UKC

Is winter/ Alpine climbing the real Trad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j0ntyg 25 Jun 2013
Trad rock kit has evolved. We now have adhesive rock shoes,& many rock protection aids that are irrelevant on ice & snow. The old guys had none of those. I am thinking that it is not needed to advance the kit on ice & snow, all you will ever need are good axes, crampons and boots. We have them. So apart from personalised hand grips, what do we need? Our boots are OK. I'm not asking about clothes or tents or ropes etc.
So does that make Winter/ alpine climbing the new Trad?

You need an axe + crampons
 alooker 25 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: I call monopointing, grivel monster wielding troll. 2/10
 xplorer 25 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg:

You need a job......
 Milesy 25 Jun 2013
Modern light curved axes.
12+ points. Mono points.
Light ropes.
Modern ice screws.

Troll. None of the old winter climbers had this stuff either.
OP j0ntyg 25 Jun 2013
> Modern light curved axes.
> 12+ points. Mono points.
> Light ropes.
> Modern ice screws.
>
> Troll. None of the old winter climbers had this stuff either.

So, where does the silly word "troll" come into it?
Can you please define the difference between someone who posts hoping for many silly replies, to jam up the site i.e. a troll, & someone who has a genuine question to ask & is hoping for opinions?

OP j0ntyg 25 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg:
You also missed the point, new tools already have arrived, but do we need more?
> 12+ points. Mono points.
> Light ropes.
> Modern ice screws.

I'm saying that winter/alpine climbing is more "traditional" because there are few tools that can be improved.
 xplorer 25 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg:

You're thinking to hard about the word "traditional"
 Milesy 25 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg:

Winter climbing uses more equipment than rock climbing. Why are there few tools that can be improved? Everything in rock climbing except stickies and chalk is used in winter climbing. Axes and crampons are improving more than stickies are.
 alooker 26 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: bouldering is the new trad, then. Seems to be the slowest improvements are being made with chalk, rubber and foam. I jest, of course.

Don't worry about what style of climbing other people think is better than another, they're wasting their time talking about it (hang on a minute...)

Do the lot and enjoy learning all the different skills! In this country we can't wait on apparent seasons or weather so having at least something to go at year round is a huge bonus when you don't limit yourself to one/few forms of climbing.
 Bergvagabunden 26 Jun 2013
In reply to j0ntyg: interesting thoughts - have you ever tried climbing/mountaineering in/ with '30s gear ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...