UKC

when to book huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 28 Jun 2013
How far in advance do you normally need to book huts around the saas valley area? we're going to be there last week in July so i'm guessing they'll be pretty busy then. Specifically thinking the almageller and hosaas... Also, do you need to bookcampsites down in the valley or is it fine normally just to turn up? Thanks
 jon 28 Jun 2013
In reply to ralphio:

That week leads up to Swiss National Day which has to be the busiest time of the year for the huts, so do it as soon as possible. Campsites, no idea.
 Adamski1986 28 Jun 2013
In reply to ralphio:

I was there for the end of July last year and had no problem getting booked into either huts or campsites. We were just booking the huts the night before as usual. It was quite busy at times but no where near over crowded!
 Blinder 28 Jun 2013
In reply to jon: Swiss national day is the 1st Aug (just in case you did not know).
 jon 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Blinder:

Yes, I did know - it in fact falls on the Thursday of that week (I hadn't checked when I posted). I guess it depends whether Ralphio means that week or the one before...

Bootsy 09 Jul 2013
In reply to ralphio: we camped in Saas Grund in early August last year and when I asked about reservations I was told it wasn't required. Sure enough when we tipped up on a Saturday morning there was plenty of space.

We stayed at the Almageller, Weissmeis and Britannia huts. All were busy, none were full. Britannia was probably the busiest of the three and is run like a very tight ship so I'd definitely advise booking ahead there.
 JohnnyW 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Blinder:
> (In reply to jon) Swiss national day is the 1st Aug (just in case you did not know).

Was there a few years ago, and got involved on the National Day celebrations in the square at Saas Grund. There was a wee organist lass (Melissa I think she was called), and a singer. Dead kitsch, but great fun. Ended up on a Jagerbomb and snuff session with the owner of the Roby down in some cellar somewhere. Great night, but didn't get much climbing done for a day or so afterwards!

Same as Adam though, no problems with hut bookings on the hoof, even that week.
 Blinder 09 Jul 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: That little cellar bar is cool, ended up missing the last bus home from Saas Fee last year so walked to grund, had a couple more beers in the bar. Took me 1:30 to walk up the track to my house, normaly takes 30 mins. Got home around 5am. Never agian.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...