UKC

IRATA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 26 Jun 2013
Looking at doing my IRATA level 1. Heard lots of mixed reviews from; loads of work, loads of money and good fun. To, hard to find work, not enjoyable, hard to get into etc.

What are peoples' thoughts? Is it worth doing? Do you need a trade skill as well to make it worthwhile?
I'll be hoping to work part time with ML/SPA etc freelancing, and part time doing rope access work.
Is this a viable option?

Cheers for any feedback in advance.
 David Alcock 26 Jun 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: if you consider it as a mini-market that mirrors the wider market, then skills (non RA specific) are a definite advantage. Good luck and have fun!
 Dave 88 26 Jun 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
> Do you need a trade skill as well to make it worthwhile?

Basically, think of the ropes as your commute to work; once you get there, you've still got to able to do something. Painting, NDT, metal work etc.
 Rich W Parker 27 Jun 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
Hi,
a trade is really essential these days if you want to earn decent money. It is possible for L1s to get work on maintenance and installation type contracts, but the money is poor. CAN London (who are a nice bunch of blokes btw) pay L1s around £7-8 per hour.
The energy industry, in particular Oil and Gas offshore is where the money is at. Certifications are required though. For example: (roughly)

IRATA 1 - £700 inc VAT.
Offshore Survival and medical - £1000.
MIST ( Minimum Industry Safety Training) - £ 250.

Then the trade courses, which vary in duration, type and cost. To get set up to chase work in the North Sea, account for £3 - 4k including the above.

Typical trades offshore include:

Blaster/Painter
Non Destructive Test Technician
Insulator
Rigger
Electrician
Mechanical fitter

See http://www.rigg-access.com/rope-access-jobs-main.asp for more of an idea.

Be aware that getting a first job can be very tricky.

Generally offshore rotations are 2 weeks on 2 off, which is great for going on trips.
The life can be really interesting and exiting, but is often punctuated by monotony and boredom, for various reasons.
The upper limit for IRATA 1 offshore is around £20 per hour these days. 12 hour shifts, for 14 days straight makes for a decent income. IRATA 3, a good bit more. In W Australia, offshore, Rope access Insulators are making around £500 per day currently. These guys have served trade apprenticeships though.

All in all, if you take a long term view a career in Rope Access can highly rewarding in terms of time and money.
 Adam Lincoln 27 Jun 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

One of the biggest things is, 'who you know, not what you know'.
OP CharlieMack 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

Cheers, guys. Very informative. Much as i expected. Hoping to get the irata qual, and as i'm working with that and NGB work. I can top it up with other quals like sparky etc. And also moving up toward MIA etc.

Seems there is good work around for both careers, but slightly few and far between. I'm hoping that between the two i can forge a good career playing the two off one another.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...