UKC

Toprope soloing petzl microtraxion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wiley Coyote2 26 Jun 2013
Anyone any experience of using the petzl microtraxion for toprope soloing? The literature all says don't do it (surprise surprise) but their website explains how it can be used, albeit stressing this is a 'least dangerous' option rather than something they recommend or even condone. I can see it ought to work fine for a rest on the rope and even a gentle slump but what about a fall? To confuse matters further the shop tell me they sell quite a few for this very purpose.
Anyone got any hands on experience?
 alooker 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote: the red petzl traxion (is it the mini-trax?) works well for me, I do back it up most of the time in case the cam gets forced open but I'm not too worried about that to be honest.

I haven't used the micro, sorry, but they look similar in design?
 Tom F Harding 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

This is a good article about using two mini-traxions by Steph Davis.

http://www.highinfatuation.com/blog/rope-solo-system/
 Rick Graham 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Used it a lot. My preferred option to Basic Ascender and Shunt. Make sure you use the best shaped krab to attach.

I have heard of horror stories about the cheeks being almost ripped apart so follow the advice on the Petzl website.

Someone will soon mention this subject comes up every week on UKC.
needvert 27 Jun 2013
Haven't used mine much, but, I really like it. Much more than the minitrax. For a start it seems far harder to accidently lock the cam open.

Last time I had it out was working a route. In my amateur opinion all your falls should approximately be gentle slumps onto the rope. Just taking the stretch out of the rope and the microtrax biner orientation going from downwards to upwards.

Do what Petzl recommends though and have a backup. I managed to get my shirt stuck in it once while in a rush once. Come to think of it, I've gotten stuff stuck in ascenders camming mechanisms before that too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...