UKC

Chamonix -leaving stuff in tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ethan Thomas 01 Jul 2013
Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on leaving gear behind whilst heading out for the day. Is it safe to leave in the tent? Are their places where I can lock it up?

Cheers,
Ethan
 CurlyStevo 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Ethan Thomas:
well we did it..... Thats not to say its 'safe' to ever leave stuff in a tent, but it didn't seem that dodgey either.
 Petarghh 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Ethan Thomas: everyone normally looks out for one another, at the campsite I normally go to the guys that run it are pretty good at making sure no ransoms wander on to the site, also they place climbers of the same nationality together, so if you go off to do a route there should be some Brits around to make sure no one goes in your tent.

Pete
Don Whillans ate my hamster 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Petarghh:

I've had stuff nicked from a tent many years ago. That was in Snell's Field though... We reckoned it was a couple of local teenagers who were hanging around, probably not other climbers. After a while a couple of Spanish guys pitched up next to us with the biggest Alsatian dog I have ever seen. They (and the dog) were very friendly and we did't loose any gear after that.

I'd keep anything remotely nickable well out of sight; very few people would be mad enough to take a sweaty sleeping bag or a pair of manky trainers, but stuff like head torches and stoves can be quickly pocketed.
 John Ww 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Don Whillans ate my hamster:
> (In reply to Petarghh)
>
> I've had stuff nicked from a tent many years ago. That was in Snell's Field though...

Same here, again years ago,

> I'd keep anything remotely nickable well out of sight; very few people would be mad enough to take a sweaty sleeping bag or a pair of manky trainers, but stuff like head torches and stoves can be quickly pocketed.

Good advice, but we lost all of our ice gear while we were away doing a rock route.

JW

pneame 05 Jul 2013
Standing around in Snell's in 70s...
couple of Spanish lads wander up:
"can you camp here"
"yes, just put a tent up"
"is free"
"yes"
"are there thieves here?"
"of course not, we're british"
<roars of laughter>
The lads scampered. We never saw them again.

stewieatb 05 Jul 2013

Never had a problem at the Glacier d'Argentiere campsite, Julian and Audrey keep a pretty good eye on who goes in and out and people will generally keep an eye on your tent if you're off on a route.

Nevertheless, keep anything valuable out of sight - don't leave your new Quarks poking out from under your tent or whatever.
 GridNorth 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Don Whillans ate my hamster: It's payback from the French for all the stuff Brits nicked from the shops back in the 70's and 80's. Brits were renowned for it I'm ashamed to say.
 goatee 06 Jul 2013
In reply to eth9: While its possible that stuff can be taken anywhere I have never had a problem. I stayed in Vallorcine. Just take your passport and air tickets etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...