Robbins, "sport climbing is the child who wants to eat its mother," and the only way to preserve the full spectrum of climbing genres is maintain a very bright line between sport and trad, with trad, at the moment and into the foreseeable future, being in the position of an endangered species.

The presence of risk and the way in which it is confronted lies at the heart of what is now referred to as traditional climbing. Sport climbing has banished risk, at least the forms of risk inherent in trad climbing, in favor of other aspects of climbing, and as the sport climbing mentality spreads, it becomes increasingly difficult to even communicate about the distinctions between the genres, not least because of the irrelevant formulations such as bolts vs. gear.

Consider a trad climb with a risky section. It's been done many times, but now there is a contingent of climbers who want to put a bolt there. Why? Because that part of the climb is risky! More people could enjoy it if there was a bolt, and the community has a "right" to the route. But the risk is exactly why the trad climbers don't want the bolt there. Trad climbers see controlling the risk through the use of gear that may not be bomber and the practice of self-control under pressure as one of the intrinsic challenges of the sport.

Putting in that bolt destroys part of the essence of the climb for the trad climber. People may not like this and may not agree with it, but they should at least understand that there is a genuine and irreconcilable conflict between the preservation of risk and the desire for a risk-free environment.

Saying that risk is intrinsic to trad climbing does not mean that trad climbers want arbitrary risks. Trad climbing isn't a collection of stunts like how many cars you can jump your motorcycle over. The risks of trad climbing are the ones intrinsic to the environment: unknown territory ahead, no cracks for pro, and on granite slabs, no stances to drill from. This is why those who say "just don't clip the bolt" are utterly clueless. The bolt modifies the environment and makes a former intrinsic risk into a stupid stunt.

I grew up in a time when all climbing was trad climbing. I have nothing against sport climbing, and because of the decreased risk I find it increasingly attractive as I get older and more brittle. But I also would have found the sheer pursuit of difficulty in sport climbing compelling when I was young, strong, and less likely to snap on impact. I just wish the the practitioners of the two genres would learn to respect the traditions of each (yes, sport climbing is now old enough to have traditions too) and not try to impose their perspectives and preferences on the other styles of climbing. So far, I think the UK is the only country that seem to have managed to do this, and I would urge you in the strongest possible terms to continue to resist drilled "improvements" to trad climbs.
 The New NickB 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Nice to be on your list, I am not sure I would make my own list
 moac 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: What really annoys me about many posts, is how quick people turn to abuse to argue their point. It's pathetic. Sometimes people put up a topic or question and then the idiot's come in and start being rude, name calling and being incredibly patronising. If they don't like a particular post why reply? It would be interesting to see these "idiots" speak to people face to face like they do on this site - they'd have a well buckled nose probably. It occurs so frequently as well, there are some really arrogant and conceited "boofheads" out there, and it brings down the whole tone of the site.
 rallymania 24 Jun 2013
In reply to moac:
>It would be interesting to see these "idiots" speak to people face to face like they do on this site - they'd have a well buckled nose probably.

a well known phenomena, apparently

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/stephen-forgets-that-he-i...
 moac 24 Jun 2013
In reply to rallymania: Nice one, proves the point well
 The Ivanator 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to The Ivanator)

> He does know his stuff, but he's a bit of a robot

Well the robot has a heart - I've not met him in person (although I know people who have), but when I posted about getting hold of cheap kids climbing gear to take a friends daughter outside for the first time, he not only offered good tips, but also sent me an old pair of suitably sized shoes totally free of charge.
 Jonny2vests 24 Jun 2013
In reply to The Ivanator:

Wow, good man.
 Mick Ward 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

"But wait, there's more!"

Steve Blake

Gordon Stainforth

Birdie Num Num

There's variety for you...

Would prefer 'worthwhile', rather than 'sensible'. But you've got to start somewhere.

Mick

jon 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Excellent Rob, sharp as a tennis ball this morning!
 Jon Stewart 24 Jun 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Excellent Rob ["I think Left Wall is E3 and therefore I'm absolutely nowhere near qualifying for the list"], sharp as a tennis ball this morning!
 Mike Highbury 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
>
> Lets start a list of the top (sensible) 40 posters.... and what follows

Christ, this is all rather obvious but there's a club that one would never wish to be a member of.

andic 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Anyone on the top 40 list must post too much drivel to qualify for this auspicious roll.
 wilkie14c 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
Mike Lates & Gordon Stainforth for anything Skye related
Mick Ward / Chris Craggs for anything Peak
Dominion for anything computer <SW> DOS, Linux, network etc
Enty for anything French or big wall

Everyone has something really
 Skyfall 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Carolyn for climbing avec bump or small children in tow, and general Lakes related info.
In reply to moac:

>What really annoys me about many posts, is how quick people turn to abuse to argue their point. It's pathetic. Sometimes people put up a topic or question and then the idiot's come in and start being rude, name calling and being incredibly patronising

I love this post. I can't work out whether the poster is making his point with subtle humour, or a total berk who can't see that he is doing the very thing he deplores.

Those are the best kind. Like my favourite post ever, along the lines of 'There are loads of famous black climbers. Look at Kenton Cool'. About ten years on I still occasionally wonder about that one.

jcm
 Enty 24 Jun 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I've only done half a dozen walls in my life. Maybe I should shut op about them

E
 wilkie14c 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Enty: thats appro 6 more than a lot of us here!
 moac 24 Jun 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Mine was a general comment about how some people respond on this site, you are already being specific about me and making value judegements and you've proved my point by taking the tone you have about my post.
 moac 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: You've proved my point perfectly Robert, thanks mate.
In reply to moac:

Ach, c'mon, don't spoil it. It'd be sad to see that delicate ambiguity being resolved in favour of 'total berk'.

jcm
 Fraser 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

My votes would be, in no particular order:

Mick Ryan
jon
Off Duty (remarkable restrain shown at times - no pun intended - and for his measured explanations given)
Tall Clare (most sensible, mannered person on the forums?)
Toby A
ice.Solo
Robert Durran (for his simultaneous ability to wind-up and be wound up)

There are no doubt many others I've forgotten, but this can be my starter list.
 TobyA 24 Jun 2013
In reply to moac:
> You've proved my point perfectly Robert, thanks mate.

Is this like double bluff irony? Or do you simply not get it? Gosh, I'm confused now...
 moac 24 Jun 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to moac)
>
> Ach, c'mon, don't spoil it. It'd be sad to see that delicate ambiguity being resolved in favour of 'total berk'.
>
> jcm

You decide JCM, but you're still proving my point. I repeat my comments were general while yours are specific, if you can't see the point I'm making, then I can't help you.
 moac 24 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to moac)
> [...]
>
> Is this like double bluff irony? Or do you simply not get it? Gosh, I'm confused now...

Go back to my original post if you think it would help, decide what you think and that might help solve your confusion. Good luck with it.

TobyA 24 Jun 2013
In reply to moac: In which case Robert didn't prove your point, he made a joke, which, if you had a sense of humour, might have provoked a little titter, rather than some more grumpy posting.
 Dervey 24 Jun 2013
In reply to bluebealach: I'd agree with that. Offduty seems to have the ability to cut through swathes of irrelevant and useless information to get to the heart of an issue.
Tim Chappell 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

I'd like to nominate myself, and all my mates. We're all jolly sensible! And the rest of you are a teeny bit silly!
 moac 25 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA: I think if you read my postings on this you'll see I'm not being grumpy at all. I do have a sense of humour by the way, but not in this particular context. My point is serious I've seen many times people turn on others and be rude or patronising, and it can spoil good topics. If they can't argue their point without resorting to this level of response, maybe they should go on other sites or curb their tone. I like comedy and comedians and irony being used for laughs. Reading back on these posts, I'm reminded of when Bob Monkhouse was talking about himself and he said, "They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian, well they're not laughing now" A big key to comedy in my experience is context. Hence, I stick with my original satement and repeat, some responses have proved my point.
 Bobling 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

ice.solo for president (and his backing group of cheerleaders/cosplay maids).
 Gudrun 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Good thread!
One of my nominations would include the family duo of Potshop or is it pisspot? and his Dad PostmanPat,they're presence always carefully reminds us of how our sensibilities could end up if devoid of any shred of humanity,wisdom and compassion.
Secondly another strong vote for TobyA,who's ability to take facts and history then manipulate,lie and obfuscate to obscure the truth that doesn't match that of his beloved North Atlantic Terrorist Org. is a thing to behold,very sensibly done indeed.
Ah how could we forget the massive polyfiller potato waffle that is icesolo?who for him,sensibly chooses quantity over quality in his meandering,fuzzy,oop was that nearly a point?...oh no just some more airy- nonsense-again posts that are defo good filler matl.
Tall Clare,has thee most sensible and educational posts by far,especially when it comes to cat shit and something about should you go and cheer a relative when they are running about outside,so probably pips it.
ps.And if i seem like a bad loser that's because i bloody am!

3 Names 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Sloper is currently the most sensible poster.
 Postmanpat 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Gudrun:
>
> Good thread!
> One of my nominations would include the family duo of Potshop or is it pisspot? and his Dad PostmanPat,they're presence always carefully reminds us of how our sensibilities could end up if devoid of any shred of humanity,wisdom and compassion.
>
> ps.And if i seem like a bad loser that's because i bloody am!

Any connection between my views and those of popshot are figment of your imagination. I'm sure you'll understand if I don't take your pretensions as a moral arbiter very seriously. On second thoughts, you probably won't . Pip, pip xx
Removed User 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Gudrun: u

I suppose I would be accused of being a sexist pig if I said that I thought it might be that time of the month.
 Rubbishy 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:

I had a pint with him tonight

He's still a mental.
 Rubbishy 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Gudrun:

cogent
 Tall Clare 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Gudrun:

Um... in my defence I've already admitted that I tend to post vacuous shite.
 Postmanpat 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Gudrun)
>
> Um... in my defence I've already admitted that I tend to post vacuous shite.

No no, whatever it is it's very sensible !

Rubbishy 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Gudrun:

Tall Clare is our very own Beryl Reid

You're on thin ice Pogrom Pixie
 Tall Clare 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

I suddenly feel terribly, terribly old...
 Boogs 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Can I nominate the following ?

Blanchie ( great humour & banter )
Jim Fraser ( specific technical knowledge )
Birdie Num Num ( Comedy value )
Alyson ( for reason , rationality & wit )
Gordon Stainforth ( for wisdom and worldy views )
Mick Ward ( for experience & insight )
jon ( helpful )
Mick ( Michael ) Ryan ( UKC sensible , helpful & passionate about climbing )
ThinBob ( considerate & funny )

And a few that always entertained me were & are Fawksey , Ballsack , 8 Ace
can anyone tell me where the pirate or cap'n went ?

Must not forget Nevis the Cat & Rubbishy for the excellent humour & engaging clever replies . . .

Lots more of course but I believe most of the worthy peeps have been mentioned already .

TobyA 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Gudrun:

> Secondly another strong vote for TobyA,who's ability to take facts and history then manipulate,lie and obfuscate to obscure the truth that doesn't match that of his beloved North Atlantic Terrorist Org. is a thing to behold,very sensibly done indeed.

If I admit that it's all true and indeed I am a Mossad plant, put here to corrupt the mindS and pacify the revolutionary intentions of the UKC masses, would you please start using the effing SPACE BAR BETWEEN WORDS!?!?
Removed User 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Cheer up, at least he didn't canonise you by comparing you to Margaret Thatcher.

<runs for cover>
Jim C 25 Jun 2013
In reply to bluebealach:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) Off-Duty He may not give you the answers you want, but the accuracy of his posts are usually pretty much spot on!!

Another vote for Off-Duty, he reminds me of my BIL (retired Inpector)

I think Coel should get a mention on here( PopShot got one, Coel will feel igored )
Jim C 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Jim C: ignored
 Rubbishy 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Jim C:

Given Coel, our very own mad professor is probably in his cellar, awaiting a summer storm and trying to create life using the mildewed cadaver of Dave H, while fending off the lustful advances of his cripple backed assistant then I think "igored" is probably quite apt.
ice.solo 26 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA:

tobes, we promised not to mention mossad!

here ive been, manipulating these polls behind the scenes, bribing people with the promise of being fed grapes by 40 japanese cosplay maids if they vote for Party Solo, and now its exposed.

im going to have to talk to hilary about your job as secretary of propaganda, i mean, state affairs.

keep the lid on it. if only for the cheerleaders.
OP Rick Graham 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
>
This thread has started to run out of steam, so perhaps its time for a closing statement.
As you will notice from the unprecedated length of this post I have a bit of time spare today. I'm dog sitting (don't ask its a long story), stuck at home not allowed to work or play out climbing.
However, I'm feeling pretty good if stiff and aching. I redpointed my project yesterday. Yo.
Team OAP has had a bit of enthusiasm revived recently after the aspirant member summoned enough energy to break off a long descent a few hundred metres to discover unclimbed rock.
One beckoning crackline up an overhanging wall was to be my personal Gehenna.
Placing the gear or even linking moves at first was beyond us so I worked up to a redpoint. An on sight awaits.
After the weekend rain and with lower temperatures, conditions were perfect.
I stuck to my plan and the "flow" button stuck in the on position.
60 seconds later I was surprised to find myself above the difficulties and gasping for breath. I settled down and refocused so as not to fluff the upper section.
What a good sport this can be.

Back to the thread. Like 90% of posters I get pissed off with genuine enquiries degenerating to piffle. Stick to the Pub forum.

Both amateur and professional psychology assessors can have a field day evaluating the evidence available on line. I take pride in posting under my real name.

Right. Next job on the list. Got to send off my NHS age60 bowel cancer screening samples. Some genuine sh 1 t posting.

Regards to all (incl explorer)

Rick

jon 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
> This thread has started to run out of steam,

Degenerating...?

> I redpointed my project yesterday. Yo.

Brilliant! Isn't it exciting finding new crags. I've literally stumbled across several over here. I love it. New routing, that is. Totally exhausting. Get back home and collapse type exhaustion. My mother tells me from time to time 'You're old enough to know better.' NEVER!
 Steve Clegg 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
>
> Right. Next job on the list. Got to send off my NHS age60 bowel cancer screening samples. Some genuine sh 1 t posting.
>
Now you're 'of an age' you might need some help from Jenny! Or Bob for that matter!!
Good luck, Steve
 Mick Ward 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Good effort on nailing your project! (As the young say...)

> Right. Next job on the list. Got to send off my NHS age60 bowel cancer screening samples. Some genuine sh 1 t posting.

Am a mere six months late (so far) in sending off mine. Given poor David Hooper's agonies, I guess all of us of a certain age should pop some pooh in the post.

Mick
 JClimb 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I have only just started using ukclimbing. Reading some of the posts on here, I am amazed at the frequency of "bitchy" comments - especially considering the, I assume, majority male constituent!
Out climbing, I have always found climbers tend to "stick together" and appear almost an unspoken team, always willing to chat and help out each other (well, often anyway), I was surprised at the number of the contradictory attitudes on here.
 Ava Adore 27 Jun 2013
In reply to JClimb:

I think the majority of bitchy boys are just that - boys. Seems to be a lot of angst-ridden teens on here.
 GrahamD 27 Jun 2013
In reply to JClimb:

Its not really surprising. The internet is a pretty blunt communication tool for getting across touchy feely stuff plus people are more likely to bother to post if they hold a contradictory viewpoint. Its not necessarily bitchiness.

You could choose to interpret this post as bitchy but it really isn't.
 moac 27 Jun 2013
In reply to JClimb: Know exactly what you mean mate!
 deepsoup 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> Seems to be a lot of angst-ridden teens on here.
Of all ages.
 Ava Adore 27 Jun 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

Good point
ice.solo 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

pretty much. theres lots of good points raised, but often in snotty, bitchy ways that make them pointless to interact with.

if i imagine a list of 10 sensible posters, almost all would be ladies with jkarren, luca and ianruk making up the gap.
 Kafoozalem 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Jim Titt - breaks with UKC tradition by supplying facts!
 Robert Durran 28 Jun 2013
In reply to moac:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) You've proved my point perfectly Robert, thanks mate.

Of dear, now that I have served my time and been unbanned, I can confirm that my intention was to humourously support your point by parodying the worst sort of thing you were refering to. Apologies for any inadvertent offence.

jon 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Banned?! You're a Sensible Poster.
 Robert Durran 28 Jun 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Banned?! You're a Sensible Poster.

But much misunderstood....

moac 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: I'm sorry too mate, someone else pointed it out that it was a joke and I can see it now. I over reacted, but no harm done and good luck with your other posts lol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...