UKC

Climbing near Aberystwyth - partners or courses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alitamlit 29 Jun 2013
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for climbing in this part of wales - I'll probably be there for a couple of weeks and wouldn't mind getting out but don't know anyone around there or what's about (i'll look in the logbooks too).

I would be interested in:

- partners - anyone who fancies a climb - I am reasonably experienced but wont have any more gear than my harness and shoes

- clubs that I could drop in on

- courses - as I said I'm reasonably experienced and can lead outdoors but I would quite like to build some confidence and maybe learn to multi-pitch lead - if anyone knows of a good and reasonably priced guide or company I'm happy to have any tips!

Not sure this is the best place to post this so if there is a better place please feel free to move it.

Cheers for the help,

Ali
 duchessofmalfi 01 Jul 2013
In reply to alitamlit:
Sadly there isn't really any climbing (or many climbers) near aber - go north my friend!
 Hans 02 Jul 2013
In reply to alitamlit: Having studied at Uni there for a number of years, and been an active member of their mountaineering club, I can safely say there's not a lot worth doing south of Cadair Idris. The best route near to Aber is probably Cyfrwy Arete if you climb easy, or if you climb hard E grades just head to Tremadog.

Enjoy finding somewhere; I had many frustrating days of not being able to find transport to get north but if you have a few days in a row the bus service is superb value for money (X55 from the train station gets you all the way to Bangor via Porthmadog (i.e tremadog area)).

Alternatively head south to Pembroke/Gower. Barmouth slabs not really worth bothering with, and any bouldering is pretty uninspiring.

Get to Plas y Brenin if you want to go on a course, or look on the Mountain Training Association website to find a qualified instructor. There are a few near to Aber.

cheers, hope that helps.
OP alitamlit 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Hans:

Thanks for the replies I'll have a look further afield!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...