UKC

Camping mat for around £40?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Duane 24 Jun 2013
Hi all,

Looking to get a camping mat, budget of around £40.

Its main use will be for a month-long road-trip this summer around Europe. While that would normally mean size/weight is not an issue, we’re doing it in a Mazda MX5, so it definitely is an issue! But on the flip-side, camping for 30+ nights means that I want something pretty comfy too.

I also plan to use it for hiking/camping trips once I return, so again, weight and size is important.

I was tempted by the Alpkit Aero 180, but at only 2.5cm thick, I’m not sure how comfy it will be? I’m used to carrying around a standard foam roll-mat, so don’t mind something a little bulkier than the Aero, within reason of course.

Any recommendations? I don’t mind buying used, so if you have anything you think I might be interested in, please post up.

Thanks, Duane.
Duane 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:
*Airo, not Aero of course.
 Fiona Reid 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:

My other half has one of these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultralight-6-tubes-self-inflatable-hiking-mattre...

and he seems to find it comfy enough for campsite and backpacking. It packs down pretty small too.
Duane 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks - sorry I should have said, I would like a self-inflating mat (don't mind if I have to put a few breathes in at the end).
 TobyA 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:

> Thanks - sorry I should have said, I would like a self-inflating mat (don't mind if I have to put a few breathes in at the end).

Oh, in which case don't get an Alpkit Numo which was going to be my first suggestion.

Can you not a get a basic Thermarest for around that price? The three quarter length ultralight ones pack down small and are still more comfy than any type of foam mat. My first one is now over 20 years old and still working fine.
 Carolyn 24 Jun 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Can you not a get a basic Thermarest for around that price? The three quarter length ultralight ones pack down small and are still more comfy than any type of foam mat. My first one is now over 20 years old and still working fine.

You'll certainly be able to pick one up off eBay for under £40 (nearer £20 if you look hard enough), I've replaced our ancient ones with Prolites that way over the last couple of months.
almost sane 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:
Another vote for the Alpkit Numo. Not tried mine in anger yet.

Alternatively, get a simple blow up mattress for under a tender, and a closed cell foam mat to put on top for insulation if you need it.
 Owen W-G 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:

I got a wicked inflatable one in Katmandu. It's huge when rolled up but £30, comfy and fits me as a 6 footer
 ayuplass 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:
I've got the alpkit dirtbsg which is much thicker, self inflating and a good compromise between comfort and size
 TobyA 24 Jun 2013
In reply to almost sane: My original Numo seemed to be loosing air although I couldn't find an obvious leak, but I noticed at the same time the internal insulation was pulling away from one side and therefore collapsing uselessly. Alpkit replaced it for me in their normal very customer friendly style and I've used the new one a number of times with no probs so far, but I'm not convinced yet they're as tough as thermarests.
 climber david 24 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:

I had a vango one which was 2.5cm thick. It lasted a couple of years before developing a leak. I then replaced it with a proper thermarest and despite being the same thickness, the proper thermarest was much comfier so worth bearing in mind when you pick a manufacturer

Cant comment on the alpkit ones so maybe look for reviews online

David
 abbotsmike 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane:

I've got the Airo 180. Very comfy, stayed warm enough in dartmoor at easter on it, sleeping bag is only designed for 0ºC, pretty certain it wasn't above zero very often!!

My previous mat was a foam thing too, and this is vastly more comfortable and packs down to under half the size of the foam too.
 Pwdr 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane: I have the Airo 180 and it's pretty comfy, no complaint for the 2 season camping I've done with it.

I'm thinking of getting the ME Helium 3.8 for colder weather, and would think it's probably a safer (comfier) bet, especially if you've got the car. Although space is a premium, look at the spec:

Alpkit (packed) - 28 x 13cm 653g
ME (packed) - 27 x 16cm 750g

Little extra size/weight when it's packed but quite a lot more padding when you're on top of it!
 Rob84 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane: I have a Theremarest Prolite 3 that I'm selling - your's for £40 including postage. I has one small repaired hole but is otherwise in perfect nick and also has an added clip in point from a big wall trip to stop me dropping it off a ledge. Drop me an email if interested.

Cheers,
Rob
 jezb1 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Duane: I would, unfortunately avoid Alpkit sleeping mats due to too many faults in the past - although their newer ones may be better.

Personally I use a Mountain Equipment Helium. I have the blue one and the thicker green one but always end up taking the green one for a bit more comfort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...